Missing Episode Animation Wish List

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Basically, if the BBC wish/want to do animation of the remaining missing episodes and it was in your hand, what order would you want them to take? Which would be your top episodes and which your lowest?

Well?

2. Emperor-Tiberius

Here's my order of stories I'd want to see animated in order:

01. The Smugglers
    02. The Highlanders / The Underwater Menace (only if possible for the latter)
    03. The Macra Terror
    04. The Faceless Ones
    05. The Evil of the Daleks
    06. The Crusade
    07. The Abominable Snowmen
    08. Fury from the Deep
    09. Galaxy 4
    10. "Mission to the Unknown" / The Myth Makers
    11. The Daleks' Master Plan
    12. The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve
    13. The Celestial Toymaker
    14. The Savages
    15. The Wheel in Space
    16. Marco Polo
    17. The Space Pirates

Frankly, if The Space Pirates never gets animated, I wouldn't lose my sleep. However, it is Robert Holmes' first ever serial, so it has its significance.

3. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Highlanders then wheel in space would be the first 2 I want, but I do want them all done.

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see why they can do all of them, if the original audio tracks exist that half the cost of doing them already done. When they did 'Power of the Daleks' I wonder how much is cost to produce since the voices were already provided?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Second, actually. Robert Holmes's first was The Krotons.

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    1. "The Highlanders." I love me some Jamie!
    2. "Fury from the Deep." Now that we have "The Enemy of the World" & "The Web of Fear" back in their near-entirety, I'd like to keep that momentum by continuing on the binge-watch with the next story.
    3. "The Wheel in Space." Comes right after "Fury from the Deep" and introduces Zoe. I love Zoe!
    4. "The Smugglers." I can't believe it took until Season 4 for Hartnell to finally do a pirate story.
    5. "The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve." Sounds like an interesting concept with Hartnell in a double role and the introduction of Dodo at the end.
    6. "The Mythmakers." I like the Trojan War and I'd like to see the departure of Vicki and the introduction of Katarina.
    7. "The Abominable Snowmen." I really like "The Web of Fear," so I'd like to get a proper look at the lead-up to it in this story.
    8. "The Savages." Significant for being Steven's finale.

After that, I kinda don't care. And, other than "The Invasion," I haven't been impressed with any of the animated replacement episodes that they've done so far. Although, I haven't seen "Power of the Daleks" yet. Is that any good?

Frankly, I'd be just as satisfied with official DVD releases of telesnap reconstructions, so long as they're decent like "The Web of Fear, Part 3" and not dull, motionless crap like what the BBC put on DVD for Parts 1 & 4 of "The Underwater Menace."

7. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, the usual team were specifically ordered NOT to do anymore for the Menace episodes, even though they were willing to do it for free.
    Reading between the lines, TPTB didn't want to release Menace, but had been forced to do so by fan interest, so didn't want decent extras to increase sales and hence prove them wrong about whether it was worth releasing.

8. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

My suspicion (and I admit I have nothing to back it up): Philip Morris told the BBC he either had (or was in the process of tracking down) the Menace episodes and needed time to retrieve/restore them. Why waste time and effort (albeit free) on something that might well be obsolete a couple years down the line? Either way, as diankra said, the DVD was a fan-forced stopgap measure.

9. diankra

No, that's too conspiracy theory. It was just that with the 'old series' range concluded the last year, the only people left in charge were running new series releases, and didn't want to muddy the range image with 'that old rubbish'.
    Might seem silly, but back in 96 BBC Video (as it then was) pulled most of the VHS back catalogue thinking it would boost sales of the Tv Movie.

10. Emperor-Tiberius

I honestly don't think Phil has any more discoveries to make. If there were to have any more, there would've been by now. I also don't believe Levine's inspid remarks that "he waits for (him) to die before he reveals anything:" Which is insane, Omega-level proportions.

11. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

read the novelisation many years ago plus clips from the Lost In Time box set and can't say this is one I think would be worth doing an animation for.

12. Emperor-Tiberius

I don't care for it, but if it can be animated, I'd go for it. I just can't stand the idea of no completed story in this list.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  13. diankra

As a story, it's well down the list. But as a story that only need two episodes of animation done, it's top two (with Crusade).
    The 'need three' list is Celestial Toymaker and Galaxy 4.
    The more interesting 'need four' list includes Faceless Ones and Wheel in Space, plus six [edit] entirely missing four parters.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

We're lucky there's a significant extract of episode 1 still in existence as well.

15. Emperor-Tiberius

Question: Would anyone want to see Douglas Adams' The Krikkitmen adapted into animation? Since we're getting Shada, it might be an interesting project to see, as it'd be a complete new Fourth Doctor story, by Doug Adams no less, even if via James Goss, and I'm always for new animated DW stories. What'd you think?

16. The Wormhole

It would definitely be an ambitious project, but I guess it could be feasible. Personally, I'll wait until after I've read Krikkitmen before I offer an opinion on if they should do it, but broadly speaking in hypothetical terms I see no reason why it shouldn't be an option worth considering.

17. Emperor-Tiberius

As far as Big Finish goes... I'd have to lean on No, with exceptions. I'd certainly to see some one-offs, like maybe Omega or Spare Parts or some of the Lost Stories... but not whole swarm of stories. Mostly because it'd take forever to have them made, and because, well, the fact that they're audio stories is part of their charm. That fact that you can carry those DW stories with you on a ride on the subway or bus or even a ride with your car... so, yeah. However, I'd certainly to see ALL the Peri and Evelyn stories, as well as Six's regeneration done, if budget was no object. Otherwise, my golden five would be Omega, Foe from the Future, Psychodrome, Spare Parts and The First Sontarans.

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Considering the The Krikkitmen essentially became Life, the Universe and Everything, I doubt we'll ever see an adaption of the story in any form.

19. The Wormhole

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member