New Computer: Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Ro_Laren, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

When you do a Google search of Windows 10 it seems like all of the search results talk about the pros and cons of upgrading your current operating system to Windows 10. However, I haven't really seen any feedback about brand new computers with Windows 10. Has anyone else heard anything? If someone buys a new computer today, is it best to try to find a model with Windows 7 or is Windows 10 good enough that a new computer with that OS will operate just as smoothly as a computer with Windows 7? What sort of difficulties could you experience with a brand new PC running Windows 10?

2. Bagofmostlywatr

Bagofmostlywatr Commander Red Shirt

You're unlikely to find a new computer for sale with Windows 7 on, most manufacturers were finishing it when I bought my desktop in 2013.

3. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

If you buy a Windows 7 computer it will just remind you periodically to upgrade to Windows 10, and at some point it will upgrade automatically unless you intervene.

---------------

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Just get 10. It's here to stay.

Amaris and mos6507 like this.
  5. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

It is available if you get it on-line. I think that some or all of those computers come with Windows 8 and the option to downgrade to Windows 7.

But the main point of this post is to ask people what they have heard about new computers with Windows 10. Are there problems with that OS when it is on a brand new computer? Any networking issues or other bugs?

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Too vague a question. But sure, I'll bite.

I just built a new computer with Windows 10 over the weekend. Installed flawlessly. Detected all my hardware and installed all drivers without a hitch. I installed the OEM drivers for each device just to be safe.

Haven't used it enough to say whether it has issues but I haven't run into any. Seems to work fine.

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

A brand new computer is less likely to have problems with Windows 10 than an older system because the vendor will be up to date with their drivers.

They tend to be less so for older and that can cause issues because Microsoft generally relies on the device manufacturers for driver support.

8. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I was able to purchase a laptop with Windows XP (for playing older games that don't work on Windows 7 and higher). I promptly disabled the automatic updates so I wouldn't wake up one morning to find the computer no longer works as intended.

If you want Windows 10, I recommend a new computer with Windows 10 already installed. That way there are no old files that may become inaccessible and no old programs that may become non-functional.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Plus, Microsoft will no longer be issuing driver support for Windows 7 (or 8) regarding new hardware. So if you have a new PC, and Windows 7 doesn't recognize the hardware, you're SOL unless you upgrade to Windows 10.

10. Marc

Wouldn't that only be WHQL drivers have been provided by the vendors to Microsoft for certification? I'm sure if the vendors wanted to release new drivers for old version of Windows they would be quite welcome to.

However they won't be releasing support for future Intel processors for older versions of Windows. Want your MS OS to take full advantage of Skylake and beyond then it's Windows 10 of bust.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/15/windows-10-embracing-silicon-innovation/

Amaris likes this.
  11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Indeed, and it's only going to grow from there. In a few years it will be pointless to have Windows 7 if you want a new PC. This time around Microsoft is making sure Windows 7 doesn't become the next Windows XP.

12. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

I built a new PC in November and installed Windows 10 on it and any problems have been minor. The biggest headache for me was removing all the Windows apps I wasn't interested in.

That may be true generally but I recently upgraded a five year old Dell Studio XPS 9100 to Window 10 Professional and it went so smooth it was scary.

---------------

13. Marc

There's documentation out there on doing it but it's a bit of stuffing around with powershell but once you've done that it's good riddance to useless apps.

That could be a combination of standard hardware and the fact it's a Dell.

These day stuff like network adapters are pretty standard (such as the using Realtek or Intel for ethernet). Wireless adapters have the potential to be a bit tricker.

Think the video drivers are probably the biggest catch from personal experience - onboard video's probably not too bad, discrete cards from using Nvidia or AMD chips can be harder.

Have an Athlon X64 board and chip sitting behind me - might be interesting to see how Windows 10 goes with the on-board graphics. It's about the same vintage as your Dell.

Printers and mulitfuctionals could be a hassle. I'm having to use the Windows 8.1 drivers for my Canon MFP because the pricks haven't released Windows 10 drivers and the less said about the Lexmark X1100 some-one sold my mum the better (then again it doesn't even have windows 8.x drivers).