More Pixar sequels?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by 777, Apr 26, 2010.

1. 777

777 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Don't know if this is meant to be sarcastic, but if true, we are heading for even more Pixar sequels. What has happened to them? Why so many sequels suddenly? Is this now finally Pixar being "Disney-fied"? :rolleyes:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/let-whining-begin.html

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Why are they doing sequels to all of their films except the one I would actually like a sequel to?

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

All this, but no Incredibles 2?

4. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Around the time they finished Toy Story, TPTB at Pixar brainstormed a bunch of characters and movie stories over lunch. Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Monsters Inc. and others came out of this meeting. Maybe they just need another brainstorming session.

I honestly don't care if they do sequels as long as they keep making the occasional movie like Up! and Ratatouille. I don't have a problem with sequels, originality isn't a prerequisite for my entertainment. If it was there would be very few things on earth that could be considered such. I do have a problem with bad stories and movies, but Pixar hasn't made one yet. The one sequel they did, TS2, was arguably better than the original. So for now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, it's sequel-mania in Hollywood these days and it's hard to argue with box office success and large piles of cash to sleep in.

TS3D is guaranteed to make more money than Jesus this year, it won't exactly be an enticement for Pixar to cut back on the sequels.

And I don't think we're too likely to see a sequel to The Incredibles, as much as I'd love one. That was Brad Bird's baby and he's said in interviews he doesn't really feel the urge to create one.

5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

As long as the sequels remain as good as, or better than the originals (like Toy Story 2), I have no problem with sequels. It's when they start churning out shitty sequels (like Disney's whole library of direct-to-video sequels to their classics) that I start getting turned off.

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Brad Bird isn't interested in doing one yet (he's got other projects in development), and Pixar won't move on that without Bird.

7. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

The Bug's Life one seems weird, I thought this was generally considered to be the least of their movies? I've never actually seen it by the way.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't heard of A Bug's Life 2 but that could be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. That's most people's least favorite Pixar movie it seems. Almost as stupid as an idea as Cars 2 when three of the voice actors are dead.

I think they are only making sequels because Disney bought them. Disney wants sequels so they can sell an insane amount of Toy Story toys. The only reason they are making Cars 2 is because the toys sell so well.

9. FordSVT

Disney bought them five years ago, but was instrumental in everything Pixar has done since the original Toy Story, around the time Visionary Steve jobs was thinking about selling it. They've had a decidedly hands-off approach with Pixar from a creative perspective despite having their bankbook open to them for the past 15 years. I don't think Jobs or Morris or Lasseter are interested in compromising Pixar given its previous successes. It doesn't need to be messed with, they are good enough and trusted enough given their track record to print money by their own devices. If they make a movie that is critically panned and bombs financially, call me, but they haven't. Cars was probably their most criticized film but it's still better than the average crap SKG puts out (original Shrek excluded).

10. Graywand2

Graywand2 Commander Red Shirt

I think the only reason Pixar's making sequels because they genuinely believe they can make sequels that were as good as or better than their predecessors, kind of like Toy Story 2.

11. FordSVT

I agree. I'm not saying that the company will never reach the point where they become desperate for cash and start doing stupid things, but I've seen no evidence to suggest that yet. I have, however, seen evidence that they can make a successful sequel, and literally nothing they've ever done could reasonably be considered "bad" by most people. Pixar seems like one of those companies with employees that really care about what they do, and enjoy doing it. There's nothing that seems forced or manufactured about it like the vibe I've been getting recently from Apple and Google.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a time when Pixar said they didn't want to do sequels, so something changed. Perhaps it's because they got bought by Disney, however I remember reading something that said Disney wouldn't mess around with Pixar and let them do their own thing. Toy Story 3, I can see, considering the second movie is hailed as even better than the first and their original franchise, but a lot of these sequels seem to be a money grab considering they're perfect for toy lines. Cars made a killing with its merchandise. Something they can't really do with say, something like Up. So, it does look like something changed, and maybe Disney is pulling their strings more than we'd like. Cash trumps originality.

13. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know which idea came first, but a new "Carsland" section of California Adventure wil be opening at the same time the sequel comes out.

I also think it is interesting that there is a section in the park for A Bug's Life, when that wasn't really one of the more popular Pixar movies (though it was by no means bad and is probably one of my personal favorites). They are also supposedly installing Toy Story Musical in one of the park theaters around the time that sequel comes out. And of course the new Toy Story Mania ride just came out a couple of years ago. There is also a Monster's Inc. ride. Why don't they just call it Pixar Park?

Anyway, it's interesting how interconnected these things are. California Adventure got new management a while back and is currently undergoing major changes to try and increase foot traffic and inject more Disney-ness into the park. It's hard to think that the release of these sequels that just happen to match up with the plans at California Adventure aren't at least somewhat related.

14. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

3 voice actors are dead? I knew about Newman. Did someone finally serve the public good and take out Larry the Cable Guy?

15. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

I don't mind if they keep on making sequels to the Pixar films I hope they wil make them good.

16. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

As long as the stories are good I don't mind sequels, but, to be cynical, sequels also pretty much guarantee that kids are going to pester their parents to see the sequels as they already know the characters. Most of Pixar's movies are very good, though, and I doubt they'd put out a poor sequel.

17. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reluctant to say that these are all bad ideas, or that Pixar has lost its creativity. Sequels aren't always bad, and thus far, Pixar's one and only sequel (Toy Story 2) was on par with the original. So it's entirely possible that sequels for Monsters, Inc and Cars will be very successful. And I'm really excited about Toy Story 3 this summer.

Having said that, I am a little puzzled by the idea of a sequel to A Bug's Life. And I do think that Pixar needs to keep their creative juices flowing and come up with original ideas. A few sequels to popular films is fine, but they need to keep turning out original work, too.

18. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Meanwhile, at this moment Dave Foley is somewhere doing Jägerbombs.

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

George Carlin had a small role and I can't remember the third person.

20. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Put me on the "more sequels doesn't equal bad" side of things. These are all decent and creative worlds. A sequel to what may be considered one of Pixar's lesser works, like A Bug's Life or Cars, may actually improve and deepen the world and franchise. Maybe they just feel that they've created enough original worlds to work in that it's time to return to some of them. I just wish they didn't have to have either/or when it comes to sequels versus original stories.