Michelle Yeoh or Jason Isaacs will last the least amount of time?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by PaddyRyan1706, Jun 18, 2017.

1. PaddyRyan1706

PaddyRyan1706 Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's been suggested by some that these big name actors won't be around very long - how likely is it that Isaacs/ Yeoh will be written out fairly early on?

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Obviously I don't *know*, but I have a feeling Yeoh's captain won't survive the pilot and might only appear in flashbacks after that (if at all). As for Jason Isaacs, I guess (and hope, really) he will stick around much longer. Because only then the writers would make true their promise of the story/show being told from the perspective of a non-captain main character for the first time. It would be a shame if they would make Burnham the captain in a matter of episodes, because the possibilities of her being the first officer are much more interesting.

3. PaddyRyan1706

Agreed... that would be like making Kirk captain after his first mission. Wait a minute!

4. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always found that a particularly odd boast considering there's literally hundreds of episodes of Star Trek across all series that aren't focusing on the Captain...

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't exactly call them "big name actors." And yes, unlike Star Trek shows of the past, because this one was scripted ahead of time, the fates of these characters rests on the story.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

You are talking in jest I guess, but really, I think the circumstances in Star Trek (2009) were different from those in Discovery. The movie was all about arriving at the classic character constellation at the end. We can debate whether the writers chose a particularly believable way of getting the characters there (which I personally think they didn't), but it's undeniable I think that there was an audience expectation to have the characters in their proper positions they know from The Original Series.

With Discovery there isn't such an expectation. That's the beauty of completely new characters, you can do with them whatever you want as a writer.

Of course we all haven't seen the show yet, but I think some people are misunderstanding what the writers are trying to do and how the series will play out. I think it will be the first Trek to be told from the perspective of one non-captain character, while all the other Trek series were told from multiple perspectives.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  7. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

I wonder if Yeoh will make it through more episodes than we're expecting - but be injured in such a way that she wouldn't be put into the chain of command on the Discovery itself when the Shenzhou crew transitions over to the other ship. I agree that her death is likely though, and it will be her and not Lorca as we've already seen Burnham/Georgiou have a mother/daughter relationship alongside her relationship with Sarek being characterised as father/daughter - it will be the Uncle Ben / Thomas and Martha Wayne moment that forges Burnham into the starship commander she was destined to be.

8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but if you take the ten Voyager episodes that were focused on Harry Kim, and call that The Ensign Adventures Show, that's basically the same thing. :D

9. PaddyRyan1706

An Empire podcast recently made a joke the reason that Isaacs' character wasn't in the trailer was because he is obviously killed off early on. Personally I am not so sure, either way it won't be long until we find out.

10. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

But the captain of each series is still the main character they stick on mugs and posters. Just like in other shows, say SG1 where we have Teal'c episodes but O'Neil is still the main man.

On topic: The rumours baffle me. Might be true, might not be. But it makes little to no sense to base the series on a character thats (according to the hints so far) learning her place in the universe and has a perspective outwith the big chair only to undo that base concept as soon as they can.

11. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Well IMDB is showing her for 15 episodes, not sure how accurate that is but killing her off in the pilot and having her show up for 14 episodes in Flashbacks would be as annoying as the Flashback sequences in Arrow.

12. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

IMDB is rarely accurate.

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Rarely accurate for future productions.

But, yeah, I wouldn't trust anything they're saying right now.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  14. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

They're pretty big names in the context of the franchise.

15. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I think they'll both be in the series, at least in the first season. My thinking is that Shenzhou and her crew will go off on another mission by end of the series, with Discovery and her crew being the focal point after that.

I don't understand this preoccupation with people dying, ships being destroyed, etc. among fans. Jesus! Will you be disappointed if things were kept intact in the series?

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  16. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Oh - it good happen. But it would appear to leave Shenzhou without half of her command crew, it would seem - since Burnham, Saru, Connor and Nambue end up on the Discovery.

17. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Considering she hasn't been on the set since the first few weeks I am doubting it is accurate.........

18. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I think the concept of there being two ships beyond a single episode is so alien that people just assume one will be destroyed. I can't say there's any evidence for that, especially as characters we've seen on the Shenzhou, including Yeoh's, have been announced as big cast members. It's possible, of course, but I think the alternative, both ships surviving, fits better with what they've said so far.

19. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

That's one thing I never understood about Trek. It seems like it's always been about a single ship out exploring alone. I would think it would make more sense to send 2 or 3 ships out together on exploratory missions, especially to parts of the galaxy where they've never been before.

20. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Logically, it does make sense for Trek ships to operate in small fleets, especially doing exploration. But it makes it harder and costlier to make a show - more sets, more characters, more complex storylines. Modern shows have shown it can be done (e.g. nuBSG), so perhaps Trek is getting on board with the idea.

KennyB likes this.