Nagging Questions Thread(Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by ConRefit79, May 19, 2013.

1. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

1. Sulu ditches the shuttle. I'm thought he and Uhura go into the ocean, but they may have been beamed aways. Where did the shuttle go?

2. Khans 300 y/o magic blood is compatible with aliens? I can buy it working on humans if I didn't know Khan before. But an alien like a Tribble. :wtf: If they could do that, I'm surprised he's not bullet proof and can fly or go in space without an eva suit.

2. The Green Mushroom

The Green Mushroom Commander Red Shirt

A very good question. Though I suppose the "easy" answer is to say that they beamed aboard the ship and then someone beamed up the wreckage. Or they just left it so thousands of years from now the Nibiru equivalent of Von Daniken can say that the Sky God was really an alien ship because he has pieces of it.

Star Trek and biological realism never really go hand in hand. And just because he can heal quickly doesn't mean he is invulnerable. Healing from the effects of a vacuum doesn't mean he won't still be in a vacuum when he's done healing. Time is the fire in which we all burn, after all.

3. Why weren't there any other ships near Earth during the fairly long time it took Enterprise to fall.

4. How did Scott manage to slip through the Vengeance' security. Even low bid private contractors should have noticed an extra ship flying into a top secret facility.

5. Why did Praxis explode early?

3. Dart

Dart Commodore Commodore

I'm wondering has it exploded in STID or is that the state the Klingon's have the moon in that causes it to explode. Maybe when it explodes it will disappear completely?

4. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah good question:lol:. Also what happened to his litle freind. Hangover?

My question would be opening scene. Why is Enterprice underwater and why didnt they just dropped this icebomb via shuttle. There was no need for Spock to suit up and go there. Also dont Starfleet have robot they could sent instead. Why risk one member of the crew?.

5. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Because the thing that changed the timeline was a Romulan ship (from the future, but probably not generally known). If the Klingons were ramping up for war with the Federation, they were probably also ramping up for war with the Romulans as a result of Nero's incursion. The increase in the military machine of the Empire could have caused an early explosion of the Praxis moon.

6. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember Khan saying the ship could be run with a skeleton crew, even just one man. So i assume there just wasn't a big crew onboard.

7. ConRefit79

Well the superman references were to illustrate the absurdity of the whole magic blood thing.

For question 3, maybe cause Marcus has them all out looking for new tech and threats. And I've already said it actually fell too fast from where it started. But I guess we've forgiven other things.

For Question 4, yeah, there is no way, unless he has some stealth shuttle.

For 5, I don't know if that is Praxis. But if it is, could be they ramped up mining and it exploded sooner. Could be from when Nero escapes. But of course no one knows he was ever captured cause that scene is cut.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't have an answer as to why the Enterprise was underwater (for which I think Scotty summed up nicely the lack of logic), but Sulu did say that the shuttle couldn't get close enough to the volcano to drop Spock's device. Remember, as Sulu attempted to stay near the volcano, the shuttle did suffer damage significant enough that it had to be abandoned.

Even if the Enterprise had robots available to send down, the same conditions that made it difficult for the shuttle to stay near the volcano may have made it impractical to use one to deliver the device. Also, since it was an experimental device, Spock likely felt that he - as its designer - needed to be the one to deliver it in case something failed to work correctly.

9. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, I edited quote (for spelling). :) But since both he and Scotty
    resigned maybe he wasn't reinstated in time for the ride.

10. KittyDuran

Not only that but IIRC he flew around Vengeance as well. Either the shuttle had some stealth mechanism to avoid detection or Scotty took the chance that all Federation ships have blind spots. I hope to watch it again today... but what where the extra ships coming from anyway?

11. KittyDuran

Oops, sorry CR79 didn't see your answer!

12. ConRefit79

Do you think Spock Prime will have the Spock phone disconnected before the next film?

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

God I hope so. It's time for these boys to take the training wheels off. :techman:

Did Kirk lose his command because he violated the Prime Directive or because he filed a false report? The wife and I both go with filing a false report.

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm thinking it was the one-two punch of violating the Prime Directive and filing the false report. The first might have gotten Kirk some sort of punishment short of demotion, but he went and compounded the problem by lying to Starfleet, so it became an issue that absolutely had to be addressed in a strong way. As Pike told him, the initial plan after his demotion was to send him back to the Academy, which seems a lot for just a false report. Pike's powers of persuasion, of course, saved Kirk from that particular fate, and instead put him in the first officer position.

15. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I go with filing the false report. There is no excuse for that whatsoever. In the real world, it's a crime for a captain to falsify his log. You also can have someone captaining a starship that you can't trust.

Actually, I found it completely out of Kirk's character to blatantly cover up an act like that. Even this young Kirk. It bothered me. Kirk may have stretched or broken regulations, but he stood behind what he did. He stood on principle in the K-M test, he didn't deny cheating or try to cover it up.

As far as breaking the Prime Directive thing goes, I don't think its interpretation in this movie fit very well with the TOS version, anyway. That said, how the hell could you bust a guy when he could (should) say in response, "Gee sir, you're right. I'm sorry. I forgot Starfleet is a selective humanitarian armada, and I should've let several hundred million intelligent humoids die even though I could've stopped it. Yeah. Scew them for not having warp drive. Rules are rules. We should feel morally superior about turning our backs on such things instead of amoral. And I'd have probably slept better that night knowing I followed the directive, even with all that blood on my hands. Of course, if there were some important mineral on that planet the Federation needed, that's different too, sir. Isn't it?"

Of course philosophical arguments like the above don't fit well into an action-adventure movie. ;)

16. ConRefit79

Remember Court Martial? Ensign Kirk doesn't cover for Finny who was a friend/mentor.

I cannot think of a single situation in TOS where they violated the PD unless it was accidental or there had been damage by prior interference they were trying to fix.

17. ConRefit79

Why could they not beam Spock and Khan from the moving platform, but Uhura had no problem?

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Scott couldn't get a lock on them for their movements around the platform but the platform was a stable enough target to land her on.

19. ConRefit79

Why would Marcus send Kirk after Khan if he wants an excuse to start a war? Right now he is a hot head he will bends regs. Just the kind of person he would want to fight the war. More mature captains would be more likely to question Marcus' push for war.

20. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Apple.