Spoilers New Picard TV Series and Litverse Continuity (may contain TV show spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by chrinFinity, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the MSW novels are still the formulaic murder-of-the-week sort, or if they've evolved into greater complexity. (And also I wonder how Jessica keeps getting away with it.)

2. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Murder, She Wrote series seems to be primarily the work of one author (Donald Bain) who passed away last October. He wrote an average of two novels a year beginning in 1994, for a total of 47 novels. He was a ghostwriter most famous (or not) for writing all of Margaret Truman's novels.

If Bain decided not to write any Murder, She Wrote novels, and stick to his own fiction instead or other ghostwriting opportunities, there would be no Murder, She Wrote expanded universe.

3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Jessica Fletcher wrote them?

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jessica Fletcher is the series' main character played by Angela Lansbury.

5. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

Or "ENTERPRISE: The First Adventure" for that matter.
    Donald Bain also writes the novels under the pseudonym Jessica Fletcher as (I presume) part of the licensing agreement, a metafictional conceit because the TV series' main character (of the same name) is a mystery novel author who writes stories either directly or partly inspired by her real life experience "solving" crimes.

ABC did the same thing releasing novels written by "Richard Castle" as a tie-in to Castle which follows a somewhat similar premise, except for the part where it is heavily implied in the later seasons that the protagonist has been the murderer all along.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's also God Hates Us All, which is credited to the fictional main character of Californication, Hank Moody. I watched part of the first season a while ago, and the book is a big part of the show since Hank is supposed to be a one hit wonder author, with GHUA being that one hit.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

9. thribs

Fed space is bigger than that

10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Lotta marker happening around the tri-border between the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans.

I was talking to a friend about all the "Destiny" hubub, and I basically settled on "The people in charge have yet to close any avenue of speculation." Everything could still mean anything, which is exciting, in a tense sort of way.

SolarisOne and tkorn6544 like this.
  11. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everything on that map except Borg space is smaller than that.

Destiny as a miniseries huh? Interesting possibility.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I wish I could blame autocorrect, but that was just me screwing up. In my defense, I wrote that book a LONG time ago. :)

Oz Trekkie likes this.
  13. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Plus there was the manuscript Sawyer was reading in Lost, which was published "posthumously as the author died on Flight 815".

Then the writers of the show found out how rubbish it was, so decided the author was the guy who got sucked into the plane engine in the pilot.

Therin of Andor and ryan123450 like this.
  14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He edited the description of the image to say that this map of the Galaxy as of the end of Voyager.

15. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

With a big arrow coming from Borg space to the alpha quadrant, and something rubbed out with a finger in the middle of Borg space.
    And a lot of other arrows.....

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably voyager coming home and the unimatrix being destroyed.

Considering how rough it is, I imagine it was drawn while Kirsten was talking, the map would only make sense if you were there while it was being drawn.

17. Omega Particle

Omega Particle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This NYCC interview with Alex Kurtzman on Digital Spy feels like he's speaking exactly to this whole thread - http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-t...68679/star-trek-boss-impossible-to-fix-canon/

18. thribs

It isn’t that hard to keep continuity. You just hire super fans to go through it.

19. Omega Particle

Omega Particle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Given we have three separate and entirely different post-Nemesis continuities (the novels, the IDW post-Nemesis stories like Countdown, Hive, and Picard's appearance in Q Gambit, and Star Trek Online) and that different fans subscribe to different ideas about which of those continuities has precedence, I don't think that it's easy at all.

20. thribs

Just keep with the on screen stuff. No need to complicate it.