New candid Nana Visitor interview

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by FrontierTrek, Oct 16, 2012.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hi all, I spoke with Nana Visitor last night and have transcribed the interview over at TrekCore: http://www.trekcore.com/interviews/nanavisitor_interview.html

She's quite candid about the perception of DS9, friendships amongst the cast, the potential of a DS9 movie and other hot-button topics. Hope you all enjoy reading it. :bolian:

2. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That was a great interview. Nana Visitor, aside from having an awesomely unique name, is among my favorite Trek actors and Kira is by far my favorite Trek female character. She's also one of the main reasons why I like Bajorans so much. The majority of the Bajorans are such strong and driven characters, like Kira and Ro. You rarely see any Bajoran's that are weak or defenseless. And above all, they're survivors. Whatever the universe throws at them, they'll take it and drive on, or die trying.

3. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Great interview. Thanks for posting.

4. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Kira was one of my favourite DS9 characters, and she was superbly played by Visitor. A class act in interviews too. :)

5. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Nana Visitor IS an awesome name, albeit written down it looks like someone paid to come and keep your elderly relatives company. :p

Seriously, though, that was a great interview. I'm curious about the "sneak away and catch up" comment about Siggid... have they moved on to new partners? If not, they still sound VERY close, so I wonder if "catch up" might have a bit more meaning...

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Nana and Sid moved on to other partners a decade ago.

(IMO) The question was in regards to a DS9 reunion, so the "sneak away" comment is just meant to indicate that it'll be a get-together for them, not fans.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That was indeed a very interesting interview. She sounds like fun. Thanks for the post.

8. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great interview, love Nana and love Kira. Thanks for posting that!

9. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Thank you so much for that. Kira is my favourite Trek character and Nana Visitor is fab!

10. Son of Quark

Son of Quark Lieutenant Red Shirt

Dude, that was an awesome interview. Thanks so much for sharing...

11. Damien87

Damien87 Ensign Newbie

Great interview. Thanks for posting. Its fascinating how much she identifies with Kira. She really lived that character for seven years. But at the same time she's still very funny and down to earth. Probably a lot of fun to talk to in person.

12. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

great interview :)
    I had the pleasure to meet her 2 years ago at a convention and chat a bit with her afterwards. She is incredibly friendly and lively and jumps from one topic to the next like a grasshopper :)

One of the questions asked was how she got into the character for each scene and she admitted that she always finds it extremely difficult to switch from herself to the character, hence she prefers to stay in character all day. That means while she waits for the next take, she's "Major Kira, waiting".
    That's quite interesting since most actors prefer to slip out of character while they have a break.

The complete panel can be streamed or downloaded here (flash plyer required) : ftp://downloads.scifinews.de/pub/13...fntv_live_nanavisitor_panel_final01_0480p.wmv

Filesize: a bit more than 1/2 GB. Might take long to load

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It's interesting that people are saying DS9 is the black sheep of the series. Every new Star Trek fan I talk to, who did not watch the show when it first airs, connects with DS9 by far the most.

14. Damien87

Damien87 Ensign Newbie

Its amazing how committed she was to that character. She used to have Kira dreams when she was doing the show. She was actually shocked when they wanted her to have an affair with Dukat, because she felt like they were asking her to date Hitler. On the DVD interview she was almost crying when she talked about how she could never forgive him for what he did to Bajor. You almost forget that Dukat is a guy in a rubber mask and Bajor is a soundstage.

15. Damien87

Damien87 Ensign Newbie

That is interesting. I showed Past Prologue to a friend who thinks Star Trek is ridiculous, and he was riveted by the show. The quality just jumps out at you, when you give it a chance.

16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the main problem is that most people who watched the other series are a bit prejudiced. They expected DS9 to be like its predecessors. However, DS9 is very different from TNG or TOS. It's like comparing apples to sausages.
    It's in the human nature to dislike what doesn't meet our expectations.

17. vedek loki

vedek loki Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice interview! I'm happy to hear she's back in New York. I saw her play Roxie in Chicago on Broadway about a decade ago, it would be nice to possibly see her on stage again.

18. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's hilarious. Well, it really shows in her performance. Most complete/fully-realized character in Trek imo. Outside of Nimoy's Spock, I guess, maybe. And in his case certain things are so iconic it's hard to evaluate.

19. Gagh

Gagh Commodore Commodore

As DS9 wore on, Visitor's performances became better and better. She was the focus of those early seasons in my eyes, and here character had grown massively by the end of it.