Most purely rewatchable episodes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by BlueStuff, Feb 7, 2020.

1. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The show was known for its serialized nature towards the end, but there are still plenty of episodes that are always fun to revisit regardless of plot threads. What are some of your favorites?

Trials and Tribble-ations is a must mention. I also love In the Cards, Take Me Out to the Holosuite, and Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang; in the midst of some pretty dramatic, tense plots, these three provide some much needed levity.

2. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I just rewatched some excellent season 2 episodes which I thoroughly enjoyed. Necessary Evil I thought was brilliant. It plays like a film noir short story. It establishes the history of Odo, Kira, Quark, and Dukat's relationship, and sets the darkness of the occupation period on DS9 nicely against the light of the present Federation era. And it's a good mystery.

[​IMG]

3. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll return to this later, but off the top of my head:

Duet
    Paradise
    The first 10 episodes of season 4
    For The Uniform
    One Tiny Ship
    In The Pale Moonlight

Gelnon, Kilana2, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Little Green Men

5. no2catsuitKira

no2catsuitKira Commander Red Shirt

In chronological order.

S1: Battles Lines, Progress, In the Hands of the Prophet (A little Duet goes a long way.)
    S2: The Home/The Circle/The Seige, Necessary Evil, Blood Oath, Crossover
    S3: Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast, Shakaar
    S4: The Way of the Warrior, Rejoined, The Sword of Kahless, Homefront/Paradise Lost
    S5: Looking for Par´mach in all the Wrong Places, Nor the Battle to the Strong, Trials and Tribble-ations, Rapture, In Purgatory´s Shadow/By Inferno´s Light, Blaze of Glory, In the Cards, Call to Arms
    S6: A Time to Stand/Rocks and Shoals/Behind the Lines/Favor the Bold, Resurrection, One Little Ship, Change of Heart, In the Pale Moonlight (most rewatchable for me--can watch two or three times running), Time´s Orphan
    S7: Image in the Sand/Shadows and Symbols, Take me Out to the Holosuite, Once More Unto the Breach, The Seige of AR-558, Chimera, The Changing Face of Evil/When it Rains.../Tacking Into the Wind/

DarthTimon, Sidewinder and kkt like this.
  6. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"In The Pale Moonlight" is definitely my most rewatched DS9 ep. It might be my most rewatched ep of any Trek, "Yesterday's Enterprise" is the only real competition for that title.

"In The Cards" is perfectly rewatchable, it's a great go-to when I'm feeling depressed about the state of the world.

"Call To Arms", "Improbable Cause", and "The Maquis, Part I" (rarely part II) also pop up a lot. I like the setup eps, apparently.

My lighter go-to's are "The House Of Quark" or "Our Man Bashir."

"The Visitor", "Shadowplay", and "In The Hands Of The Prophets" are also solidly in circulation.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I love DS9. It's my second-favorite series after the untouchable TOS

That said, strangely, I don't find it very rewatchable.

A few that I think very much are:

Emissary
    Way of the Warrior
    The Jem'Hadar
    The Visitor
    Trials and Tribulations

Armus likes this.
  8. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

Wait, but does this mean you’ve all been regularly rewatching episodes of DS9 for the past 25 years or so, or are we talking more about the rewatching heyday of the 90s, which may well have been biased toward whatever happened to be owned on VHS?

9. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't speak for anyone else, but yes I love rewatching DS9 episodes.

Seven of Five, Armus and Spot like this.
  10. no2catsuitKira

no2catsuitKira Commander Red Shirt

A few times I have borrowed the entire DVD collection from the local library and gone through the series again. Most rewatchable episode for me means I watch it more than once before returning the DVD set.

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't rewatch very often these days, but late last year I went through a week or two of rewatching. "Tribbles", "Inquisition", "Pale Moonlight", "In the Cards", maybe a few others.

12. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

I could still rewatch an episode on DVD right around the time when I switched to an HDTV, which is when I essentially tabled further rewatching for when the show is remastered. It’s a matter of not overdoing it for select episodes and not wasting time on a full series rewatch (did one on DVD, most of it for the first time in English as opposed to German) when there is so much else available in competitive quality.

13. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Treachery, Faith and the Great River

Armus likes this.
  14. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Many episodes already listed are good choices. But I would add the first 3 mirror universe episodes. The first one is a legit story and the other two are fun popcorn fun. Also the season 3 two parter were Garak blows up his shop and ends in a massive game changing event in regards to the Dominion. Also the pilot. Makes fun a fun movie of sorts.

Jason

15. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No mention of "The Magnificent Ferengi" yet? Was my favourite for a long time. I also like Rivals, The Ascent, Progress, Cardassians, Civil Defense, Indiscretion, Who Mourns for Morn, Statistical Probabilities. Probably others I haven't thought of too.

Ones already mentioned: In the Cards, In the Pale Moonlight, Trials and Tribble-ations , The Way of the Warrior, all good too.

Surprised there aren't any shock votes for "Move Along Home" either.

Kilana2 and Armus like this.
  16. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

The Way of the Warrior definitely, as well as In The Cards... and Trials and Tribble-ations.

I owned TWOTW on VHS funnily enough and watched it so many times. The other two I taped on VHS as well, and just think they're so much fun.

I like other episodes more, but those, strangely, are my most rewatchable. Must be from the nostalgia of watching them with friends.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  17. Blurr13

Blurr13 Ensign Red Shirt

Far Beyond the Stars is probably my favorite episode of the whole series.

Kilana2 and kkt like this.
  18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

FBtS is a great episode. But it's also intense and a bit uncomfortable for me, so I can't say I tend to rewatch it all that much.

19. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Visitor!

kkt likes this.
  20. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I always enjoyed re-watching "Business As Usual". It's a stand-alone show where Quark takes some desperate measures to get out of debt. He pushes his Ferengi values to the limit until he has almost gone too far. It guest stars some impressive actors like Lawrence Tierney and Steven Berkoff, who give wonderful performances.

"I'm here to buy weapons. Are you here to sell them?!"

kkt likes this.