Mirror Broken Issue 3 (Review Thread)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by InfiniteBatmans, Aug 16, 2017.

1. InfiniteBatmans

InfiniteBatmans Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Is anyone else here reading this comic? I think it has been great so far and I felt this issue was the best yet.

My "formal" Review is:

Issue #3 of Star Trek The Next Generation: Mirror Broken is, simply put, a delight to read. It introduces the remainder of the cast from TNG into the narrative, and finally places our characters into their (mostly) familiar surroundings.

I won't go into the story details here, this review will be mostly spoiler free. However, suffice it to say that this issue is just as violent and bloody as a Mirror Universe story should be, while simultaneously still having our characters feel like natural divergences from the ones we loved in the television series.

The art in this series is simply phenomenal. Woodward has managed to capture the feel of these characters in a way I can't quite put my finger on. When bearded Picard smiles it feels genuine in a way few comics do for me. The likeness of Jellico is also incredibly spot on. The only exception for me is Geordi and Leah Brahms who feel ever so slightly off to me.

Any of those minor concerns about the art melt away when they show the Enteprise-D in all her beautiful Terran glory. The redesign of the interior is subtle but noticeable and well thought out, and the choice to base the exterior on the refit model from "All Good Things..." is inspired.

The way that Scott and David Tipton have captured the voices of the characters is also spot on. I was literally hearing the actors delivering the lines in my head as I was reading this issue, which I wasn't quite experiencing with the previous ones. I feel like they have a firm handle on these characters, not just their original versions, but also their slightly different (but still so familiar) Mirror Universe counterparts.
    Overall Rating: 9/10 Fine, Full, Distinguished Beards

Markonian likes this.
  2. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I greatly enjoyed the issue as well, for all the reasons you stated, I am constantly impressed by the artwork and how they nailed the "twisted" reflections of the TNG characters we know and love. I haven't bought a comic book in almost 20 years, but I saw issue #1 laying on a toy shelf at a Nerdy store I frequent, and the cover artwork (just the standard cover with Picard and the Stargazer), was enough to get me to buy the first 2 issues and pay for the other 4 in advance so I was sure theye'd be ordered! it is a pity there will be only six issues, but at the same time the pace of the story is so fast so maybe thats for the better, Hopefully it does well with today's comic market being in the gutter.

InfiniteBatmans likes this.
  3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Now that they have the E-D, they'll sure battle the Klingons and Cardassians in the next issue. The time of the story has been kept under wraps - to surprise us with an encounter with the ISS Defiant NX-74205?

InfiniteBatmans likes this.
  4. brianwdaugherty

brianwdaugherty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My only concern is each issue is too short. I've found myself wanting at least twice as much content as we've been getting.

I do find the Tipton brothers' take on the mirror-verse TNG characters -- the same people from the prime timeline, changed by the universe they live in -- to be perhaps the most interesting thing about the storyline. In every other take on the mirror-verse, the Empire characters have been portrayed to be as inherently evil as their prime counterparts are inherently good (Spock perhaps being an exception to the rule). Here, all of the TNG Enterprise characters seem to be not completely evil, having some redeeming character traits.

Barclay looks to be the character to keep one's eye on, by the way...

Markonian and InfiniteBatmans like this.
  5. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I thought the same, Barclay and Data look to be the wildcards on board. I'm also looking forward to the inevitable run in with Worf.

6. InfiniteBatmans

InfiniteBatmans Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That's the unfortunate reality of individual comic issues.