New Frontier Excalibur Question

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Hartzilla2007, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I read on a New Frontier Fan site that Peter David was originally going to replace the Ambassador-class Excalibur with a Prometheus-class ship. Anyone know if this is true and if so why didn't they go through with it?

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a good question... Since I can't imagine anyone telling Peter he COULDN'T do something with his series, given all the crazy wacky insane things he's already done with it...

Mark

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That's the first time I've heard of that.

4. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Never heard that either but imagining Calhoun with one of those ships is fun.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know if PAD ever said that, but I recall that John Ordover said that shortly after the Voyager episode with the Prometheus was broadcast.

6. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I'm trying to remember where I read it (I think it was in the Communicator) but I, too, definitely remember that they considered making the Excalibur-A Prometheus-class. Which would've been cool. On the other hand, the end of "Being Human" would've been a pain in the butt with three bridges to keep track of instead of just two.

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

that's on danhauser's fan site.

8. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe PAD decided to follow the Enterprise classes for the Excalibur. E-C was Ambassador, E-D was Galaxy, and E-E is Sovereign. Excalibur was Ambassador, Excal-A is Galaxy, so Excal-B will probably be Sovereign-class.

9. Felkin

Felkin Commander Red Shirt

I, for one, would have preferred it if the Excal-A had been Prometheus class.

a) It's a kick-ass class of ship, one we have seen far too little of in ST.
    b) The Prometheus class would have allowed one ship to cover more of sector 221-G, although the introduction of the Trident achieved the same result.
    c) It would have forced Pocket Books to create new images of a Prometheus class ship for the NF book covers, rather than just reusing twenty year old publicity photos of the Ent-D (something I've always disliked about the modern photoshopped NF covers)!

10. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I agree. My feeling is that the Galaxy is too much... well, too much Picard-y for someone like Calhoun. Big, reassuring, majestic. Beige.

Calhoun deserves something more kick-ass (as the Prometheus is).

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Calhoun should be tootling around in a Defiant class. that's KICK-ASS!

12. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

I think giving him a Galaxy class ship makes sense. A lot of New Frontier is about relationships and this can be done easier on a Galaxy class ship, especially when you want to include children as well.

At first glance the Prometheus class is very interesting but fiddling with three bridges and three ship parts can also be a nuisance to a writer, I can imagine.

I think there is a much better solution because I think Calhoun needs a "kick ass" ship: It has been mentioned a few times that Calhoun has his private ship on board. I would like to learn more about it and see it used more often.

13. The Nth Doctor

I'm glad that Peter David didn't go with the Prometheus class, but at the same time I wish he hadn't gone with the Galaxy class either. I would have liked having something new.

14. Braxton

Braxton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It should have been an Akira-class instead. I've always liked this class and wish it would be used for something other than a background ship.

15. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Actually, I thought the Prometheus was a pretty bad idea, and I'm glad we've seen as little of it as we have. Having three sets of everything in one ship so that it can separate and operate as three ships... how often is that going to be more useful than having three separate ships? How useful is a ship like that going to be for the 90%+ of the time that it's operating in standard mode as a single ship? How efficient and useful would your car be if it could separate into three cars?

(No, I don't think Transformers are cool, either. I was already at university when Transformermania started in the '80s.)

This is just my opinion, of course. But it seems to me that the Prometheus is to starships as Seven and T'Pol's outfits were to uniforms. They make some of the audience drool but they don't really make a lot of sense.

16. Braxton

Braxton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Prometheus' MVAM is a cool idea. Although I have to say that keeping the ship as one single ship is better than allowing it to split into three separate ships, mainly because of the size. If the Prometheus was the size of the Galaxy-class (or even slightly bigger), the MVAM would work a lot better IMO. As a whole, the Prometheus is a much better ship if it did not have the MVAM.

17. greenmystik

greenmystik Captain Captain

they should have given Calhoun an Excalibur class ship

18. The Nth Doctor

No, that's even sillier than giving them a Prometheus class ship. The Enterprise never had an Enterprise class ship.

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Tech fandom has called the Enterprise-A an Enterprise-class ship for twenty years now. ;)

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^Actually, the movie refit of the TOS ship was called the Enterprise class behind the scenes and in fan references, and the door to the bridge simulator in TWOK reads "Mark IV Simulator, Enterprise Class" (though the word "Enterprise" is hard to read there). But Scotty's blueprints in TUC called it "Constitution Class."