News Netflix not airing Short Treks, deal future questioned

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Red Panda, Sep 30, 2018.

?

What should CBS Studios International do?

1. Make CBS All Access global

61.9%
  2. Find new international partner(s)

38.1%
  1. Red Panda

Red Panda Commander Red Shirt

2. Red Panda

An FYI, the Discovery deal dates back to 2016, when CBS All Access wasn't planned as a global streaming service. Now it's rolling out in Canada and Australia, and then soon after in Europe, so it very much is a competitor now, with 4 planned Star Trek series other than DSC and loads of new shows. I mean, CBS are building an entire movie studio to film content for the service, so I understand Netflix wanting out, if that's their intention.

3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh,I wasn’t that interested in them anyway so it no big loss. There are “other” ways to watch them after all.

Orac likes this.
  4. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

These are the equivalent of webisodes. It's like complaining BBCA didn't air Pond Life from Doctor Who.

5. Red Panda

Firstly, the entire series is webisodes if you're going to use dumb outdated terminology.

This is also substantially more than your typical webisodes, given the budget ($1M to $2M an episode?), talent and storylines involved.

We know two brand new characters are being introduced to the series through these "webisodes", one of which may very well be a precursor to the Picard series give it's the same writer, so it is a big deal.

Markonian likes this.
  6. EnderAKH

Pardon me for being cynical, but it is 4 15 minute shorts being released once a month. It is entirely so that CBSAA can entice people to subscribe/stay subscribed until they get all their other flavors of Trek off the ground to keep Trek fans subscribed year round. I really don't think they will have greater franchise implications beyond that. It is quite literally the least amount of cost and effort they thought they could get away with to give Trek fans a reason to stay with the service.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Maybe they are being held over as Season Two Blu-Ray bonus features for the international market?

I can't imagine why a deal can't be worked out to let us view them?

Trying to recall, how were we offered the bonus sequence featuring the Trill from the Season One finale?

8. Red Panda

On what planet is spending anywhere between $6M to $9M on these short films "the least amount of cost and effort they thought they could get away"? Please enlighten me.

Because I think would have been a lot cheaper and easier to do, say, audio commentaries or extended versions of S1 with deleted scenes inserted in.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  9. Red Panda

We weren't. That clip is a US exclusive too.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

But at least that one was on YouTube.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  11. EnderAKH

Assuming the $8 million per regular episode number is correct, and taking the low end of your numbers, they spent $6 million on 60 minutes of content, as opposed to $8 million on around 42ish minutes. Now, the goal, remember, is to give Trek fans a reason EACH MONTH to stay subscribed until the show starts airing. I don't think releasing an audio commentary a month or bonus scenes for an ep every month gets you there. So, lets assume their experiment is wildly successful and everyone stays subscribed. That's roughly 2 million subscribers (based on the numbers we've seen spitballed around) at a minimum of $6 per month, so that is $12 million a month x 4 so that $6-9 million nets them $48 million. I would say that is pretty cost effective.

CRM-114 likes this.
  12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

References?

Turtletrekker and Vger23 like this.
  13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I was going to keep Netflix for Trek once they lost the Marvel shows. There's literally nothing else on it I want to see.

If they do drop Trek, bye Netflix...

14. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's enough on Netflix to still keep me very interested, but I see what you mean.

15. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Settle down, Red Panda. This is a discussion board, and you posted a topic for discussion. People are allowed to disagree with you.

Not sure on the logic here. While they have Trek, international CBS AllAccess can't have it. So subscribers looking for Trek stay with Netflix. How does it help a competitor for them to keep it? There's nothing in this article suggesting Netflix are planning to drop Trek as a whole.

And the deal with Netflix didn't come to an end, which suggests that this new issue doesn't spell out it's end either.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I have seen it, so an international version must have been supplied. I recall we had to wait a few days.

Ditto each time CBS all-Access released a new trailer.

17. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

JoeP, Pindar, Turtletrekker and 4 others like this.
  18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I normally dislike single image or gif responses, but seeing as it's Ezri being cute, I'll allow it. ;)

Wowbagger, Turtletrekker and Vger23 like this.
  19. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its a shame that Netflix are not going to carry Short Treks for now but can't see any evidence for the future deal being questioned other than the OP.

Pretty sure they are part funding DSC so I can't see why they would want to pull out now.

Markonian and cultcross like this.
  20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't US Exclusive, it was in Canada too, on the youtube page of the TV channel that airs the show here.