Need to find specific episode from quote being spoken

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Goober, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Goober

Goober Cadet Newbie

I need to find a specific episode to prove a point and discussion I'm having with a friend. I am not 100% certain of the details below as it has been decades but it is a start in the right direction anyways.

I remember an of the cuff comment from Riker (which would make that TNG) and he made a quote something to the effect "that civilization exhausted all their planets resources for the sake of stellar exploration". The comment really didn't have anything to do with the story line but if I remember correctly it was made on the bridge.

Our discussion is that funding should have some limits and not be unlimited. International Space Station $150 Billion and the new picture of the black hole cost $20 million. Gene Roddenberry was right on many things communicator (cell phone), pads (tablets), voice computer commands (Google Assistant) .... my thoughts is that there may have been a reference to limits on funding and would like to find that exact quote. Thanks for any help you can give.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

I've done a search on a transcript website. That quote does not exist in any TNG episode. Or indeed any Star Trek episode at all. Or even Doctor Who or Andromeda.

BillJ likes this.
  3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Vice Admiral Admiral

Gene may have been right what pads would look like but he was wrong you still had to physicaly carry it places to move its data.

That quote is probably not exact enough to be searchable. Not sure what planet it would refer to. If I happen to notice it in an episode I’ll tell you.

4. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems like once a month there's a new thread looking for a phantom Star Trek episode. Weird.

5. Goober

Goober Cadet Newbie

Thank you everyone and you are probably correct, that is not the exact quote. The context of the quote was just really a context filler when they were discussing planets or culture names and that little quip was blurted out as a comment of one of the cultures they were researching. It was Start Trek for sure and not Dr. Who. So many scenes and episodes where they are at the data station just behind the captains chair on the bridge researching something, it could be a false memory of it actually being on the bridge. Damn, really needed to find that to help prove a point :) Thanks, I'll keep checking back.

6. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Commodore Commodore

It's the Mandela Effect! Nelson Mandela strikes again!

Vger23 and BillJ like this.
  7. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Perhaps questions of real-world space program funding are better suited to the sci & tech forum, but... while these millions and billions of dollars may look like a lot to us, that is really a pretty small fraction of the national economies involved.

Kor

8. Farscape One

Farscape One Commodore Commodore

I wonder if it's "When The Bough Breaks", when Riker tells the bridge crew about the Aldeans, who got their technology so advanced it allowed their society to focus entirely on art and culture.

9. The Wormhole

Well, here's that quote:

10. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Commodore Commodore

It seems like once a week that someone can't accept the military protocol that information isn't made available on the mainframe until after review by a section head and/or the captain. Even if that wasn't the production reason for it in the '80s/'90s, it makes more sense than that the technology made a huge leap backward.

11. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

The Wormhole likes this.
  12. FormerLurker

I was vamping off of your post. This isn't the only forum online that seems full of posters that wonder why Treknology is so 'backward' that PADDs need to be carried around the ship to move information, when it could all just be uploaded to the mainframe and the intended recipient be notified it's there. Military protocol is very wise in these situations, as it prevents unwanted viewers from seeing sensitive materials before those who are responsible for its dissemination have seen it and made the decision on how much of it to make available to the masses.

13. The Wormhole

If the information is sensitive enough it probably shouldn't be on a portable handheld device to begin with.

14. FormerLurker

You're right. it should be on paper.