MLB 2021 season: Corn-Driven Humidity

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Aragorn, Apr 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Remember Mark Appel, former first-round draft pick of the Astros who also spent time in the Phillies organization but eventually flamed out due to physical injuries and mental health issues, ending his time in baseball in 2018?

He's attempting a comeback and is starting on Saturday for AAA Lehigh Valley. Man, that's a game I'd love to watch. I hope he can get it together; Appel was one of the most talented pitching prospects to come around in a long time (he was absolutely filthy in college at Stanford).

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

1001001 likes this.
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two nights ago I actually got to witness, LIVE, Angel Hernandez being Angel Hernandez. I consider that a rare privilege. :lol:

Not only that, but these two kids sitting right behind me sounded EXACTLY like the lead singer of AC/DC, only much louder.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  5. The Nth Doctor

Jeez, does Angel Hernandez get a special bonus for each person he ejects? Fuck that guy.

6. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Well, Carpenter's not doing so hot, so I've heard it suggested to bring back Pujols as a pinch hitter. Part of me would love to see his return, both he and Yadi together again as their careers come to their ends. I admit, as a Cardinals fan, I was one of those bitter when he left (it reminded me of when I saw Terry Farrell at a Trek convention a few months before Jadzia was written out on DS9: she was all smiles, talking how she loved the show and would never leave - Pujols was the same way).

7. Timby

Per Stephanie Apstein of SI, the Astros have complained to MLB about the harsh treatment and taunting they've been receiving from fans on road games, and MLB has in turn told teams to tighten their rules on fan behavior.

Aw, poor Astros. Can you imagine any other sport where a team's front office complains that opposing fans are being too mean? :lol: You bang the cans, you take the booing like a mans. (Or something like that.)

8. Mr. Laser Beam

I'm actually surprised that Yankee fans got away with all the anti-Astros (specifically Altuve) chanting that they did during the recent series.

I mean, it wasn't so long ago that, to use but one example, security officers at Yankee Stadium literally wouldn't let fans yell "Boston Sucks" during Yankees/Redsox games. AFAIK, it's been like that since day one of the new stadium. I wonder what changed their minds...

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lindsey Adler of The Athletic says the Astros didn't complain about heckling and MLB didn't order the Yankees to crack down on their fans, but instead a Yankee Stadium security guard made up the Astros thing as a reason for why he confiscated an Oscar the Grouch costume from a fan, and the story blew up from there.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  10. Mr. Laser Beam

Can't say I'm surprised to hear that. :lol:

It's really gotten kind of ridiculous since the new stadium opened. Hell, I've seen them throw fans out for just going shirtless during hot weather (I know of no other ballpark that strict). And as I said, time was they literally would not let fans yell "...SUCKS" at any time.

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wade Miley with the fourth no-hitter of the season as Cincinnati tops Cleveland 3-0.

1001001 and Worf factor9 like this.
  12. The Nth Doctor

Incredible that Mr. Mediocre pitched a no-hitter. The Indians must've had a really off day.

13. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Don't be jealous of the great Wade. :cool:

Worf factor9 likes this.
  14. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The Mets "tunnel incident" is something bizarre.

15. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hopefully Thorne will return to the ESPN hockey coverage.

16. Timby

I can dream, but the man is like 72 or 73 and I'm sure, unless he's been impressively stupid with money, he never has to work another day in his life. What stings more is that the team cited COVID-related reasons for removing him from the broadcast booth (didn't seem to hurt other 70-something broadcasters to call games remotely), and then, if I'm recalling an interview from January correctly, MASN firing him via FedEx--something I've experienced myself--was just fucking cold and unprofessional. He got done dirty by that organization.

17. Timby

[​IMG]

I call it, "Sack tagged by third-sacker."

Edit: Or, "Two balls, one strike."

1001001 and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  18. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Oh, shit, I just winced in sympathy. :eek:

19. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Friggin' ouch.