MLB Pseudo-Season 2020: Roger, Dodgers

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Oct 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Do they really need a salary cap? The Cubs are using the Luxury Tax excuse pretty well as it is :lol:

2. Jim Klag

Jim Klag Vice Admiral Premium Member

It's official - Astros and Baker agree to terms per MLB network.

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Just booked our trip to the Freeway Series this July.

:techman:

Praying to the baseball gods that it isn't as hot as last time (114!).

:wah:

Jim Klag likes this.
  4. Jim Klag

Do you live on that I-5 axis?

5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I live in Northern California. Close to the 5, yes.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Even before you said, I knew you were going to say Blernsball. :(

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  7. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that Dusty Baker is back in it's time to see Mike Scioscia and John Farrell get new manager jobs.

Jason

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  8. Ar-Pharazon

Strange minds.....;)

OTOH, it could be more fun to watch. I love baseball, but it can be a little boring at times. That said, I'm not on favor of shorter games. They take as long as they take. Considering the price of just the tickets, you deserve to be in that ballpark at least half a day.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  9. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

To me baseball games are shorter. I watch them on replay so I fast forward through adds and also instant replays after I seen the first replay or second. Basically once I have made my decision on what call they should make. Also mound visits, sometimes. Unless their is some interesting drama going on.

Jason

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm OK with the pace of play in baseball. At least then, when the action pauses, I can understand what's going on - I know why it's stopped and what everyone is doing.

In football, OTOH, I don't have a damn clue. To me it just looks like "a guy throws the ball, everybody runs around, and then the action abruptly stops for 4 or 5 minutes at a time for reasons I know not what".

Probably the reason I'm not an NFL fan. :lol:

On a lighter note, I'm looking forward to seeing Globe Life Field. Again, Sports Travel & Tours. Even get a trip to the NASA Space Center in Houston as a bonus! :techman:

Kirby likes this.
  11. Ar-Pharazon

An NFL game is a good 3+ hours, but it consists of four 15 minute periods plus a 15 minute halftime. It goes so long thanks to all the time stoppages due to going out of bounds, called timeouts, etc.

College FB games are closer to 4 hours due to a lot more automatic play reviews (that the NFL really should adopt).

Baseball just takes as long as it takes. Other than Manfred, I'm not sure who actually wants shorter games. I think attendance continues to be the same or better. TV advertisers can't be the ones complaining.

Kirby likes this.
  12. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my opinion baseball is perfect as-is. No time clock, no sudden death, it's over when it's over.
    My only complaint is that when watching it on TV, especially locally broadcast games, you see the same 6 commercials about a dozen times per game. That's not baseball's fault, but its annoying.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Per Gammons, Mookie Betts to the Dodgers is essentially a done deal.

14. Jim Klag

Yeah. I've heard it is is revolving around whether or not David Price is included plus ironing out the cash part of the deal.

15. Timby

Hedge fund billionaire Steve Cohen has backed out of his deal to purchase a majority share in the Mets. My guess is that word came down from the commissioner's office that he wouldn't get the required approval of 75 percent of the owners (a lot of owners are still upset over what's happened with the Marlins after Jeter's purchase of them was backed by another hedge fund / vulture capital jackwagon).

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I imagine they jump into fire sale mode pretty quickly.

17. Timby

The Mets under the Wilpons are very badly in debt (north of $350 million), so a fire sale was most likely what Cohen was planning before he backed out of the deal. It's known that Rob Manfred got a lot of calls, texts and emails from owners who were pissed as hell that Jeter was selling off superstar players for pennies on the dollar about six seconds after he bought the Marlins.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But wasn’t he taking over in 2025? I’m talking about a fire sale here soon, now that the Wilpons exit strategy is fucked.

19. Timby

He was supposed to assume roughly 75 percent of ownership of the team this year, but actually take control of the team, legally speaking, in 2025. (A similar situation happened a while back with Jeff Moorad, who was a former superagent that bought something like 49 percent of the Padres with an option to buy a controlling interest after a few years, but he was rejected by the rest of MLB's owners.) I very highly doubt that Cohen would have invested that much money and be happy to just sit on the sideline while the Wilpons continued to fuck the dog for another five years, so I'd guess that he was going to actually be in charge of the team while Fred Wilpon had the title of chairman in name only, and a bunch of MLB owners told Manfred--or the Wilpons--that no fucking way would they vote for it.

20. Jim Klag

It's official - Betts and Price to Dodgers for Alex Verdugo and a top prospect. Third party is Twins who pick up Kenta Maeda for I don't know what - cash I think. Separate deal Doggers send Joc Pederson to Angel's for Luis Rencifo (IF).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.