Methinks that Being Erica is an Unlicensed Spinoff of The Matrix.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Guy Gardener, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Being Erica.

Psychotherapy via Time Travel, but the mechanics behind the timetravel-tools were never explained to my liking last time through. I've almost finished 4 seasons in four days with a slightly more intuitive mind between my ears which drew me to this conclusion.

The Matrix was mentioned twice during the course of the series.

And...
    So how can a movie be inside a movie about a movie?

Blame Spaceballs.

Call it misdirection.

But if everyone in Being Erica is really inside a battery pod with their psyche synced into the Matrix, now suddenly all the time travel, space bending, and parallel realities makes complete sense, since there is no time travel at all, just editing with memories stored on vast server farms and then creating a new present(s) in the Matrix to reflect those memories.

:)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  2. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still haven't seen this show! I want to though. :(

3. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

You should. Its really, really good. In fact, I rate it as my number one show of all time. DS9's a close second.

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting interpretation there...

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Seen S1 of this show and some of S2. And it was enjoyable

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it really is one of the more original concepts out there. An excellent show.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I really should look out for a re-run. Though there was a rumored British version of it a year or so back.

8. Guy Gardener

Wikipedia says

The English stuff never seemed to have eventuated?

However...

The Yank Show seems to be all engines go, although IMDB is listing it as a Drama and not a Fantasy.

Starring Laura Ramsey who seems pretty, but I have never seen her work that I remember her.

Thank you for the food for thought MacLeod.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Hindsight doesn't seem like a version of Being Erica. Looks like it's simply a story about a woman who gets to relive her life from 1995 onward.

Source

Laura Ramsey was in my favorite episode of Mad Men.

As for Being Erica, it's one of my favorite shows of all time too. I eagerly await a TV movie. But if they make one, will Tatiana Maslany be onboard?

As for the time travel stuff...

I think that whatever it is they do got started in the 60s. It strikes me as something recently developed as opposed to something ancient. There was a new age awakening and this was part of it. Erica could find out easily enough though. ;)

10. Guy Gardener

I came to two conclusions.

1. Whoever wrote the description on IMDB didn't notice the time travel elements from the promotional material that they were given.

2. A producer at some point in preproduction decided that Time travel was unnecessary and stripped all fantasy from the project.

You've drawn a third conclusion that who ever wrote the Being Erica spinoff blurb was wrong or misled, but I tracked Hindsight through the writer and the lead character mentioned on the Being Erica page, so it's not the Wrong Hindsight.

(google, google google.)

From your link from deadline comes straight up.

I also found this headline VH1 Orders ‘Being Erica'-Like Drama Pilot From ‘Jane By Design’ Writer/Producer.

Which again, someone not so smart might think that the new show is a direct spinoff and not just merely similar (It sounds more like Peggy Sue Got Married, or the last 6 episodes of Felicity.) and lead to an incorrect entry in wikipedia.

DAMN YOU WIKIPEDIA!

Also.

There are two characters called Sabrina who are about the same age.

I think that they may have already made two pilots and recast the part for the second time around.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Guy, I would really like to know what recreational pharmacceuticals you use.

12. Guy Gardener

Why do people keep saying that?

13. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my favourite things about the show were the philosophical explorations that it offered. I can't imagine it would be as interesting without the fantasy and the time-travel, which was a core element of the show.

And Dr Tom was a great character.