Contest: ENTER Native American Heritage Month

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kai "the spy", Nov 6, 2020.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

November is Native American Heritage Month, so this contest is about showcasing notable Native Americans, Native American art and culture, and generally show some respect for once. For purposes of this contest, let's include the First Nation tribes from Canada, as well.

Entries must be 200x200 pixels and/or 1 Mb data, or smaller. No NSFW material, and no dramatized media. You may enter up to three times.

[​IMG]
    Navajo artist Shonto Begay

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Graham Greene, actor

[​IMG]
    Wes Studi, actor and musician

3. Kai "the spy"

[​IMG]
    Hip hop musician Supaman & jingle dress dancer Acosia Red Elk, from the music video for "Why"

4. think

think Like a black hole Premium Member

Trying to do this entry on my phone as we lost all TV and internet here at my gf's place since Wednesday.. I can't tell if in this episode of tos "The Paradise Syndrome" with this person playing the Native American

Miramanee.jpg

If she is native American or not.. on memory alpha or the wiki there is no mention... Though she did run for Senator of California.. I will also have trouble resizing her with my phone and pixel numbers as well.. But nobody take my choice... :)

5. Kai "the spy"

^While I couldn't find out what Sabrina Scharf's heritage is, from what I have seen and read about her, I don't believe it to be Native American. It is more likely that, as was the custom back then, a white/LatinX actor was cast and made to look like a Native American (or the stereotype of one, at least).
    Also, even if Scharf should turn out to be of Native American heritage, that image is from The Paradise Syndrome, and dramatized media is prohibited as a source, so you'd have to use a different picture of her.

think likes this.
  6. Kerock

Kerock Commander Red Shirt

Chief Dan George was always one of my Favorites, especially in "The Outlaw Josey Wales".
    [​IMG]

think likes this.
  7. Kai "the spy"

Again, no dramatized media is allowed. You may enter an image of Chief Dan George, just not from one of his movie roles. There is a nice photograph of him with fellow actors Sondra Locke and Clint Eastwood, and of course several other photographs of him to choose from.
    Also note that entries have to be 200x200 pixels or smaller, so that image would be too wide.

think likes this.
  8. Kerock

9. Kerock

Oswald "White Bear" Fredericks Hopi Story Teller and Artist. I met him once at his studio in Old Oribi on the Hopi Reservation. Oldest village in N America inhabited since 1100 AD. He was a friend of my Uncle (also an artist). Fascinating rich ancient culture.
    [​IMG]

10. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Are South American native images allowed? I'm thinking about a group of musicians from Ecuador who perform songs in a variety of languages ranging from Quechua to Spanish to Lakota.

11. Kai "the spy"

I'm gonna say yes, but I want to make it clear that by South American natives, I do not mean cultural artifacts of the Aztecs, Maya, Olmecs, or other ancient Central and South American civilizations. While they're technically natives of the Americas, I still feel like they belong in another category, maybe in a theme about lost civilizations.
    But, yes, you may enter the musicians you were talking about.

[​IMG]
    Jessica Matten, actress of Métis-Cree heritage

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Unicron, Captain pl1ngpl0ng and think like this.
  12. think

quanah1.jpg
    Chief Quanah Parker, revered Comanche chief who traveled the “peyote road” and encouraged other Indians to do the same.

And

1_LWfpSKb6n06R6FSu6yyoCA.jpeg
    Geronimo..

Before I do some kind of size edit I offer these two native Americans. I will be looking for something to edit photos sizes by pixel scaling for Android in I guess app from unless I can wait till Monday night when I am home..

Anyway are these guys ok??

Captain pl1ngpl0ng likes this.
  13. Kai "the spy"

Yes, they are.

think likes this.
  14. think

One

Two

15. think

OK one more---
    the original and the avatar :) from a stamp

Sacagawea-postage-stamp-1994.jpg

three
    Sacagawea-postage-stamp-1994 am.jpg

16. Kai "the spy"

So far we've got:

@auntiehill #1
    [​IMG]
    Graham Greene, Oneida, actor, nominated for an Oscar as Best Actor in a Supporting Role for "Dances With Wolves"

@auntiehill #2
    [​IMG]
    Wes Studi, Cherokee, actor, musician, and linguist who developed the Na'vi language for "Avatar", received an Academy Honorary Award in 2019

@Kai "the spy" #1
    [​IMG]
    Shonto Begay, Navajo, artist and writer

@Kai "the spy" #2
    [​IMG]
    Supaman, Apsáalooke, hip hop artist, & Acosia Red Elk, Umatilla, jingle dress dancer

[​IMG]
    Jessica Matten, Métis-Cree, actress best known for her roles in Canadian TV shows "Frontier" and "Tribal"

@Kerock #1
    [​IMG]
    Dan George, chief of the Tsleil-Waututh, actor and musician, nominated for an Oscar as Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Little Big Man

@Kerock #2
    [​IMG]
    Oswald "White Bear" Fredericks, Hopi, artist, muralist, illustrator of the Book of the Hopi

@think #1
    [​IMG]
    Quanah Parker, Last Chief of the Comanche, rancher, deputy sheriff of Lawton, proponent of the Native American Church

@think #2
    [​IMG]
    Geronimo, leader and Medicine Man of the Bedonkohe Apache, led repeated resistance to US and Mexican military in defense of his people and their way of life

@think #3
    [​IMG]
    Sacagawea, Lhemi Shoshone, guide and emissary to Native tribes for the Lewis & Clark Expedition

Great entries!

Okay, LAST CALL! Poll will go up on the weekend. @Timewalker , you wanted to do an entry with that Ecuadorian band you were talking of, so better get to it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  17. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]
    Buffy Sainte-Marie, musician, composer, educator, activist. First Indigenous person to win an Oscar.

[​IMG]
    Norval Morriseau / Copper Thunderbird, Anishinaabe, artist. Considered the "grandfather of contemporary Indigenous art in Canada".

[​IMG]
    Rinelle Harper, Garden Hill First Nation, advocate. After barely surviving her own horrific assault, she became an advocate for victims of violence. Called for a national inquiry into Canada's missing and murdered Indigenous women.

auntiehill and Kai "the spy" like this.
  18. Kai "the spy"