Ncuti Gatwa is The Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Captaindemotion, May 8, 2022.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

We have a new Doctor
    https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/ncuti-gatwa-is-the-doctor

A lower key announcement than one might have expected but here we are

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Lower-key... I've seen youtube videos with Ncuti talking about it and people's responses. The only ones worth reading were from those saying they're from the UK and suggesting the BBC has lost faith in the show because his reveal is so much lower-key than all the predecessors' and/or worse, saying the BBC wants to kill it before the licence fee goes. That's their supposition and belief.(Many others are the usual level of drek I just skimmed over.)

Then I dived into a certain anti-Chibnall channel (Tardis Zone) and among other topics, one of the 5 people was whining how they needed reassurance (?!!) by RTD, which is interesting as Ncuti's discussing "escapism" on camera at point blank range feeds into their worries. That doesn't come across potentially well either, as if they can't handle anyone other than RTD making the show (or, worse, just one single Doctor out of a dozen or infinite number) - but the BBC chose RTD to do it again despite him being tired and done with it back in 2009. Then again, some people break up with their exes and then want to come back years later after realizing they made a mistake. Ncuti's enthusiasm certainly feels authentic, which is great considering any actor's job is to sell an emotion or mindset or behavior - but definition aside, I get the vibe he's genuinely excited. I do want to see where this goes.

4. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wish they'd release the Doctor actor's auditions for the roles. I know you can find Paul McGann's but it'd be great to see Matt Smiths and Gatawa's at some point.