My fan-made theme

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by captainkirk, Oct 19, 2017.

1. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Ever since I saw the opening theme for DSC and hearing the music I was underwhelmed. I kept thinking, "Is that the best they can do?" So I decided to not be one of those armchair critics and actually try my hand at making my own version. I came up with an edit I liked and then gave it to my brother to do the music. Now none of this is at Hollywood level, but we felt it's at least a bit more engaging than the actual one. Let us know what you think.

toby likes this.
  2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It has the benefit of actually having identifiable melodies that you could hum along with.

Is there any way to render the music into a more realistic orchestra sound?

Kor

3. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Works well with the credits - quite inspiring!

4. captainkirk

The software my brother uses to create his music is a bit limited in its capabilities and so can't always sound quite realistic. Unfortunately all the pro composing software is pretty expensive so he has to ho with a free option.

5. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the current title sequence and music but i think your titles sequence is a great effort. I really like the use of the promotional footage of the characters and the use of that beauty shot of Discovery at the end is awesome. The music was a bit haphazard for me though but it's a good starting point. Nice work!

6. captainkirk

Thanks. I like that the actual theme tries to do something different, but I found it a bit on the uninspiring side. Mine is much more standard, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on what people like.
    This was actually the first proper piece of music my brother composed, so considering he's had no training I think it turned out nicely. I know it's a little on the rough side in places, but in a few years I'm sure he'll be doing great things.

7. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found the discovery theme a bit jarring at first, and I guess i had a main titles sequence similar to voyager's in my mind before discovery aired. Good on your Brother for giving it a shot. I have zero musical talent, so I'm envious of people who can create music. I hope he pursues it. :)

8. captainkirk

Yeah, I was thinking it would be something like Voyager's but made with the production values the show has. Oh well, there's always hope for season 2.

Agony_Boothb likes this.
  9. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like it! Nice melody and a great arrangement! I make everything on a Korg Triton, so I know how to hear past the obvious synth orchestra sounds and imagine how it is supposed to sound.

I do think Russo's theme works better though... listen how he uses it to great effect at the end of almost every episode..

So I like your Theme as an alternate thing, but with respect, wouldn't want it to replace what there is now.

Still, great effort!

Succubint likes this.
  10. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Very nice. I like it a lot, and definitely find it more interesting than the actual opening. The only two issues I have with it are that 1. the actor credits are normally accompanied with "as Saru", for instance, and 2. I think the decision to NOT show the saucer rotating was intentional to delay the reveal, so I'd have left that out, even though I like the scene your brother used. :)

(And honestly, my second point may apply as a reason to ignore my first one, in a way. ;) )

11. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It's a nice piece of work all around.

12. captainkirk

Thanks. Do they still say the character names in opening credits? The last time Star Trek did it was Voyager. Neither Enterprise nor Discovery have the names of characters. The spinning saucer isn't much of a spoiler, so if I was putting together the actual title sequence I wouldn't mind including it. Kind of like showing the Stargate spinning.
    Thank you. I'm glad people liked it.

13. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only thing wrong is Mary Wiseman should get top billing, everyone else can go after her

USS Triumphant likes this.
  14. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Your credits are certainly an improvement over the actual opening credits of DSC.