My Micro Paper "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" Bridge Set

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Admiral Archer, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

[​IMG]

I've always loved the bridge of the refitted USS Enterprise NCC-1701 from the first Star Trek film, and so I decided to build a little papercraft version! None of the computer screens have any detail (just solid blocks of color) but I employ some creative uses of everyday household items, such as a paper plate for the ceiling dome, and a water bottle cap painted lime green for the center navigational dome. The walls have a Kenner Millennium Falcon-esque quality to the backdrop, and there are little paper chairs for the helm, navigation and command stations. I wanted to do a full 3d tactical station, but due to limited resources I just drew it on a flat piece of backdrop. Finally, to add some light, I put the whole set on my light box, and lit it up from underneath. I wanted to add some mini figures made of paper, but I couldn't get them to look right at so small a scale. Anyway, it still looks pretty cool, if I might say so myself. :D

Anyway, this is one of my many ongoing projects, and since I am planning the construction of a 1/350 scale Enterprise from the first motion picture (wish me luck!), I thought this would be a nice little project to get me in the spirit of things.

Butters, saddestmoon, Orac and 6 others like this.
  2. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love paper craft projects and in my youth built many Trek-related paper models of my own design. This is certainly something like I would have done. When building my early paper Enterprises, I would ask my mother for her bag of split peas and use them for the round tips of the engines (yes, I was working that small). BTW, I really like the simplicity of this design and how completely sleek and futuristic it seems. Really nice job!

Cyfa, Admiral Archer and Sibyl like this.
  3. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

I LOVE PAPER SETS! I use to make little starships from cardboard and paper! This is fantastic! I never thought to make sets. Please update as you add details!

Cyfa, saddestmoon and Admiral Archer like this.
  4. Admiral Archer

UPDATE: I'm beginning work on a crew of mini paper-figures to populate my bridge set. Each figure is roughly an inch an a half to two inches tall. So far I only have Admiral Kirk and Mister Spock. I will be adding Scotty and Doctor McCoy next, hopefully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "I offer my services as science officer."

[​IMG]
    "I appreciate the welcome. I wish the circumstances were less critical"

Next up after this project: The Engine Room! :)

Atolm, Cyfa, Psion and 4 others like this.
  5. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

These paper figures are so cute, and I love the depth of field your camera has. Makes this look really fun! Spock looks great! Do you do comic art at all? You have a knack for the faces that looks calculated, but full of whimsy.

Admiral Archer likes this.
  6. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's like you've replicated that weird effect in the film where the background is both in and out of focus. Was that intentional?

7. Admiral Archer

I used to draw a lot more than I do now, and as a 14 year old kid obsessed with Star Trek The Motion Picture I used to draw the crew on the bridge ad nauseum. I come from a family of comic-type artists. My dad and brother have both created home-made comic books in the past.

If you think these guys are cute, wait 'til I get to Scotty. ;)

LOL, I wish! It was actually a complete accident, but a pleasant one. I don't use the auto-focus on my camera, as it makes the fore and background BOTH really blurry.

Galileo7, Sibyl, Orac and 1 other person like this.
  8. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the result of using a 'split screen diopter' lens. It's literally a lens split down the middle and combined with another split lens with a different refraction index. This gives the director the chance to focus on a foreground subject while also keeping a background detail clear. It isn't used too much any longer, but directors like Robert Wise and Brian DePalma were all over the technique back in the 70s.

In this case, you should be able to replicate the effect by locking down your camera so it doesn't move between shots. A tripod would be best for this, of course, but you might have to improvise something if you're using a smartphone. Place one subject close to the camera, and another in the background and off to one side. Now take two pictures, one with the foreground character in clear focus, and the second with the background character in focus. Bring these into PhotoShop or GIMP as separate layers and blend them together with the transition somewhere between the two.

9. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

This is delightful! Kirk and Spock are especially adorable in tiny paper figure form ;)
    I find papercraft quite satisfying and it looks like you do too!

10. Admiral Archer

Thank you all for the kind words! I've kinda been busy lately, so poor Kirk and Spock have been rather lonely, but I'll be making more crew members as soon as I get the chance. :)

I know this is off topic, but I did a bit of research on the lens I am using to take pictures with my camera. My camera itself is a Canon EOS Rebel T3i, but until today I had no idea where the lens came from (both were a Christmas gift to me from my dad a few years back). Today, upon doing some research, I discovered what lens I use: it's called a EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II. Whew! Long name, I know. But if anyone wants to know what lens and camera I use, those are the ones. :)

Psion likes this.
  11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Of interest--the Franken cam
    https://blog.scienceandmediamuseum.org.uk/how-big-is-the-camera-youd-need-to-film-an-ant/

An ingenious new lens enabled a caterpillar close to the camera and a narrator standing behind to be in focus at the same time.
    It was a very clever camera, a very clever lens. The lens had only recently been invented – by Jim Frazier, an Australian cameraman who we worked with on Life on Earth. Peter Jones, the producer of The Trials of Life, was very keen on exploiting the latest visual tricks and had heard about this lens, which was fairly experimental at the time. I had suggested this sequence as a subject for the lens, but it took a heck of a time to line it up – it took a whole day to get that shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazier_lens

Admiral Archer, Sibyl and Psion like this.
  12. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

This is so epic! If you could do the whole movie like this I'd just die....This is that cool!

13. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

LOVE those characters!!!

This is a great project. I hope you keep it up!

14. Admiral Archer

So bear with me, I'm not sure I get your drift, but do you want want me to re-shoot "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" with these guys? Because while I would if I could, I probably shouldn't, for fear of copyright infringing.

That being said, I have been wanting to do my own fan made sequel to the first Star Trek film that takes place between TMP and TWOK, so this might be a cost effecient way to do it! :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Sibyl likes this.