MLB 2017: The Yankees are dead, Yankees burn in hell

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Nice...

BTW, I watched Yadi during the Yankee series. NOT the Yadi of old behind the plate for sure. I'm thinkin the Card's gave him a bad contract.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Maddon saw that and began banging on the doors of Epstein and Hoyer's offices, demanding to know why they let Mune go to Japan when Toronto probably would have done a straight-up 1:1 trade and he could have his favorite toy back.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tanaka's best start in a long time...a three-hit shutout. It had to have been the shortest Yankees/Redsox game in decades.

4. Yanks

I just wish he could do it on normal rest. :D

Sale was mowing down Yankees, then they hit just enough to win... and of course, a little error didn't hurt either.

But we got to him in the 9th.

Tanaka is a MLB top 5 pitcher in my book.

Nothing quite like going into Boston and beating their CY Young award winner and their ace.

Someone's missing Big Papi....

5. Timby

There are probably a dozen guys I'd take over Tanaka. Just off the top of my head, Kershaw, Greinke, Lester, Hendricks, Keuchel, deGrom, Bumgarner, Kluber, Cueto, Scherzer, Syndergaard, Sale, Price...

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Damn injuries are hitting the Mets harder this year than last... :sigh:

7. Timby

I think I said this a year or two ago, but it's patently clear that the Mets have a systemic issue with pitcher development. I don't know if it's the Warthen slider or the team just riding guys until they're toast, but there's a problem.

8. Yanks

But you would be wrong

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Timby is never wrong. Ask him yourself. :nyah:

Yanks likes this.
  10. Yanks

:bolian::rommie:

11. Mr. Laser Beam

He's like the Christopher of Sports/Fitness.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Baseball is a high variance sport, you need to temper any conclusions you come to based on such a small sample group this early in the season, especially with the pitchers.

The more I learned about statistics the more I respect the showmanship of sports commentators. When I was a kid I thought their job was to get to know the sport really well and do analysis based on that knowledge. Really, their job is to sell an entertaining, convincing story based on the results.

Suppose you had a coin that was weighted so it lands on heads 55% of the time. A basketball game is like flipping it 100 times, but a baseball game is like flipping it 10 times. So bad teams win against good teams or great pitchers have bad performances all the time and you don't learn the true weight of the coin until late in the season when you've now flipped it 1620 times. But that's boring, very bad television. So sportscasters need to tell a story that more interestingly explains the result of every set of 10 coin flips. They're great at it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Yanks likes this.
  13. Timby

In fairness, it depends upon the announcer(s). One of the best examples of this was 2012 Ryan Dempster, who spent all of April and May either near or at the top of the ERA rankings, but because he didn't get his first win until June 5, on the few times the Cubs were on national television, the mouthbreathers like Joe Buck and Thom Brennaman and Tim McCarver would say something like, "Man, Dempster's really struggling out there," because they lack the basic understandings that pitcher wins tell you basically nothing, in and of themselves, about a pitcher's performance (as, much like RBI, it's a team-dependent, not player-dependent, stat).

Now, there are guys out there -- Vin Scully being the gold standard, followed by Len Kasper, Matt Vasgersian, Kuiper / Krukow, Gary Thorne, FP Santangelo, Steve Stone when he's not being cranky and miserable -- who do a masterful job of weaving the storytelling with the education of what all these numbers actually mean. On the other hand, you have guys like Chip Caray, Michael Kay, McCarver in the at least last ten years before he retired, who are all pathologically in love with the sound of their own voice and just like to talk to hear themselves talk and still think that advanced statistics are developed by nerds living in their parents' basements as they drink Mountain Dew and eat Cheetos by the fistful or whatever (Joe Morgan being the king of all of this).

14. Ar-Pharazon

So shoulder, biceps and now, what, oblique problems? Only the Mets would be so stupid as to let this guy start after he refused an MRI.

15. Timby

The Mets' medical staff is so bad that pitchers would rather risk long-term injuries than let them check things out, and the Mets' medical staff is so incompetent that they are also okay with players making this decision.

Why MLB has not looked into what Ray Ramirez is doing is beyond me (well, I know why, it's just silly). He really should have been fired years ago. Also, it makes me wonder what exactly Warthen is teaching these young pitchers.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Why is Bryan Mitchell playing first base right now? :confused:

Yanks likes this.
  17. Ar-Pharazon

Wouldn't (or shouldn't) an MRI be done by an outside facility?

18. Timby

Well, almost every major league stadium has an X-ray machine, but all teams have contracts with radiology providers for services like MRI, CT, PET, etc. Basically, the team pays an annual retainer to the provider, be it a hospital or a specialized provider (like Main Street Radiology in Queens), to have priority access to things like a CT or MRI scanner. Even then, though, the Mets' medical staff is still the group that would make the referral out to radiology or whatever.

So this really does still fall on the Mets. (Heck, it was either deGrom or Matz maybe two years ago who complained of shoulder stiffness, the team told him to rub some dirt on it, and like a week later he needed surgery.)

Edit: Also, I believe it's required that at least the medical director of every team's medical staff has admitting privileges to a hospital within the vicinity of the home team's stadium.

19. Ar-Pharazon

And Syndergaard only gave up 5 of the 23 runs scored by the Nats today.

20. Timby

If I'm reading the box score and the lineups correctly, Layne and Warren were unavailable after throwing their arms off yesterday, and Girardi knew he had to keep Mitchell in the game in case Chapman started getting tired. And that's how you get Bryan Mitchell, first baseman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.