My poor husband.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by kes7, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

According to him, the Borg were ruined by TNG. Then, he recently saw Scorpion I and II and thought Species 8472 was the coolest thing ever. He just started talking about how much he really liked them and he wished they'd done another episode with them so he could watch it. I had to tell him there was another episode ... with Boothby. I showed him a clip.

He's sort of mad at the VOY writers right now. :scream:

2. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Well, it's hard for me to look at the Borg objectively now... virtually an entire season was about the Borg, there was at least 6 (I lost count) former Borg running about, not counting Icheb cuz he's awesome, they ended the show with a Borg-themed plot, and before all that there was First Contact starring... the Borg!!!

3. kes7

Yes, but my hubby's not upset about the Borg. He figured they were ruined nearly 20 years ago. He's upset that they did it AGAIN, to 8472. All his favorite villains get turned into touchy feely humans. I told him he should probably try watching DS9, where the villiains actually seem to stay villainous.

4. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

haha... I mean, I'm sorry. :devil:

If it helps him any, there was the ep with the Hirogen and the 8472, "Prey." That was a darned good ep.

5. kes7

Only 8472 died in the end
    ... I don't think that would improve his mood much.

6. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

True, but at least said critter wasn't wussified and you can bet what happened on the Hirogen ship was sufficiently bad-ass.

7. kes7

Like so many things on Voyager, we can only imagine ...

8. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Funny, I saw this, having seen "In the Flesh" for the first time ever tonight. I do not think there are enough facepalm images on the internet to adequately describe how I feel right now.

9. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"In The Flesh" is horrible episode. :(

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the Flesh is the most tragic root system which backs up almost all my fanfiction I've written for the past ten years.

Besides, that's Ellen Tigh disguised as Johnathan Archer's great great great... Granddaughter. And the guy fromSpace above and beyond who was referred to in the Script as black Xindi (maybe not?) when they tricked him into appearing on Enterprise with money.

Unfortunately, Voyager can't coax shite out of even good actors mostly.

11. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with your hubby about the Borg. They were ruined long before Voyager started.

I also agree on 8472, not to mention that I'm upset over how some of the main characters were ruined.

Your hubby has my deepest sympathies.

12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Flesh was a great episode, how can you not love Chakotay making out with a sexy 8472, or 8472 Boothby giving Janeway a flower at the end? :D It was the perfect way to utilise species 8472.

On a serious note, I also suggest showing your husband Prey. Yes, the 8472 does die at the end but at the beginning of the episode there is a sense of dread that reaffirms that just one 8472 is a serious threat to the ship. It is also one of the very best episodes of the show and well worth watching anyway.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The fans didn't like the 8472 aliens, because they could fight the Borg. Also the cost made it hard to use them a lot, so that's why the writers had to get rid of them.

14. TheGodBen

^ Source?

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd buy half of what Anwar said, but Odo cost bucketload to shape shift and I was told that it was the same people or at least the same software used to make Shadows on B5 which was used to make 8472 who didn't shy away from using an interesting villian when they had to, and besides they're shape shifters, they didn't have to look like anything expensive.

besides it wasn't the CGI that had me freaking over these guys, or their Borg felling capacity, but how much thy freaked kes out, that was sweet. "Your Universe will be purged". That just encapsulates everything into a little blonde actress sharing a little terror with me: She was scared, so i was scared, which is why the Borg used to rock, Picard was scared so I was scared... Of course Mirror Universe beardy Riker spazzing out about his galaxy being overrun with Borg welll... The monkey did as good as the little blonde girl, it was almost as scary as when the T-1000 tried to give Wayne and Garth a ticket in Wayne's World.

16. TheGodBen

I just don't buy into the concept that 8472 had to be written out of the show due to cost and that's why we got In the Flesh. The story of 8472 was already wrapped up in Scorpion; Voyager found a way to fight them, they made an alliance with the Borg, they fought them off back to their own dimension (or the beta quadrant if you choose to listen to Unimatrix Zero). Then end. If the producers decided that they shouldn't use them again due to cost then they didn't have to do anything, their arc was finished and it could have been left that way so that 8472 could be used in the future once the cost of CGI characters was reduced. They could have been spared for one episode a season, just like the Borg in TNG. Instead we were given In the Flesh, one of the most offensively absurd episodes of the show.

As for 8472 being unpopular because they could beat the Borg, that's utter tosh. All my friends that watched Trek loved 8472 when they were introduced because the concept of an alien more powerful than the Borg was amazing at that point in time. Even my friends that didn't watch Star Trek thought it sounded cool when we told them what was happening on Voyager (the Borg were well known around that time due to the success of FC). And Scorpion is one of the most popular episodes of Star Trek ever made, even a Voyager "hater" such as myself loves that episode.

8472 was a very popular race, which is why we're still talking about them 11 years after their last appearance.

17. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tell him to do what I do, forget about it and be happy it's almost football season.:)

18. kes7

He hates football. :( I think he's recovered from his disappointment, but the look on his face last night was so sadly familiar to me as a VOY fan (despite its faults) that I had to share.

19. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's just UnAmerican!!!!:wtf::lol:

Let me guess, his face was almost like Seven's in your avatar?
    However, if he feels disappointed by Voy's bad guys, don't ever let him watch "Angel".

20. kes7

More like Janeway's when the replicator ruined her coffee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.