New Catalog covers and info- cover/info not final

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Dec 21, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Well, the blurb for Cast No Shadow is more or less correct, but the cover is somewhat misleading and it gets the title wrong...

3. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

James I didn't know you had written a book on David Fincher. He's one of my favorite directors working right now.

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

And it's an excellent book too - shame the publisher has gone... (It's about eight inches from my left hand where I'm sitting...)

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think it's already been stated that the blurb given for Declassified is incorrect; the stories described there are placeholder ideas proposed early in the process, and the actual stories they settled on are different. As for the cover, I assume the other authors' names will be added, and I bet that digital model of the Enterprise is a placeholder for another Connie.

And the blurbs for the TOS books just look like someone quoted the first paragraph from each book's outline.

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

They all seem pretty cool, of the four, Cast no Shadow and Children of the Storm I'll probably buy.

I seem to remember David Mack saying as much about a blurb for Declassified was incorrect.

Is there any chance Misters Ward or Mack could comment either way though or somewhen else who is actually involved in Declassified.

7. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

Damn... Looks like I'll have to remake the cover for SK: Memento Mori before I release it. Its basically identical to the Voyager cover... And I was so fond of it. Oh, well. :sigh:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  8. Christopher

^If that title's appearing on the cover to something, it should be spelled correctly as "Memento Mori." A memento is something that helps you remember.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

But only momentarily. :devil:

10. Christopher

Please don't do that. The word "memento" has absolutely nothing to do with the word "moment." That is a pervasive misconception that I'm trying to clear up, so I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't undermine me.

11. Lonemagpie

Unless it's a deliberate pun or suchlike, of course... (I've always wanted to give *something* the title "Evilution", for example)

12. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

Indeed. Sorry mate, typo. I should be Memento Mori as you said. That would be "Remember your mortality" or "Remember that you are mortal" in english. Depending on how you translate it.

I really need to stop trusting the spell check... :brickwall:

13. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the first I've seen of the A Choice of Catastrophes cover, and I quite like it.

As Christopher said, though, the blurb is pretty much a summation of the first paragraph or so of the outline, and it pretty much fails to mention any of the things that (I think) make the book interesting!

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Funny... the only book I'm really looking forward too is Children of the Storm from Voyager, my least favorite series. :guffaw:

Perhaps I'll pick up A Choice of Catastrophes, I'll have to see how the reviews shape up on this one.

15. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I'm pretty sure I'll get Vanguard and Voyager. The other two sound interesting, but I'll need to see more before I decide.

16. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

That was a good few years ago, and Dark Eye: The Films of David Fincher is quite a bit out of date now (it only covers up to Panic Room). That said, I'm quite proud of that book, and indeed, Fincher is a very interesting subject.

Thanks, Dave. As for the publisher being gone, that's true - but their back-catalog has just been bought up by another publisher, so maybe it might see light of day again. I'd love to do a new edition...

17. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I can confirm that absolutely everything on the S&S digital catalog page for Declassified is completely wrong: the incomplete author list at the top, the cover art, the description. They even call it a novel when it's actually an anthology of four novellas. Except for the fact that they associated my name with it as an author, they got nearly every detail wrong.

18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are there Any updates for the new Enterrpise novel In Shariel's Jaws yet?I was hoping they'd have cover art or some type of Synopsis for the book come out.

19. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

It seems a little early for that one. Maybe I've got my dates mixed up but that one's not scheduled to be released for almost a whole other year; sometime in November or December 2011 if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't expect to see anything before summer but maybe we'll get lucky.

- Byron

20. Lonemagpie

Is it by any chance Signum? That'd be logical to a great degree, being that it's owned by one half of the original publisher...