NC man finds Defiant toy on sale in Walmart

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DS9forever, Jan 20, 2016.

1. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Dang. If eBay prices are any indication that would be an easy flip.

3. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

It's been cloaked for 20 years.

BruntFCA likes this.
  4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

That'a a pretty sweet find. I still have mine.

5. CommanderTrip

CommanderTrip Captain Captain

lol ive dreamt of something happening similar to me... walking into a walmart and BAM! I find a playmates USS Voyager lol. I do have that Defiant that I Got as an xmas gift (Parents got it at a comic book shop when I was younger) and the Voyager (Xmas present - parents got off ebay), but still....... so cool

6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

How did they still have this after two decades? I thought stores were more efficient about getting rid of stuff to make room for new inventory and products.

Kor

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I occasionally find older models or toys available out there in secondary outlets. It is rare though.

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That lucky so-in-so.

Fortunately, I have that same kit only it is the 'Plus Pack' edition, to make me feel better. :D

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I still have mine and it's been on display since receiving it back in the 90's. I still would've scooped this one up in a heartbeat just to keep it in the box, which still looks pretty pristine.

10. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

It's employee/management laziness. Every well-run Wal-Mart I have been too when there is time clears items off shelving and cleans them, as well as sometimes simply resets the entire layout, which means removing all items, all shelves and hangers and re-doing the design and placing everything back which may or may not eliminate certain items all together.

I think a search of that store will yeild other hidden items, dust bunny kingdoms, and items that expired ten years or more ago. And somewhere in an office, reset orders that were laid aside. Employees dont' care and the management isn't managing the employees.

Hell, I still have my Playmates Voyager ship, and I think the packaging. Not having or wanting an eBay account, I've given thought to simply tossing it. It's been a pain in the ass to deal with Craigslist people, even with free stuff.

11. topcat

topcat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's normal. Walmart doesn't get to throw things out. period. Once it is in the store, it stays there until it sells or is to damaged to sell.
    The store I worked at, at any given time, we probably had 2-3 fully loaded semi trailers of seasonal/non stockable merchandise. Youd be surprised how long things LAST in semi trailers.

They cant lower the price either. They have to have it within a set percentage from the original store purchase price. That's the idea, but the assistant managers have a huge ability to go under for a genuine oddball like a 20 year old toy.
    Electronics are the worst. Its funny how many of those mp3 players and 1 mega pixel digital cameras are still in inventory.

12. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I don't know what these Wal-Marts are you talk of, but I've never seen one that holds onto all merchandise until it sells, period. For starters, it doesn't have to be damaged, it can just simply expire, which also applies to other products aside from foods and liquids. Further more there are movie tie-in products that don't stay there forever. I can go hunting got a "Ghostbusters II" luncbox, but I don't think I'll find one.

There'd never be new products, 'cause there wouldn't be room. There'd be junk-yard piles of cargo containers of unsold stuff surrounding various locations. I've worked at one and none of what you said happened there. Certain seasonal items were stored until the appropriate time arrived, like clothing and some holiday supplies, but not everything was held on to until it sells.

The old WM location at the beach here is one of the businest locations in all the United States (last I heard) -- if they hung onto everything until it sold, it would be a mess and have cargo storage units all around it. It doesn't.

13. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Notice that the label calls it a "Valiant class prototype destroyer". (Someone clearly doesn't understand how prototype names work, both in Star Trek and in real life).

And is that a Breen ship in the background? That would ballpark the release of this toy no earlier than the spring of '99. Probably not too much later, as there might not be much incentive for a toy company (not a model or collectible company like Eaglemoss) to create too much merchandise for a show that's been off the air for while.

14. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

That would be stupid. (Not saying you're wrong, just that it would be stupid on Walmart's part.) Storing stuff isn't free, it takes up shelf space they could be using for things in current demand. A rational company would give it as a donation for a tax write-off, if nothing else, if it wasn't going to sell.

15. topcat

topcat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They aren't allowed to do a donation for a tax write off. NEVER. Once the store buys the item its there for keeps.
    The one I worked in, had anywhere from 5-7 53' cargo trailers full of items that were never going to sell. Sure 2 were typically summer items that never sold, but so many things are still in there from years gone buy.
    The store I worked in just turned 10, and the trailers had items from the previous store...

Until you spend an entire hour and a half sorting through a single box bin filled with 1-1100 different packs of stickers to get it into the system you have no idea.
    One year while cleaning the shelves in grocery, we found 10 cases of soup that had expired 3-4 years before that day.
    Oddly enough the only star trek models ive ever seen were at actual hobby shops or at big lots in the 90s. The store near me had every DS9 and Voyager model.

16. Upper pylon 3

Upper pylon 3 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I bought a Quark doll/action figure (still unopened) at Half Priced Books last year. How much you think I could get for it? It's still unopened. :)

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

$1

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I had one of those Defiants, but I got rid of mine because I had too many ships and not enough display space in my old apartment.

I did find one of the Playmates Type-2 TNG phasers sitting in a local department store after missing out on it about five or six years ago. The box wasn't in particularly good shape, but the phaser inside still was so I grabbed it (it had been marked down to about three bucks). I still have it today.
    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/iTwAAOSwVL1WCV1u/$_35.JPG