Microsoft Fixes October Update For 10, Keeps 1809 Version Number?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by USS Triumphant, Nov 13, 2018.

1. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Santaman and Random_Spock like this.
  2. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Windows as a service, you will service Micro$oft beta testing their software.. :p

Gawd what a load of bull M$ is spouting..
    "We shifted the responsibility for base functional testing to our development teams in order to deliver higher quality code from the start."
    Translation: we did away with Quality control and let the userbase do it before we roll it out to it our precious enterprise users, much cheaper sucka's!
    Quality changes = It will get worse.
    Better communication with customers = we ship out beta versions and stalk fora to see the crying, cursing and moaning, no we're not going to tell anyone anything SURPRISE!

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...10-version-1809-re-released-pro-tip-wait.html
    "Microsoft’s stumbling all over itself trying to get Win10 1809 released. Unless you need an updated Notepad, a clipboard that works almost as well as free add-ons, or a screenshooter that can’t even save in JPG format, wait for more shoes to drop."

Random_Spock likes this.
  3. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. And the whole automated system they use for that... just equals less people that they have to pay. :biggrin: :brickwall:

Santaman likes this.
  4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I think people would be leaving them by now if it wasn't for their grip on developers. Linux is gaining ground, but the vast, vast majority of mainstream programs are only compatible with Microsoft. If Linux could get a nice chunk of that, Microsoft would lose the influence they have. Of course, Microsoft went and bought Canonical, so... I'm not sure whether or not that would work anyway.

Random_Spock likes this.
  5. Random_Spock

Same thing goes with games. I'd go with anything else, if it weren't for less support on other platforms.

Amaris likes this.
  6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

True. Thanks to Steam's efforts to boost compatibility for its own OS, Linux has a lot more support for games, but it's a far cry from the sheer absurd number of games one gets that are Microsoft Windows compatible. Add in that you can now play Xbox games with Windows, and that Windows Mixed Reality only works with Microsoft Windows, and things get much harder to circumvent.

Random_Spock likes this.
  7. Random_Spock

Definitely. I'd have to have a dual boot for any future computer I have, given that a lot of my games, Sims 4 included, are the Windows versions.

Amaris likes this.
  8. Santaman

Here's something interesting then.
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561
    I hope this will fix a lot of game on Linux issues.

Random_Spock and Amaris like this.
  9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah, about 85% of my games are Windows only, and about 50% of them WINE can't play on its best day.

I'm hoping so as well. WINE has been hit and miss from the start, but if this can help make an end-run around most of those compatibility issues, there may be hope for gamers who want to get away from Windows.

Random_Spock likes this.
  10. Random_Spock

Yea it's just another wrench there. And add in the updates which are another fun barrel of monkeys to deal with... Microsoft is pretty much shooting itself in the foot.

Haven't even bothered with them since all of my drivers aren't even update-able anymore. I'm afraid of running into something that would be outside of my pay grade to repair thanks to Windows own incompetence. 1709 has been ok thankfully, but those newer updates are very shaky to say the least.

It's like they're doing their best to try to force people to get newer laptops and stuff, even if that's not in the realm of possibility at this time. Heck I'm not one to replace anything every couple of years. I try to keep things going for 10 years or more if I can. It's an investment. But it seems as if computers are just being built for planned obsolescence more and more. Not that parts don't fail... but it seemed as if things lasted longer before.

11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

That’s why I built my latest system. I planned it to last anywhere from 5-10 years, and I did it on a budget of under $400. RAM upgradeability is everything. Processors that are 10-12 years old will still get the job done, but W10 is a RAM killer.

Random_Spock likes this.
  12. Random_Spock

Awesome. Definitely. Mine is around 6-7 years old now and still running good. But I definitely need to upgrade RAM.

Found out my laptop is capable of having up to 8gb of ram; and up to a 2tb SSD Drive. Which surprised me a bit. Thought it was pretty cool to find that out.

Amaris likes this.
  13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

There’s a few years left in that PC if you run W10. Of course, if Linux could work with all of your stuff, that laptop would have who knows how many years. Linux truly does breathe life into older machines.

14. Santaman

I don't expect Windows to become any leaner again or faster. I think that as long this management remains, Windows will only become more bloated unreliable and slow.

Amaris likes this.
  15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

For a while they seemed like they wanted to do the whole lighter/slimmer/leaner thing, but when Windows Phone folded, I think they gave it up. For a while there, Windows was a good OS for older machines, but with all of these Window 10 updates and add-ons, it has become so bloated as to slow down even higher end machines. When a PC has to work itself to death just to support the OS, that's a problem.

Santaman likes this.
  16. Santaman

That is the main problem, you got it right there, it IS an OS not a service, that is what derails their work, they have pulled all their focus away from the one main task Windows has to perform above all, be a reliable OS, that has been completely snowed under the barrage of "features" and so on.

Random_Spock and Amaris like this.
  17. Random_Spock

Yea I think so too, been keeping up to date on anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-spyware updates and what not. Cool.

Ran into a bit of a buzz while playing itunes today, used to it now, but I'm thinking it's RAM related. A bit annoying as it's the only way I can listen to music for now as my ipod is out of commission for now. :p

Exactly. Instead of focusing on what helps to keep computers running well and running safe, they're piling on tons and tons of baloney that should be optional, instead of being forced on users.

Amaris likes this.
  18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Indeed, I don't like this OS as a service bull. I want it the way it was: I install an OS, it's mine to use as I see fit. It's why I don't subscribe to the absurdity that is Microsoft Office 365. That trend needs to die off, but it's easy money for software developers. People won't pay $300 flat for your product, instead they pay $10-$20 a month for years, and when they stop paying they don't have access to it. I don't like that.

What makes you think it's the RAM?

Random_Spock likes this.
  19. Random_Spock

Anytime it hits around 70% usage when I'm on itunes (and sometimes on Youtube), it seems to do that. It's at 72% right now with no problems with it off, only have 4 windows open.

Only other things I can think of are Google itself and Windows 10.

20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Your CPU could be overheating, and causing the fans to spin up louder. When that happens it could be creating a voltage issue, and your power supply just can't handle it. Speakers are very sensitive to electrical disruption. When was the last time you opened up the laptop chassis?