MLB 2017: The Yankees are dead, Yankees burn in hell

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

It's terrible to watch the Cubbies fall apart like this, after such a magical playoff season. :(

Damn, that was fast. As the article mentions, this isn't the first time Montero has spoken out of turn, so this may have been a long time coming.

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

They fell apart because of the immediate fire sales, no?

He was running off at the mouth right after the WS about not being used enough....a lot.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I guess the 2014 Red Sox would apply, too, but I was thinking of teams who didn't just have losing records, but suffered from some very clear clubhouse issues. I can't recall any real major internal strife from the Red Sox that year, or at least none that the public was made aware of.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Hence my saying "comedy answer." ;)

In fairness, he was signed for a specific reason (his pitch-calling and framing), and then the Cubs rushed Contreras up to the majors last year despite him still being really raw behind the plate, and between that and Ross putting up a whacko season out of nowhere, Montero spent far more time riding the bench than he expected / should have. (Arrieta and I think Hendricks flat-out refused to have Contreras catch them last year because they hated the way he called games.)

Also, he literally won the World Series for the Cubs last year.

5. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Tim Tebow has homered for the first time since his promotion. Get ready, Mets fans!

6. Ar-Pharazon

[LovieSmith] All the pieces are in place [/LovieSmith]

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

The Mets will start moving some players soon and it will open up a spot in the outfield for Tebow to be called up. Tebow Time is almost upon us, can you smell it?

8. Ar-Pharazon

Hey, if you can't field a winner, at least go full Bill Veeck.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm hearing talk about a Mets reunion with Bartolo Colon.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I've heard the same thing. Colon is giving Julio Franco a run for his money.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Poor Dustin Fowler. It hurt just to watch what happened to him last night. :(

12. The Lady Eve

The Lady Eve Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It seems so damn unfair, doesnt it? Kid doesn't even get his first ML at bat and everybody had such high hopes for him. :( A ruptured patella tendon is horrible, but Fowler is known for his work ethic and spirit so fingers crossed he can rehab.

DailyNews

13. Mr. Laser Beam

I see that Fowler was put on the 10-day DL. That's way too short a time frame for surgery like this, innit? I assumed that he would be out for the entire season. :confused:

14. The Lady Eve

The Lady Eve Vice Admiral Admiral

Could that just be a mistake? I'm reading he's out for a minimum of 6 months - more realistically a year.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Yeah, the first report I heard must have been a typo. Tonight's Yanks/Astros game, the commentators said that Fowler is out for the season.

16. Ar-Pharazon

I figure they put a player on the 10 day DL until they get an MRI/CT/whatever and confirmation, then they transfer him to the 60 DL or the MLB equivalent to the IR.

Hedging their bets.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Pitchers need to stop bitching about the balls being "juiced". Get over it, it's not a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

If they want to stop all the home runs...can't they just shut the fuck up and learn how to throw strikes?

18. Ar-Pharazon

Home runs are usually hit on strikes, just ones that don't move.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Math ruined baseball for me. So hard to get into a game where the best team in the league wins 60% of their games. Sisko is wrong! I absolutely hate the wild card play-in game, the way it penalizes the second best team for playing in the best division. How do you enjoy a sport where the odds of the best team winning the championship are lower than for pretty much all other sports?

At least they didn't paralyze the defenders to artificially increase scoring like hockey, or introduce a 'Point for losing' to artificially increase aggression. Baseball is still more watchable than hockey purely on grounds of still being a zero sum game with a natural rule set.

For baseball to become like hockey, they'd have to introduce a rule preventing fielders from catching the ball with their dominant hand.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  20. Mr. Laser Beam

If only there could be another expansion...then each league could go to 4 divisions with no wild card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.