New FC making of book

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by NCC-73515, Oct 16, 2022.

1. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Amazon customer review:

"Seems to be somewhat based on the old softcover from 25 years ago. Pictures are nice and big, great new ones I haven’t seen before. Be aware that this is a very thin book, not o lot of pages. Pricing is too high, this should be $25."

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Huh? That seems to be mixing the two publications.

The new hardcover is not "thin". 160pp.

Author is Joe Fordham. The previous "making of..." was a trade paperback by Lou Anders, Larry Nemecek and Ian Spelling. 128pp. That book used text written for Titan's Star Trek magazine.

4. NCC-73515

I don't have either, but wanted the 96 one back then. If I get the new one, will I still need to get the old one as well, or does the new one include most of the old one anyway?

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I was just quoting someone else's review.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

My old one is storage, but since one book is from the day, and based heavily on UK magazine articles, and the other is current day and freshly researched, the text will be quite different. The new one has the advantage of putting the movie into its historical perspective. The original book was hard to find in the USA, I understand.

Contents - Original:
    Discover all the behind-the-scenes secrets of the movie including:
    * In-depth interview with first-time movie director Jonathan Frakes
    * Profiles of the all-star cast
    * Special features on guest stars Alfre Woodard, James Cromwell, Alice Krige, Dwight Schultz and Robert Picardo.
    * See how the production team built the new Sovereign class U.S.S. Enterprise from concept sketch to finished film
    * See how the costume and make-up teams created the villainous Borg
    * Marvel at the technical wizardry of Industrial Light & Magic's special effects.

Contents - New:
    * Introduction
    * Setting up the film
    * The hunt for a director
    * Writing the story
    * Building Enterprise-E
    * Creating 2063
    * Recreating an old enemy
    * The visual effects
    * Shaping a legacy
    * Acknowledgments.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  7. NCC-73515

Thank you! So the old one has 3/6 interesting things and the new one has 5/10 interesting things :D
    I'll just get the new one and then wait and see if I ever run into the old one...

8. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Reanok likes this.
  9. youngtrek

youngtrek Commander Red Shirt

(Copy of post I made to my personal Facebook page and various groups there.) I finished reading Joe Fordham's Star Trek: First Contact: The Making of the Classic Film (2022) a few days ago. A very entertaining behind the scenes look at what is (I think) pretty much universally regarded as the best of the four Star Trek films based on the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" tv series cast. (Although, I have to say that referring to it as "the classic film" doesn’t feel quite right to me because, even though this book was intended to be released in 2021 in time for First Contact's twenty-fifty anniversary, it still doesn't seem that First Contact (1996) is quite old enough yet to be called a "classic film". Then, again, it could just be that it makes *me* feel very OLD to see it put that way.)

The book is divided into chapters based on the development and major elements of the movie: the development of the script, the design of the new Enterprise-E, the casting of the major new characters, designing the Montana of 2061 locations as well as redesigning the Borg for the big screen, etc. Much of the information will already be familiar to the diehard Star Trek fans who read lots of behind the scenes Star Trek books, magazines, websites, etc., but there are still many interesting quotes from the actors, writers, producers, and director Jonathan Frakes to make it still worth while reading for them, and the book is written in such as way as not to overwhelm the casual Star Trek fan.

My one slight complaint is that while there are loads of pictures in this book from the film and also of behind the scenes development art--indeed, there are pictures on pretty much every page--a lot of the pictures from the actual film (and even some of the promotional stills) have a blurry look to them, as if taken from film screenshots or stills that have been enlarged. The reaction is often one of, "that's a great picture, I just wish it was in better focus". And since the pictures often dominate each two page spread, it can overtime detract a bit from what one is reading.

Still, even with that small complaint, I really enjoyed the book and highly recommend it for fans of the Star Trek movies, "Next Generation", and Star Trek: First Contact in particular. I gave it four out of five stars on GoodReads. (Copy read was checked out from the Tampa/Hillsborough County Public Library which added it to their collection upon my request.)

—David Young