MLB 17-18 Offseason: The Giants are preparing for EYBS' return

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^If that’s the case, I don’t see how sending Stanton to a park where he can hit more home runs helps things.

For the moment, at least, the Yankees have a scary lineup that may get even scarier if Bird is healthy, Torres is as good as advertised, and Miguel Andujar can stick with the club (he looked impressive in limited action this past season).

Oh, and before I forget, can the city of Oakland get its shit together? Libby Schaff seems like a very nice person, but does she really want to keep the A’s from moving to San Jose?

2. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Please stop blaming this on Jeter. They want to rebuild and they have the albatross of a contract that is Stanton. It think Jeter is smart to divest from Stanton, yeah he's a great player but for how many more years. So they have to trade Stanton to move forward and Stanton having a full No Trade really puts them in a bind. If Stanton chose to goto St. Louis, the Marlins would have gotten the same or worse deal. Stanton chose the Yankees, Jeter DID NOT.

3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

4. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have MLB.TV and there were a few Marlins games I did watch. I don't think I can watch another Marlins game willingly again. What a mess of a franchise they are.

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The Cubs have signed former Dodgers reliever Brandon Morrow to a 2 year contract.

Story

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The Modern Era Committee has elected Jack Morris and Alan Trammell to the Hall of Fame.

Trammell getting in is real good, but Jack Morris getting elected to the Hall is a joke and opens the door for a slew of average pitchers (by JAWS, he's something like the second-worst pitcher in there now). Having Morris, with his career ERA+ of 105--literally the definition of just a tiny bit better than league-average--in and keeping Mussina and Clemens out for another voting cycle is hilariously bad.

Edit: By JAWS, there are three pitchers lower than Morris in the Hall, and two (Catfish Hunter and Candy Cummings) is in there for their historical meaning to the game, and another (Left Gomez) is in because of an overly generous Veterans Committee from way back when. The five guys between Bob Lemon at 115 and Morris at 164 are all deadball-era dudes.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I can’t tell you how disappointed I am they put Jack Morris in.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Was kinda hoping for Tiant...

10. Timby

Tiant's a Hall of Very Good guy, but he at least has a better case than Morris because he had two seasons in which he was indisputably the best pitcher in his league.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, know he's kinda borderline, but DID have his moments. Figured that plus the Cuba angle may be a factor to push him in...

12. Timby

With the exception of Stark (who still has his moments), all old-school "rub some dirt on it" guys who think grit is all that matters, which explains why Morris sailed in on that ballot, and a couple of guys--DeWitt, Beeston, Alderson and Schuerholz--who absolutely hated Marvin Miller and the union.

13. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

A-ROID falls off the books and boom, another 10 frakin year contract.

Got to hand it to Cashman again. We land Stanton, and our team Salary is lower that it was before we got him.

I'm not sure how I feel about this acquisition. Good lord, our line-up is going to be killer. But who stays in right?

Castro, ..... I'm sure you were like me here..... I like the kid, but damn - he's got to be the worst 2 strike hitter in history. I sort of knew they were going to deal him. Good pitching crushes him.

The only real dilemma Cash has if frellin Ellsbury. I swear, the "no trade" option the GM's keep allowing in contracts is nuts.

14. Timby

I'm going to ban you for a day if you say this again.

cardinal biggles and Scout101 like this.
  15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

He was certainly happy enough to cheer for him when he was helping (that one time), and that was long after the steroid stuff, so it's crappy at best. All that "not a REAL Yankee" nonsense...

16. Timby

In other news, Dan Duquette now says the Orioles aren't interested in talking to any pitchers who want more than a two- or three-year deal.

I'm still wondering why the O's blocked Duquette from taking over in Toronto. Dude's an idiot and he's completely annihilated the team Andy MacPhail built. You were in last place last year, your rotation is a tire fire and the Yankees just added one of the best hitters in baseball ... and your response is to trade away international pool money and nibble at fringe players from other organizations. God damn it.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

So close, they were almost relevant for a second. But they're happy slipping back into 3rd/4th place and just cashing in the ticket revenue I guess.

18. Timby

They don't even get that much in ticket revenue. Baltimore is far more a football city than it is baseball; it's not uncommon for Camden to draw 15,000 people even in June or July, and on gameday you can walk up to the box office and get great seats for maybe ten bucks. The park fills when the Yankees or Red Sox are in town, or if the O's are still in playoff contention in September.

Edit: Scott Boras is telling teams that the starting point for Jake Arrieta is 7 / 200. Uh, so long, Jake, congrats on the Cy Young and thanks for helping win a World Series and hitting awesome pitcher dingers, but, yeah, no.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  19. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

7 / 200 for a guy who will be 32 on opening day and who has had one really great season and two and half good seasons? :guffaw:The Cubs definitely got the best out of him. If any team actually falls for that line of Boars bull, they will regret it.

20. Timby

And is starting to have injuries pile up ... and had a significant drop in velocity this past season, likely due to overuse in 2015 and 2016.

Good on Boras for shooting for the moon, because that's his job, but that's a contract the Cubs don't need, considering they already have three more years of Lester with a full no-trade. (Oh, and that little Heyward contract.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.