New Picard series is a Thanos snap to Treklit.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Chancellor M'rek, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Chancellor M'rek

Chancellor M'rek Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's obvious the new Picard series is going to wipe out the interconnected Treklit canon that started in 2001 with DS9's Avatar.

Who will you be sorry to see go? Who are you glad to see wiped out and blown into dust?

Sorry to see go:
    New deep space nine?

Happy to see go:
    T'Ryssa Pixie Dream Girl Chen
    President Nan "I'm so witty and hip" Bacco
    The plot fix aliens who wiped out the Borg and made Erika Hernandez a god
    Vedek Kira
    Section 31's destruction.
    Gell "I'm just as hip and witty as Bacco" Kamenor
    Obsession with showing me the Tzenkethi all of the time. (No one cares about them Una)
    the Breen.. oh god David Mack, the Breen nonsense, wipe it out all of it. Wolf snouts and gas beings all of it!

2. marlboro

marlboro Captain Captain

You'll be eating crow when you find out the Picard series is a word for word adaptation of Death in Winter.

p.s. The only thing worse than Harry Potter allusions? Comic book movie allusions.

3. Dimesdan

Dimesdan Living the Irish dream. Premium Member

It's not obvious, only speculation.

And I'll still have my books, so if a new continuity is created, they'll still be there

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, no offence to the designers, but that thing is ugly.

Heh, switch everything in your lists around and you'll have mine.

5. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd been keeping up with the new books but I got bogged down in "The Crimson Shadow". Never finished it and haven't read anything after that. Don't feel the pressure catch up now.

6. thribs

thribs Commodore Commodore

It just means a different timeline; similar to that of the JJVerse.

7. DS9forever

DS9forever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd like to see the elements from the post-finale writers room discussion in the DS9 documentary be adapted in some way.

I've liked the novels for many, many years but with Trek back on screen I think the current crop has had their day.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's really not obvious at all. We really don't know enough about it right now to to say for sure what it will do to Trek Lit. We do know it takes place several years past where the books are now, so there is a pretty good chance that the books will be able to change things as they go to fit in with the Picard show.

Meh, I could take it or leave it. I don't hate it, but I wouldn't miss if it it does go away.
    I would hate to lose these two, they are two of my favorite characters.
    Definitely would miss Destiny and the Caeliar.
    I think this is the one point I agree with you on.
    Kamemor is awesome.

I love the Trek Lit Breen, the way David Mack worked in all of the different theories we heard on DS9 was brilliant.

Things I would miss:
    Dax as Captain of the Aventine
    The Memory Omega version of the Mirror Universe
    Voyager and the Full Circle fleet back in the Delta Quadrant
    New Data
    The Vanguard story and characters
    The Typhon Pact

9. Kilana2

Kilana2 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't have any problems with the new Picard show and the current Lit adventures existing both at the same time. The new show wouldn't wipe out any existing story lines. At least not for me.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's not how it works.

The-ins are obligated to follow on screen continuity. Obviously your books won't evaporate away, but they will come to an end.

Markonian and Enterprise1701 like this.
  11. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The novel seems to be ambiguous whether Section 31 is entirely gone, since Control seems to have periods when it shuts Section 31 down, then brings it back later.

12. Kilana2

Maybe. I will wait and see what happens next year with the new show and the novelverse.

13. Relayer1

There's been a thread with some of the Treklit authors and it's their opinion that if new shows contradict the existing novel continuity the subsequent novels must fall into line.

If that happens, I kind of hope they can do a coherent reset as the final novel or novels, so as to lead into the new continuity.

14. Mysterion

Mysterion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good riddance: that new design of DSN

Sorry to lose: President Bacco, Prof. Sonek Pran, Captain Dax

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  15. Kilana2

I confess this will be a difficult thing. I'm excited to see how this will be resolved.

And: Bacco was murdered. But there is no one I would be glad to see gone...... I would even miss Chen.

16. Relayer1

I think it's a shame but the authors are practical people. As a business decision they know restricting a tv show with a potential audience of millions to a novel continuity with a readership in a few tens of thousands just wouldn't be a consideration.

If the Picard show says he retired after a long and distinguished career, that could be accommodated. If it says he quit Starfleet after Nemesis, they've got problems.

17. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Premium Member

I feel like if there was a really good chance of the novelverse being wiped out altogether, we wouldn't be getting (at least) two more TNG(-era?) novels on the slate. With the schedule in the shape it is, "Collateral Damage" is going to be either July's novel, or some time after August, which is a window that's getting pretty close to the late-2019 time period for Untitled Picard Series's debut. It feels weird to me that the new Picard show would coincide with a book it stomps all over, especially since with the DSC novels, CBS almost seems to be viewing them as a way to get promo art for the new show into bookstores and libraries. Never mind the possibility that CD is going to come out after UPS's premiere.

Plus, all the other stuff from when we were first learning about UPS that we talked about at the time; the decade-and-a-half gap in story-time between the novelverse and the new show, the tentative steps DSC took towards involving tie-ins more directly with storylines as is the case in most other cross-media SFF franchises, the precedent for shows carving out an area to the side for novels to play with as was the case in New Frontier (though the writers of DS9 did forget about that when they slipped in a throwaway line about "Captain Shelby" once).

SolarisOne, Leto_II and TheAlmanac like this.
  18. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What do you mean ‘see go’? Whatever the new series(es) will do or say, I’m still going to have the books. This is STAR TREK. The multiverse is big enough for peaceful coexistence of multiple timelines. They’ll still exist.

And this is all speculation for now. Yes, the writers of the show will always prioritize their work, but they clearly have awareness of the novels and draw from them as is - with Kristen Beyer on Discovery’s staff alone, they have an opening to ask, at the very least, what the novels have done and consider incorporating it.

Even if this branch concludes, though, the stories don’t go away. They’ll still be here.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Kang, now with ridges Premium Member

The books I read take place in the 22nd and 23rd Centuries. So to quote a famous Captain
    [​IMG]

SolarisOne, PiotrB and trampledamage like this.
  20. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

When it ends, I just hope it's with a bang not a whimper.

Paul Weaver, Leto_II and ryan123450 like this.