Mourning Star Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Valenti, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

I feel bad that it's the end of an era and now being controlled by the brass and the sons of brass. Disco turns my stomach as do the new movies. Abrams is killing everything, like Lost was something special. The big reveal is that they're all dead? I think TZ did that. Everything now to me is a big rip off as it gets more and more controlled by mediocrity.

Graham and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  2. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah bro. JJ Abrams. And the big Corporate Man. And Gene's Vision. And stuff.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That's one rambling word salad.

nightwind1 and BillJ like this.
  4. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is sure to be a reasonable, productive discussion!

Vger23 and DonIago like this.
  5. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't worry, things happen in cycles. The "brass" have always been in charge of Trek, but maybe we'll get brass more to your liking in the next installment of Trek.

Abrams won't be around forever (and he has more-or-less left Trek outside of producing). I don't really know why he's your bogeyman, but Star Trek has always been bigger than one man's vision.

We have more and more sequels/remakes/reboots these days because that's what sells (and this has benefitted Trek by bringing it back from the dead). Coincidingly, we have had (are having?) a "golden age" of television, with shows more well-written and stylistically produced than at any point in my lifetime.

These two elements, rehashes and high-end programming, while diametrically opposed in many ways, are bleeding into each other slowly, but surely. Discovery, while it turns your stomach, has *some* elements of the best television, but not as well as it could have.

Perhaps the next series will blend the two ideas better. Or perhaps just be a fun Bermanesque style show, for the fans in mourning who enjoy that type of show.

And the big reveal in Lost was that the "flash-sideways" were an *eventual* afterlife for all the characters whenever they died. It would've made more sense for the actual show to reveal they were dead, as was the original plan. Unfortunately, Abrams left that show after the first season, and it quickly went off the rails.

The Twilight Zone was also the second-greatest show of the 1960s.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Orville gives me more than my necessary fix of Berman-era Trek.

The Wormhole likes this.
  7. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If i want old trek, I can watch the 750 episodes that were produced and are available on Netflix. I want something new and the abrams films and Discovery fill that role for me.

nightwind1, Vger23 and F. King Daniel like this.
  8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the smell of Star Trek in the morning.

Oh, and my condolences for the OP's loss.

nightwind1, BillJ and Tim Thomason like this.
  9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

What a wonderfully bold statement.

I'm not a fan of JJ's productions, but I do really like the three latest nu-Trek films and think Disco is brilliant (not that he had any hand what-so-ever in Disco) so of course, I disagree with your opinion.

Trek is dead? Long live Trek!

Spot261 likes this.
  10. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

If one doesn't like watching something, my advice is stop punishing oneself, stop watching and move on. I endured The Orville for one episode and Discovery for half a season before deciding I was wasting my time. I'm quite happy that others enjoy these shows.

JJA Trek is fine for me as an alternate universe version that provides reasonably popcorn-flick entertainment value with better production values than TV can provide, albeit with mandatory lens flares, daddy issues, and an engineering section that can apparently also double as a brewery.

11. CommanderTrip

CommanderTrip Captain Captain

"All of this has happened before. All of this will happen again."

Everyone time there is a new Star Trek show, there is an internal debate among fandom as to whether or not something is "Star Trek". That idea of "Star Trek" unforunately died with it's creator, Gene Roddenberry, in 1992. Since that time, there have been many other kinds of Trek offerings. Some more successful than others.

Each iteration of Trek is different, yet similar in some way or another. I've learned not to mourn the loss of one style of Trek over the offering of another. I still find it an enjoyable and engaging viewing experience. I enjoy TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, TOS, and DISCO. The other shows do not stop existing simply because there is something different on right now. And there certainly is no way to tell what the future holds. We could see Piller/Berman/Roddenberry-era Trek once again down the line. Anything is possible.

Greg Cox likes this.
  12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You do realize Star Trek has always been about making as much money as humanly possible? Roddenberry added lyrics to the TOS end theme so he could get half the royalties derived from it.

Discovery my not be my cup of Vulcan tea, but it is no more controlled by the suits than any other iteration of the franchise, including my personal favorite TOS.

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

297.jpg

Let's not go down this rabbit hole. Again.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

(I knew I shoulda put some quatloos on @1001001 closing the thread....)

nightwind1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.