new Making of Trek II book

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Khan 2.0, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

2. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

There already was one.

makingstii.jpg

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They wanted to do better.

4. youngtrek

youngtrek Commander Red Shirt

How cool. At $50 I’m assuming that it’s one of those big coffee table books like most of the “making of” various films books have been. So, it really doesn’t matter that there was a previous Making of Star Trek II book back when the movie came out as this one should be an entirely different presentation with lots more material to cover and nice big photographs (not to mention that the original is long out of print, even if it might still be relatively easy to find from used books sellers; I don’t know because I’ve had my copy for probably fifteen or twenty years now).

I look forward to this and also the Making of Star Trek: First Contact book that also due out in September. (Wow! Both in the same month!)

—David Young

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I am looking forward to this one

6. Steve Roby

I'm looking forward to the new book, but it doesn't hurt to be aware that there was one done at the time. I mean, we've got the Reeves-Stevenses' book on Phase II, but if someone at Pocket ever stumbled across the Allan Asherman book that was pulled at the last moment back in the '80s (possibly because of the writers' strike that led to TNG recycling a Phase II script), I'd want to read it.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Seconded

8. youngtrek

I agree. I’m sorry, I guess I read your statement, “There already was one”, as being dismissive of this new one, when that wasn’t your intention.

—David Young

9. Steve Roby

No problem, it was more just me being the old guy who remembers the old stuff. Back when I did my Trek books website one of the initial motivations was to cover things that been largely forgotten back then, like Mission to Horatius (before the reprint), William Rotsler's Star Trek II and III kid fiction, the Bantam novels, etc. Even the Pocket Books website didn't have all of its 1980s Star Trek publications listed. I have several books about the making of TMP so I've got room for another TWOK book.

publiusr, Leto_II, Avro Arrow and 2 others like this.
  10. youngtrek

I miss your website!

—David Young

11. Steve Roby

Thanks. It was fun for a few years, but then a few things happened around the same time -- the desktop PC I used died and the much newer laptop didn't want to work with my old software, I lost my job, etc. The site was hosted on the Well, which was more a BBS than a website host, so even if I'd had more technical skills I wouldn't have been able to do much while it was there, and in the meantime wikis were taking over, and some appeared to be swiping some of my content. So it felt like it would be more work than it was worth to keep going. But I got some good experiences out of it.

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

It should be a good book. We've talked to John Tenuto about it, and he's provided us some documents over the past couple of years.

publiusr, Leto_II and TheAlmanac like this.
  13. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I was able to provide some script drafts to the Tenuto's for their research on this book, so I'm excited to see the final product!

Leto_II and Avro Arrow like this.
  14. Firebird

Got a notification from Amazon this morning that said the release date has been pushed back to September, 2023? Why would it suddenly get pushed back a full year?

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't know, but the publishing industry today is dealing with a lot of shortages and delays due to the pandemic, so it might be part of that.

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's true because I've had to wait 3 &4 months to get books I ordered this year.I finally got a mystery book I've waited 3 months to get it.It was due to shortages to and it seems to make it longer getting the novels printed. It was worth the wait .

publiusr likes this.
  17. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

The official Titan site says September 5, 2023.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The book is out! Picked up mine in Sydney yesterday, and was thrilled to find myself (and numerous other TrekBBS identities) in the Acknowledgments page! Its a gorgeous book, and a great companion to the one on TMP.

[​IMG]
    ST II Acknowledgments
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Thanks John & Maria!

Tosk, Firebird and F. King Daniel like this.
  19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I can't believe they didn't thank me! After all I did for them!

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  20. Firebird

I will never get over being credited in an official Star Trek book between ILM and Nick Meyer. I was already more than happy to help in a small way, but seeing my name in the special thanks? Absolutely surreal.

Therin of Andor and Tosk like this.