Nana Visitor doesn't get the respect she deserves

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by J47, Aug 3, 2007.

1. J47

J47 Commander Red Shirt

I'm currently near the end of the fifth season, and I just keep getting blown away by this woman. Her performance in "The Darkness and the Light" springs to mind, for one. The scene where she's lying on the biobed and telling Odo that story about joining the Shakaar...Nana just frakking nails it. I know people talk about how the cast was very good (with the exception of Farrell, though she did improve), but Nana just doesn't get singled out enough. She makes every scene she's in eminently watchable and enjoyable, whether it's meant to be heartwrenching or a laugh riot.

2. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

Nana Visitor totally rocks as an actress. She nails scene after scene. It was a perfect casting decision to have her play Kira. I especially like the way she interacts with Dukat.

3. Wicca who Wonta

Wicca who Wonta Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed! She was great as Kira! And I'll say that, as a non-religious person, she made me see all the good parts of religion because of Kira's dedication to it. She did that part splendidly!

4. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

I disagree with this thread title. I have mixed feelings about Nana Visitor's acting ability as seen in DS9, although I can see why she doesn't get as much respect as the other cast members who in my view for the most part are much better actors than Visitor.

I found The Darkness and the Light to be incredibly boring and pointless, in my view as are all Kira-centric episodes.

I think Nana Visitor is a good actress when she's not called upon to do to much past a normal demeanour. She is even good at adding nuances to her normal demeanour. But when she has to cry/snivel etc., then her acting imperfections start to surface and stick out like a sore thumb. Heart of Stone is a good example, and is compounded by how vastly out of her acting league she is when trying to hold up next to Rene Auberjonois in those scenes. Believe there are also good examples of similarly badly-acted scenes by Visitor in "Starship Down" Any of the many times she gets "pissed off" and start screaming are in my view always good examples of bad acting on the part of Visitor.

Having said all that, at least she is a million times better at acting than Terry Farrell. :D

5. jamza

jamza Ensign Newbie

The whole Kira vs Ducat saga is absolutely awesome, the dynamics and the emotional acting was in parts genius.

6. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I always liked her acting...and I think her crying scenes are very convincing. All the better for me, makes the show even better.

Kira is my absolute favourite character. She totally rocks. And Nana is a great actress who did a great job on the show. That's what I think.

7. Wicca who Wonta

^
    She's my favourite DS9 character too. I like her spunk!

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

IMO, Nana Visitor is the most talented actress in all of Trek. Kira used to be my favorite Trek character...but I'm not sure anymore. With age, I'm favoring Sisko now. But Kira would still be second.

10. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

I think Visitor will do well with BSG. She has not been on a sci-fi series since the ending of DS9. Most of the other actors have moved on with other projects. Sisko has been on one stand alone shows since then end of the series. Ezri has moved to the Dead Zone. Jadzia that quit the show and went to that show called Becker was not a smart move in the end because she was fired. O'Brian has been on movie after movie when they need someone to be Irish.

I hope that Visitor gets a good part in the show. I hope she will be more then a bit part. That bit part on Dark Angle was fine but it was only so small and so stupid.

11. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^^ Unfortunately Fox decided she was too old so her character was written out of Dark Angel otherwise her role would've been much bigger. They wrote out John Savage's character because he was too old as well.

12. Wicca who Wonta

^
    That sucks! The age fixation the industry has is going overboard! :(

13. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

How could anyone be too old on DARK ANGLE. I did like Dark Angle but I always felt Dark Angle needed a twin or a sister. Have a love hate relationship like BUFFY and FAITH.

Off topic, but hey if WILLOW had a twin it would have been fun watching WILLOW the mightily pissed off witch fighting her twin ..... pokes Ripley

14. Wicca who Wonta

^
    Ezri: Yes, that might have been quite a battle. ;)

Back on topic: And the fact that they fired quality actors like Nana Visitor might have played a part when the show didn't get picked up for a third season. I always thought the quality of the show decreased during season 2.

15. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She had a great ass.

As a black man, I respect that. Deeply.

16. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

Dark Angel would have been good if they did keep Nana. She would have been best as the tuff other woman to Dark Angel. Not in fighting, but the key to take back Max. Second, her death on Dark Angel was stupid. She was going to burn down the building with everyone but she was going to give her life for MAX. What a conflict of interests in just one show.

17. cwalrus2

cwalrus2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Did anyone get to see Nana Visitor on Broadway when she was in Chicago playing Roxie Hart? I forgot what years she did it, but i wish I had scene that show with her in it. It must have been great.

18. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just found out today she's going to be in Battlestar Galactica. When was that announced?

19. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

Some time back but I am not sure what type of character she is going to play. And I do not know how long her character is going to be on Battlestar Galactica.

20. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't wait to see, this episode.....in 2008!!!! :)