MLB Offseason 2018-19: SIGN KIMBREL AND KEUCHEL YOU FUCKS

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Oct 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox on dominating the World Series. The king is dead, long live the king.

Important upcoming offseason dates:

[​IMG]

Obviously the big questions are where Manny Machado and Bryce Harper will land. Los Angeles has debt service issues and will very likely to be unable to re-sign Machado or get Harper. There are some other mid-tier free agents, though, like Patrick Corbin, Dallas Keuchel, Craig Kimbrel, Yasmani Grandal, Josh Donaldson and Adam Jones. Full list here.

Who will be the new manager of the Rangers and Orioles? Both teams have been oddly quiet.

Will the new Tampa Bay stadium actually happen?

Will the Oakland Coliseum ever stop overflowing with shit?

Let us gather 'round the hot stove, my friends, and keep warm during these cold months.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Will Clayton Kershaw opt out of the last two years/$65 million of his current deal? :eek:

Not if Tampa is smart. All they should need to do is look to the bloated, over-priced, empty stadium in Miami.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm also curious to see if David Price will opt out of his contract after his postseason performance.

4. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

RIght about the same time I get a date with Scarlett Johansson.

Jedi_Master and The Nth Doctor like this.
  5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You'd prefer the Rays remain stuck at the Trop, then?

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

My fingers are crossed for you! ;)

7. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Better that then giving billions to billionaires, a new stadium won't change jack for the Rays, they will still struggle to draw fans.

8. Timby

If the Rays want a shiny new stadium, they can do what any homeowner does: Go to the bank and get a loan.

Herbert, Jedi_Master and BillJ like this.
  9. BillJ

As opposed to taxpayers getting stuck spending hundreds of millions of dollars for a toy for a billionaire? Yep, stay at the Trop. Cities shouldn't be piggy banks for billionaires pet projects. If the Rays owners want a new stadium, they should sell PSL's and finance it themselves.

Though it is likely they would lose a shit-ton of money in the process.

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

At least that isn't the description of the team playing there any more.

The Cubs:
    - We need to re-sign Murphy and Hamels, but only to 1 or 2 year contracts. If Russell ever plays for us again, it'll be a while, so we need Murphy.
    - There's some good free agent pitching out there, we could sign one or two of them (hopefully not to masive contracts after Darvish & Walkwood).
    - Don't sign Harper. Don't even try. Too much money for a slightly above average me-first type player.
    - Maybe trade some of the OF crowd for a #2 pitcher.

11. Timby

Oh, fuck Daniel Murphy. Homophobic piece of shit. The Cubs need to dump both him and Addison Russell.

Edit: At least both can be released at no cost; Murphy's contract is up and Russell is arb-2, so they can just non-tender him.

Edit 2: Bryce Harper is far more than a "slightly above-average" player. Even in an unexpected down year, he got on base at a .393 clip, which was tenth-best in the entire league.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    BillJ and The Nth Doctor like this.
  12. Ar-Pharazon

You really have to come down off that particular soapbox. He said he "doesn't agree with that lifestyle". Big deal. I don't agree with that lifestyle, but it isn't my concern what other people do either. Even Laura Ricketts had no issue with signing the guy.

As far as Harper, OK, maybe better than slightly above average. Someone is going to give him a half a billion dollars or whatever, I just don't want it to be us. Lots of our own players need to be resigned soon enough.

13. BillJ

You think it is just a lifestyle choice? :lol:

14. Ar-Pharazon

So we're not super bright :ack: I'm not an expert on these things and neither is Dan. I don't think he's homophobic based on that statement, just honest. There's a lot worse people in sports.

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Which is why they won't and the Rays will continue to be like the A's and a handful of other small market teams (flashes of brilliance, unable to close the deal) while the Res $ox will buy their best players and use them to win World Series.

Yanks likes this.
  16. BillJ

Until you figure out how to level local media money, a new stadium for Tampa won't make much difference.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder who the Giants will hire as their new GM. I hope they don't do what the Mets just did. Heck, there was talk about hiring a woman for the role. I hope they keep all their options open.

18. Timby

Tampa also gets a metric shit-ton of money from revenue sharing, and don't forget that literally every team in the league got north of $50 million from the sale of BAMTech. They are hardly hurting for cash.

Kim Ng? I believe she interviewed in San Francisco but decided that she'd rather stay in New York. It would be awesome to see her break the glass ceiling at some point, though.

I hear Dan Duquette is available. :shifty:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    BillJ likes this.
  19. BillJ

Yep. She was far more qualified to run a front office than the player agent the Mets hired.

20. Timby

There's something about hiring a player agent to run your operations that rubs me the wrong way. I mean, for one, the guy has to divest himself of all his clients, and that's not something that happens overnight. Beyond that, suddenly being on the other side of the table from the people you used to represent is a giant conflict of interest, because you know pretty much everything about their financial situations, their health, etc.

Captain Clark Terrell and BillJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.