Movies You Wish Had Gotten Sequels, That Never Did

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Apr 29, 2018.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are a lot of movies out there that I really enjoyed, and really wish had gotten sequels, but never did.
    Some of my top picks:
    Jupiter Rising - I really liked this movie, and I would have loved to have gotten to explore more of it's universe in more movies.
    Titan A.E. - A favorite of mine, it works good as a standalone story, but I think if it had been popular enough there were options for more stories.
    Valerian - Another fascinating universe that I would have liked to see more of. I'm not sure how much of this one came from the comics, but there are 20+ so if they had wanted to use them for future sequels there's obviously plenty of material there for them to use.
    The Last Witch Hunter - I'm a big fan of urban fantasy series like The Dresden Files and of all of the movies I have seen, I think this is the one that felt the most like one of those kind of stories. I would have loved to have gotten more adventures of Kaulder, the 36th Dolan, and Chloe.
    So what movies are disappointed never got sequels?

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, that's another good one. I'm kicking myself for not including it on my list.

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

* Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

* Super Mario Bros.

* The Amazing Spider-Man 2

5. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, Galaxy Quest and Bubba Ho-Tep. Granted, I'm well aware that they're one-joke movies that probably can't sustain a sequel (see also: Ghostbusters and Tremors), but I really like the characters and want to spend more time with them.

I'd also love a ParaNorman sequel. Not enough great kiddie horror films in the world.

6. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Buckaroo Banzai vs. the World Crime League. The loss to the galaxy may be irretrievable.

7. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

The Golden Compass.

Yes, I know I'm probably the only one.

GNDN18, Ovation and Allyn Gibson like this.
  8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

A third :Hellboy" movie by Del Toro.

A more proper third "Ghostbusters" movie with the old cast or one with a new cast where the older characters are their to kind of pass the touch.

Talledega Nights.

Jason

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn, you're all coming up some good ones I completely forgot about.
    Sky Captain, Buckaroo Banzai, Galaxy Quest, and Hellboy II are definitely up there for me. After all the set up in I and II, I'm still frustrated we aren't going to get Guillermo Del Toro's Hellboy III.
    Anybody know if they are still doing the Amazon Prime Galaxy Quest series?

10. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

After Rickman's death I think the cast have no desire to return without him. Also I suspect that with Discovery, Orville, and Lost in Space going right now Amazon doesn't see an opening for it.

11. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Forbidden Planet.
    Super Mario Bros.
    Galaxy Quest.
    The November Man. (Though technically one is still possible.)
    and
    The Big Lebowski.(Also possible.)

seigezunt likes this.
  12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

No, you're not. And last I heard the BBC is working on a miniseries? The movie, despite its flaws, I thought was really great. I ended up reading the books and was disappointed that they didn't spend more time in that world. I was disappointed in the followups and felt like the story really fell apart by the 3rd book anyway. But the miniseries might let them go further than the first book.

GNDN18, Ovation and Avro Arrow like this.
  13. Jayson1

I didn't even hear about this project. It was going to use the orginal cast instead of doing a reboot or remake?

Jason

14. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dredd
    Event Horizon
    Mad Max: Fury Road - It recently came out that a sequel is unlikely due to lawsuits being filed between Warner Bros. and George Miller, so that's a shame since I really liked Fury Road
    Super Mario Bros.
    Terminator Genisys - I think I'm the only one who liked this

jaime likes this.
  15. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I heartily agree with Serenity, Galaxy Quest, and Valerian. I'll also add:

District 9, Wall-E, Fantasia 2000, Master and Commander the Far Side of the World, and Tomorrowland.

16. Jayson1

Twister: A sequel ever few years where the tornado's keep getting bigger and bigger and in the final one the movie plays it like it's trying to get revenge on Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt for all those years of trying to interfere with them.

Stargate: I would have loved a movie with the tv cast and then one with the movie cast where they do their own thing.

E.T: How in the world has nobody done a movie where E.T comes back to revist Elliot?

Hancock: Don't listen to the hype. Black Panther wasn't the first awesome Superhero movie starring a black led Superhero. This is a underrated classic that also looked at important theme and that was interracial marriage. It had bunch of funny R-rated humor but also lovable characters and with some important meesages about love and wanting to make a positive influence in the Jason Bateman character.

Jason

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Terminator Genisys

John Carter

Green Lantern

There are loads of films I'd like to see more of, but these are the ones which had planned sequels which were set up and then dropped. If love to know what happened. It's times like this I'd love that Rick & Morty AU TV adapter.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^Agreed about Green Lantern and John Carter. The credit scene in Green Lantern setting up Sinestro as the villain in the sequel was the most memorable scene in the movie. And I really liked John Carter. I never really understood where all the hate came from?

Gov Kodos likes this.
  19. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Serenity
    Superman returns
    Hellboy
    Did I mention Serenity?

20. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Batman v Superman :shifty:

GNDN18 and Ovation like this.