My journey in Deep Space

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by trentman359, Jul 1, 2008.

1. trentman359

trentman359 Commander Red Shirt

Well I haven't been visiting these boards too much of late. I decided it was time for me to get back into the community. So I decided that I would document my first complete viewing of Deep Space Nine. I'm going to use this thread as a journal of my thoughts and feelings, whatever they be, as I go through the series. Feel free to stop in and say hello.

And so it begins.....(yes I love Babylon 5)

"The Emissary"

I've seen this episode several times before and I used to think the sequences with Sisko describing his species were boring. This time I actually enjoyed his description of linear time and it made me wonder what it would be like to live outside of time.

The battle at Wolf 359 was cool and had some great effects shots. Patrick Stewart's cameo was predictable but Sisko talked back to him, which was fun.

How big is DS9 supposed to be? I never really got a sense of its scope. I hate to bring up B5 already but I really felt like that station had a great scope and life to it that I didn't feel in DS9, I know its an unfair comparison for the first episode but its just something I was thinking about.

Episode 1 down, I hope I can stick to this journal.

2. trentman359

"Past Prologue"

"Major Kira, first officer of Deep Space Nine, is approached by a man she knew in the Bajoran Resistance against the Cardassians for assistance. When she realizes that he plans to blow up the wormhole to keep foreign powers from interfering in Bajoran space, she must help Starfleet stop him."

The first regular episode of DS9 brings us average story about Kira and the resistance. We also get a cameo by the Dursa sisters from TNG. Garak makes his entrance and has some funny scenes with Bashir.

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Just wait!! from season 3 onward DS9 becomes so much better, it really becomes a different show than those first episodes. For me, beyond some standouts, Seasons 1 and 2 are mostly blah. :)

4. Lateralus

Lateralus Commander Red Shirt

Here, this should help. Babylon 5 is pretty prominent in the photo, DS9 is just to the right of Spacedock.

So, yeah, Babylon 5 is *vastly* larger in size and immeasurably larger in volume than DS9.

(A Federation Galaxy Class is around the size of the rotating section of an EA Omega Class as well.) :p

5. tachibana

tachibana Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The chart is awesome. I've been staring at it for an hour now.

6. Lateralus

Lateralus Commander Red Shirt

Oh yeah. :D

Came across it a few years ago and I keep a copy on my computer because I find myself referencing it so often.

7. Apogeal Alpha01

Apogeal Alpha01 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9, and most of the Star Trek ships are tiny by comparison to the Babylon 5 or Star Wars ships. That Executor Class ship is supposed to be nearly 11 miles long. For What?

Facinating chart. I've been looking at it for a long while now as well.

8. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

Just goes to show bigger isn't always better.

9. trentman359

"A Man Alone"

"When an alien who was once incarcerated by Odo is killed in a holosuite, Odo becomes the prime suspect, but Kira and others suspect that he was framed. While they investigate, Keiko O'Brien opens a school for Bajoran and Federation children."

Pretty standard mystery episode. The clone idea was a little different.

10. trentman359

"Babel"

"During a crisis involving the replicators, the station's crew is afflicted with an airborne virus causing aphasia. Everyone talks nonsense until Bashir realizes that the virus was engineered by a Bajoran terrorist attempting to sabotage the formerly Cardassian station, and tracks down the people who can create an antidote."

The aphasia virus was a cool idea and the way that it was created was interesting as well. However this could have easily been a TNG episode.

11. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

:eek: Wow, that's an awesome chart! Thanks for posting it.

12. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Another comment about that chart - that thing is awesome!

Thanks for posting it - I'd never seen it before, but it is a regular scifi geek's paradise! :techman:

13. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

[​IMG]

I've had that for a loooong time and cannot believe that I've never posted it before. It really is a gorgeous work, isn't it!

That's true. ;)

14. trentman359

I know I've seen the chart before somewhere. Its great to put everything into perspective though. I didn't realize how small DS9 was.

15. trentman359

"Captive Pursuit"

"Deep Space Nine becomes the site of a struggle between the captive Tosk, bred to be hunted, and the race which pursues them for sport. O'Brien helps Tosk escape against Sisko's direct orders, but security is notably slow in pursuing him."

Probably the best episode so far. Tosk was a great alien and the idea of the hunt was unexpected. I liked the scene with Odo not hurrying to get the force fields in place. At least O'Brien got yelled at for his actions but he clearly didn't get disciplined. Does any Star Trek character ever get in trouble for disobeying commands? How can Odo be an effective security officer without using a phaser?

16. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

That pretty much describes many episodes in DS9's first 2 seasons.

17. Apogeal Alpha01

I knew something was missing! The Death Stars! The second Death Star (II) was 900 km in diameter. What an amazing waste of CGI! Not! That's 559.2339 miles in diameter.

18. Apogeal Alpha01

Being a shapeshifter, Odo can rely on stealth and superior intel to get the job done. Plus the fact that he has no personal life outside of work, he doesn't take lunch breaks, means few if any distractions from work. He takes enormous pride in being the station's Chief of Security, and little else.

19. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Odo isn't wearing real clothes. They are part of his body. Carrying a phaser would interfere with his shape shifting. What would you think if you saw a rat carrying a phaser? LOL

psik

20. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

The real reason Odo can be an effective security officer without a phaser is because the perps never put up a fight once Odo knows who his man is. Odo can just casually grab them by the arm, and that's that. They won't ever even try to escape that casual arm grab. Must be a space anomaly near the DS9 station that causes these strange behaviours the minds of the perps IMO.