Move Along Home at THIRTY

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Tallguy, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thirty years ago today. Discuss!

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel old. Can't believe it's been thirty years and in some circumstances, it feels like Yesterday.

Legate Duhmar, kkt and FanST like this.
  3. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS was from 'way' before my time. But those series I grew up with are now older than TOS was back then. Weird realisation.

4. Tallguy

Heh. When Move Along Home aired TOS was only 27!

Legate Duhmar and FanST like this.
  5. FanST

FanST Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Allamaraine!

Legate Duhmar and Oddish like this.
  6. JoseNoodles

JoseNoodles Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think I was in the single digits when it aired. I also think I missed it when it first aired.

7. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Third shap!

9. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I can't believe it's half a century since I started watching TOS in reruns after school...

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  10. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

If Benjamin had been wearing a pink tutu during the hopscotch segment, I would have died of a massive paroxysm.

11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hated it back then. Still reluctant to revisit it.

12. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Thirty years, you say? I can't count that high.

13. Tallguy

The elephant on the promenade: Is it as bad as people say? Or more to the point is it as uniquely bad as people say?

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's not DS9's worst. It's not even the worst of DS9's first season. It's a perfectly serviceable, goofy TOS episode. :)

15. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I haven't really thought about it since the 90s. There's a TNG recut where Picard checks on DS9 and sees them doing the allamaraine dance and is disgusted. I thought I remember reading it cost as much as "Emissary" but it just says it was the biggest budgeted episode since "Emissary."I did use to call my sister Ally allamaraine. I have no fondness for it. Maybe one day I'll rewatch Season 1 properly and have a different opinion.
    So they're from the Gamma Quadrant? Did the Jem'Hadar exterminate the Wadi after this?

FanST likes this.
  16. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I have defended "MOVE ALONG HOME" more than any other episode in the franchise. And I will continue to do so.

I really love it.

ALLAMARAINE!!!

DS9forever, Oddish, Cyfa and 2 others like this.
  17. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

What a coincidence! Just watched “Move Along Home” the other day, without even knowing about its anniversary. Now I feel old.

I totally have a soft spot for this episode, which is one of my go-to goofy, casual fun Trek episodes whenever I feel like putting something on I've seen a million times.

I love how harmless it is, even though it always rubs me the wrong way that in the end everyone seems to be more angry with Quark than with the Wadi. His attempt to cheat them doesn't give them the right to make Sisko and the others live through actual pain, like when Jadzia hurts her legs. That it's so easily played off as inconsequential in the end is weird.

Having just recently watched “The Princess Bride” for the first time ever, I noticed some similarities between Falow and Mandy Patinkin's Inigo Montoya in terms of look and mannerisms, although the latter is obviously much more over-the-top.

For some reason my favorite moment has always been this exchange …

BASHIR: Seriously, we've gone from the second shap to the third shap to the fourth shap already.
    KIRA: What is a shap?
    BASHIR: I have no idea …

:lol:

18. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The hate this episode gets is laughable. There is sometimes a Trek pack mentality/bandwagon that insists your most hated episode from each series MUST be Spock's Brain/Shades of Gray/Move Along Home/Threshold etc.

Move Along Home isn't the worst DS9 episode by a long shot. It's sort of amusing in its own way - I love the moment when Sisko embraces the silliness of it all and starts hopping & singing. Quark's begging on the floor is also amusing.

Cyfa, FanST and Farscape One like this.
  19. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

This is one of my favorite early DS9 episodes.
    Love that we get to meet Gamma Quadrant aliens. VOY taught us more about DQ peoples than DS9 did for the GQ.

The Wadi makeup is simple but cool. I like the ship and it pains me that Eaglemoss floundered before they could make a model.

The gang being trapped in a game is a fun idea and well executed.

DS9forever, FanST and Farscape One like this.
  20. Tallguy

It had brief but hilarious payoff in Lower Decks.

When DS9 premiered I had no television reception and no cable. So I got to see it if I was at someone else's house and for whatever reason we had moved past Big Star Trek Watch Parties. (I think we were vaguely concentrating on graduating or something.)

So this was an episode I saw air. With a bunch of people who were casual about Star Trek at best. None of those people would go on to become Niners, I'm sure.

This was one of those early episodes that really made you wonder how, if, or why they would make Quark anything other than a villain. (He would do worse.) He's not just harmlessly shady. He's sometimes harmfully shady.

The comparisons to TOS are interesting. I'm watching season 7 right now. They still do standalone episodes but rarely are they just an unconnected romp. Which is partly the nature of where the episode was. You can't do a "character" episode if you don't have the characters. SNW did The Elysian Kingdom and everybody got it right away, because the show was inviting TOS comparisons. Whereas we had just done five and half years of TNG when this aired.

DS9forever and Commander Troi like this.