Most fun you've ever had playing a video game?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Holdfast, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Simple question, but probably tougher to answer.

What's the most fun you've ever had playing a video game? Tell us the game, and the story behind why it was so much fun!

I think for me it's one of all-nighter Birth of the Federation LAN parties, or similar games of Red Alert 2, and racing friends on Burnout2.

Over to you! :)

2. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't think of my all time fun-time, but last night I had a fun time killing trolls in LOTRO with a great pick up group :D
    we must have slain over a hundred of them :devil:

3. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

In the early 90s we used to play a football game on the Amiga called Kick Off Extra Time - so much damn fun! On one occasion, me and a friend had the game to end all games - it was end to end Hot Footy Action with goals aplenty.

And even better, we were barely looking at the screen as we played - we were too busy shouting obscenities at each other and laughing like twats.

And we never played better. That was a good day.

:D

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Me, three friends, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Nuff said.

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

NFS Most Wanted. that game's so much fun it should be illegal

6. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

Near all-night, largely drunken HALO 3 system link party with 8 of my friends. We played using two back-to-back 1080p projectors with each team on one couch, back-to-back with one another. It was awesome.

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One hit kills no radar deathmatches on Goldeneye for the N64

8. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think probably playing battle mode in Super Mario Kart on SNES with one of my best friends. We well and truly played the hell out of that game and the battle mode, in particular.

It was great fun because you never quite knew how battles would go. There was perverse delight to be had from tricking your opponent and blasting another one of the balloons.

I remember one trick I pulled off in particular. Now, I have to say that this didn't get me anything in terms of burstin balloons, but that didn't matter in the slightest.

We were playing the beach level which has the water bassins. My friend was headed for one of the bassins at top speed, ready to hop in with a feather. Just moments before he'd have hopped, I used a ghost to snatch away the weather. And he just crashed into the wall of the bassin :lol:.

Again, it was totally pointless but soooo much fun...

9. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Playing Streets of Rage on the Sega Genesis with my brother, about 20 years ago it seems.

10. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably the NFL Blitz games or Live(basketball) matches my friends and I used to hold in my living room. In the Live games we would get the new game, a pad of paper and do our own custom team drafts from all available standard teams and the hidden historical ones. Then we'd play a tourney to find a champ. I still remember throwing two guards on the floor in Live '96 that my buddies didn't know about. A guy named West and a guy named Cousy. I went 20 for 21 from 3pt Land-they were crapping themselves. Then I put in a PF at C named Dave Cowens-and he went beserk from the 3, too. We played like 8 hours straight. Good times.

11. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Had some great times LANing Command & Conquer back in the day. But the winner actually have some of the online Squad Battle games on Construct in Halo 3 that my brother and I have played together. One of them I totally lost my famous cool and was bouncing up and down in the couch from adrenaline that got since it was so awesome! :D

12. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Wow. Big question. :)

Well, I was a kid in the 80's. There was a corner store at the end of my street with some pretty cool owners. They also had games at the nearby supermarket. Over the years, they had:
    Super Mario Brothers
    Star Wars X-wing
    Indiana Jones & Temple of Doom
    Black Tiger (very cool sidescroller, better than Rastan)
    Gauntlet
    Pac-Man
    Frogger
    Rolling Thunder
    Outrun and others

There would be an all-out race when school got out to the Super Mario game. That game was insidiously popular, even before the NES. My favorites from those days were Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Gauntlet and Black Tiger.

On the PC front:
    Starflight (untold hours completely absorbed in this one)
    Earl Weaver Baseball (had a lot of fun playing this with my brother. I remember the day my Dad shelled out around $200 (of 1988-89 dollars - closer to $350 today!) to upgrade the Tandy from 256 to 384k, which allowed EWB to run in 16 colors rather than 4. He was actually pretty conservative, and this was a very rare instance. I was shocked. But there was some method to the madness. I then began programming graphics in 16 colors as I struggled to approximate the graphics of the day.)
    Space Quest I - "It was not known that you are a master of the rock". :)
    Pool of Radiance - It took, literally, several hours to install on the 8088 and required the shuffling of at least a half-dozen floppies. Never finished the game, but it holds a special place in the D&D geek pantheon.

More recently, I found GTA3 to be truly fun, and not at all the negative story-line the media seized on. Your character is basically an anti-hero, doesn't do drugs, etc. Never finished it, but when I think of the epic chases, the FBI and the helicopters coming after you, driving your stolen SUV off a cliff into a river... good times.

Oblivion was pretty fun in the main plot.
    I found a copy of Bridge Commander for $5. Along with Hidden Evil they were some guilty pleasures.

LOTRO is my first, and only, MMORPG. I haven't gotten into it that much, but when you find another player or two that role-play a bit, its great fun. It's also pleasingly easy on the system requirements, looking great on an X700 and single-core processor @2.2ghz

13. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

at an x-box party, a 1 hour, something like 16 v. 16 game of tower of power (Halo 2)

14. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

CaptainStoner-we discovered that if you loaded a character in Pools with max items and then tried to give him another, a new item was created. +56bagjug wooped ass. I'd forgotten how much fun the cheats on Pools were....many hours with that series creating wacky characters. And the on-running joke, "Looooooooooaaaaaaaaadddddiiiiiiiinnnnnngggg............"

15. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Me and three friends playing Goldeneye on a 20 inch screen. :D

16. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

I used to love playing the old MechWarrior games. I had a Joystick with 4 hats and a million buttons, a Throttle control with more hats and a million more buttons, Rudder pedals, VR Goggles with motion sensors, and the PC plugged into the stereo. It was incredibly immersive. And ya, the neighbors complained. :)

17. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure I can answer the OP's queston, but when I think about it, two things come to mind.

First: the first time I played Doom 3, on PC.

I had been shooting my way through hordes of demons from Hell, and jumping when the game went "boo!"

Then suddenly, I found myself armed with a chainsaw.

Instead of shooting frantically while backing away, suddenly I found myself charging headlong at my enemies and sawing right through them in a spray of blood.

I actually giggled, I was enjoying myself so much.

Second: when I played Thief: The Dark Project, again on PC.

I grew up playing Dungeons & Dragons and other tabletop RPGs. But no matter how many years we played, nothing ever really equalled the excitement and immersion of our first few dungeons, when everything was new.

But when I was playing the third level of Thief, "Down in the Bonehoard," something magical happened.

I was totally immersed. I was a swords & sorcery character creeping around an ancient tomb, looking for a magical relic.

It was like those first few times playing D&D. I hadn't felt that feeling in more than twenty years.

18. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

I've got a metric fuck-ton of Video Game stories so it's difficult to pick just one that stands out as the most fun but this is probably the one:

My first tournament: Marvel vs Capcom 2 was the game it came out in April 2000 and by 2001 I was beating up the local competition pretty well, found out tournaments were held and traveled to Chicago to attend one. Being my first of course I am completely and utterly annihilated there. I LOVED IT. Never had so much fun losing at a game so often. (Since then I've traveled to many cities even held my own tournaments here in KC and have gotten better so I can hang with the big-dogs now. And yes I still play this game regularly.)

19. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Oh man! I forgot about Goldeneye, on the Nintendo 64 and four players. Second favorite. :hugegrin:

20. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To this day I doubt I've spent more time on a game than I did with GoldenEye 64. Although I'm gradually getting there with Fallout 3 for PC...(not really, but it feels like it). I swear I spent most of middle school on the N64 with that game. Super Smash Bros. for N64 was also a great party game (no, not you, Mario Party...).