Most COVID-19 relevant Treks?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Gaith, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Apologies if there's already a thread for this, maybe from a user I've got on ignore, but a search for "covid" and "corona" yielded nothing, so, here goes. :)

There's been lots of online chatter about revisiting the movies Contagion and Outbreak recently, which got me thinking, which Trek episodes/movies are most relevant to this pandemic? I'm not nearly the Trek scholar that others on the board are, but the two which most readily pop to my mind are VOY's "Critical Care," about triage and health care in general, and ENT's "Extinction," an almost Lovecraft-ian story of a plague-destroyed civilization.

That said, I'm sure there are others; which ones have I missed?

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

DS9's The Quickening: Bashir tries to cure a genetic illness created by the Jem Hadar. It is a great study of the perseverance of a medical professional.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Brothers." It showcases a brother struggling with guilt over his sibling getting sick and getting through that illness, even in quarantine.

Turtletrekker and Bad Thoughts like this.
  4. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Past Tense: Are we currently on our way to the Bell riots? Four years to go....

Turtletrekker and kkt like this.
  5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

6. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just saw that episode a bit ago...and not gonna lie, maybe me feel a bit worried considering some recent developments....the details are obviously wrong but in the broad strokes....

7. Khan Jr

Khan Jr Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'd recommend against revisiting "Extinction," the worse episode in an otherwise good season. It also doesn't seem to parallel the situation significantly. Its virus doesn't cause disease, it mutates you from your original species to the species of its creators, and just what destroyed the creators' civilization is left ambiguous.

"Observer Effect" is a much better Enterprise story concerning disease. I don't think it parallels COVID much either, especially its resolution, but it does portray people in quarantine trying to keep their spirits up and the fear they cause in others when one tries to break it.

I'd have to rewatch Voyager's Phage episodes to see how I'd rank them, but the Vidiians are a cautionary tale about not letting your desire to free yourself from disease turn you into something monstrous.

Sakonna and Bad Thoughts like this.
  8. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps I'll rewatch Macrocosm and be grateful the SARS-CoV-2 virus at least doesn't do that.

9. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

The Naked Time
    ...and to a lesser extent, is sappily drunken sibling...
    The Naked Now

Both share the same plot of space cooties infecting Enterprise crew at just the worst possible time.

10. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS Mark of Gideon
    About infecting Kirk to reduce population.

Skipper, Turtletrekker, kkt and 3 others like this.
  11. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

The Quickening is really a great hour (among SO MANY great hours) of DS9.

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen all of ENT S3, but I have seen "Carpenter Street," so I know "Exctinction" definitely isn't the worst of the lot. I mean, needing to collect all different human blood types to create the ultimate virus? What virus ever has cared about blood type?! :rolleyes:

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

14. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Miri" is the one that immediately springs to mind.

A virus that wipes out the adults, but mysteriously leaves the children unaffected. In its wake, society falls to pieces.

kkt, Rahul and Greg Cox like this.
  15. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps "THE OMEGA GLORY"?

Kirk, Spock, and McCoy have to stay on the planet for quite a while until tge immunity kicks in, but they do have to face other problems. Like Ron Tracey.

16. Bad Thoughts

I don't think it needs to parallel the virus to be relevant.You are correct that it shows people helping one another through isolation, but it also has one of the few great Archer speechs: learning compassion by practicing compassion.

17. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The most COVID-19 related Treks will be coming out in about a year and a half.

Lance likes this.
  18. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That put's Kirk in the role of corona.

kkt and Lance like this.
  19. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

You'll see. "Threshold" predicted that all of this was going to happen, but we just didn't want to listen. Don't come crying when you've all mutated into salamanders.

Brennyren and Lance like this.
  20. Bad Thoughts

And if I end up with joint custody with Janeway?

Lance likes this.