My Starship designs (OPEN TO CRITICISM!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by AdmiralGreg, Feb 23, 2017.

1. AdmiralGreg

AdmiralGreg Ensign Red Shirt

Hi all! I have been on this forum for a while, only looking. This is my very first post! Anyway, to the actual topic. I have made several ship designs over the years, so i guess here they are! I would appreciate criticism. I will start with TOS era ships and work my way up.

FIRST: The U.S.S Chronos, NCC 1971.
    [​IMG]
    A front view
    [​IMG]
    Back view
    My history for the ship goes like this: A Q gets interested in the former history of Starfleet, so the Q goes to the past. However, the crew of a Vanguard class on a top secret missions sees the Q, and gives the information back to Section 31. They build the USS Chronos to travel through time.

Next we have the USS Invictus.
    [​IMG]
    Front view, again.
    [​IMG]
    RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!
    The story behind the USS Invictus, is that around the TOS era, a project began to create larger spacecraft, with as advanced technology as possible. However, the project was put on the back burner for a while, until late TNG era when Starfleet needed more ships- fast! So the Invictus design was updated and built.

Lastly, the USS Eclipse. I don't have many renders of this so you will have to do with one.
    [​IMG]

I also don't have a backstory for this one.

My next project is going to be TMP era. So stay tuned!

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good Stuff :)

3. AdmiralGreg

OK! So I made some progress on the TMP ship. I got the saucer mostly done, as well as the secondary hull. Still some detail left to add!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am still trying to figure out how many nacceles there should be. I can see it having 4 nacceles in a flat configuration, or two normally.

4. AdmiralGreg

Here is what I mean by "flat configuration":
    [​IMG]
    (placeholder nacelles, obviously)

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like your Chronos design; the details you've put on it fit quite well with the era.

But the starfield backgrounds you're using are a bit... distracting. They really need to be toned down quite a bit, and probably need to use a higher resolution picture so that the stars aren't fat blobs (looks like the first one might be a modified texture?).

6. AdmiralGreg

With the first one, I used a noise texture and just removed 3/4 of the noise. For my newer renders, though, I am using an actual starfield. Take a look at this render:
    [​IMG]

7. AdmiralGreg

Alright, I think the mesh for the TMP ship is nearly done.

Here ya go!

[​IMG]

8. AdmiralGreg

OK. I found this old TOS render that i made a few years ago before my "lapse" in rendering. It's pretty terrible.
    [​IMG]

9. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

I dig these a lot mate! I like how they all seem to be in lineage of each other.

10. AdmiralGreg

Thanks! Though the lineage is completely accidental. :lol:

11. AdmiralGreg

Ok so there's this project I have been working on for a while, I only started this thread a few days ago though. I created a light scout ship and completed the entire interior, from bridge to engineering. I only have these two rooms to finish and then I will post it online: Transporter room and the Armory.

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I think your backstories are a bit over the top the designs themself show great promise. Especially the Chronos looks quite unique and still very much Starfleet. The TMP era design is also quite promising.

13. AdmiralGreg

Alright, Quick update! texturing on the TMP era ship has begun. I have not added insignia yet. I am having a bit of trouble with the asteking, but this it so far:
    [​IMG]

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good stuff :)

15. AdmiralGreg

OK. While texturing my TMP ship, I thought about adding in a mission module on top, like the Miranda class or the Luna class. What do you guys think?

16. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Yeah, my only real complaint was already addressed...like the designs....don't see many over/under nacelled ships like the eclipse. :)

AdmiralGreg likes this.
  17. AdmiralGreg

Alright, I decieded to add a mission module to the top of the TMP ship. Here is a photo:
    [​IMG]

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Grey background + grey ship = not much to see.

19. AdmiralGreg

Ah. It was simply a test. Okay, in the future I will use a different color.