Mental Wellness Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Twilight Phoenix, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Does anyone else who's on the spectrum find they're sensitive to certain medications?

Butters and think like this.
  2. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

As we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence actually liberates others.
    - Marianne Williamson

3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

no, rather the opposite: I found that nothing had a major effect.

think likes this.
  4. rhubarbodendron

my anxiety fits have returned in December butthey changed: even if the trigger is gone and I have forgotten about it, I still feel anxious. The anxiety is in auto-mode, so to speak.
    I suspect a physical problem behind it, not so much an emotional one. Could it be a side effect of the menopause? Has anyone experienced something similar and might be able to give me a tip? It's difficult atm to get a therapeut. (No appointment before December/January available)

Gryffindorian likes this.
  5. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

rhubarbodendron and think like this.
  6. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

I've been really struggling to cope with "lockdown" of late, not that I ever went anywhere regularly before all this, just that I've been placed in a situation I'd rather not be in.
    But I have to carry on doing what I'm doing.

7. think

tater tots 1.jpg
    this was in my PTSD meme group and I just could relate to this all too well. It is funny for me and I am thinking.. that it might be funny for people to see.. --- it was really difficult to figure out what thread it might be good to post in.. but yeah.

8. Ocanain

Ocanain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi there. Thought I’d chime in because I’m quite active in promoting neurodiversity. Personally I have HFA (High Functioning Autism) from a genetic micro deletion syndrome. It keeps things interesting. Amongst other things I experience SPD, proprioceptive and hyper-interoceptive issues. I’m quite proud of my lineage and see my ‘plight’ as an advantage rather than a disadvantage. Much of my time is spent explains the experience to neurotypicals to broaden their understanding of ASD.

I was very pleased to see this thread. Good on you.

9. think

Welcome @Ocanain I might need to consult you with things.. I too feel my schizoaffective major depression and addictions recovery is something that is an advantage.. I have felt that way for several years now in my plight to be positive with all things I am. --- the consult is for a friend not quite caretaker level but I am what is called their sponsor .. I advise them about the horrors of alcohol use.. in the way of alcoholisms -- they part of the ASD -- and using alcohol for their coping to sleep and to mostly get thru a day.. -- I am advising them not to do this in all sorts and types of ways but have not had.. any luck - it is in the rehab and detox they go and still no luck.. it is mostly about 1/2 a day sober that they manage but that is all - the praying helps but does not solve their returning to this.. they have close relatives with long amounts of sober time as well.. that is not helping --- any of any kind of advice that would break them out of this problem would be so helpful if you have time..--

Nakita Akita and KimMH like this.
  10. think

11. think

there was a time where I thought everyone had the crazy childhood.. but mmmm no not normal and such for me.. --- so this is ok I add my own perspective to situations and such. this meme is like funny here to me. as I have been here before. :)

94386715_1365413133846590_1188575771887665152_n.jpg

12. rhubarbodendron

I often wonder how therapists deal with all the horrors they have to listen to all day. Are there therapists for therapists, or at least a hotline?

Nakita Akita and think like this.
  13. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

One of my best friends, age 13-about 23 or so, was raped by her father starting at age about 10. I found out about it when we were 16. He WAS a pretty creepy guy.
    But being able to talk to her made us both feel better I think.

I think one of the highest levels of people leaving the profession and suicide is veterinarians. Veterinarians in the USA is pretty much on par with a medical doctor degree.

I think if you can communicate with the patient that relieves a lot if the job stress.
    A medical doctor or mental health practitioner can give and take during a dicussion.
    This is impossible with a horse or a cat or dog.
    I think it would be worse and more stressful to be a veterinarian.

14. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Your takeaway from witnessing your friend suffer from years of sexual abuse is that animal doctors have it worst? Well.

Ocanain likes this.
  15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. Every therapist is recommended to be in therapy and to have either supervision or a peer for support when managing cases. I have a clinical supervisor since I am not licensed to practice independently and will often go to her when I have very difficult stories or cases I need to process through. Very important and it is part of schooling, training, and codes of ethics for counselors and social workers in a clinical role.

There is very much a growing professional awareness that therapists are humans who struggle with the stories they here. There is a huge emphasis on self-care within my agency to ensure healthy functioning, including access to short term therapy.

rhubarbodendron likes this.
  16. Ocanain

Ocanain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi there.
    It’s such I noble thing to take a mentor position or be a sponsor. It too, can be hard going.
    Sometimes it’s about covering all bases. I see you’re making reference to prayer, detox, sober social circles and role models and even the cautions of outcome. It’s different with every person. Sometimes distraction can be worthwhile by taking them along with you to demonstrate ways they can substitute alcohol use in other pursuits with you. Sometimes it’s about finding ways to impress their inherent value on them. One way to do that is religion by illustrating the concept that everyone has a high worth or by more secular means (psychologically) by helping them develop skills in a way that will allow them pride at their own successes, no matter how small. Daring social interaction often has a positive effect too because there is a measure of underlying self-destructiveness in this manner of alcohol use but overall being a friend of influence is always more powerful than being a barrier or teacher. Hope this is of some help.

17. Nakita Akita

No I meant that she had me to talk to because at that time she didn't get to have therapy.
    I think anyone who needs therapy is very lucky to have someone to talk to. Friend therapist etc.
    The person I was responding to said that being a therapist must be very tough for the therapist. I'm sure it is, but a therapist is dealing with a human being, and they can exchange ideas, thoughts, concepts, treatments.

My comparison was the difficulty for veterinarians. A veterinarian cannot connect on the same level with their patients. A person can't explain a disease to a horse or a cat.

My comparison was between the profession of therapist and veterinarian in that effect of dealing, on a day to day basis, with the intricacies of their job.
    It is a truth that many veterinarians not only quit their profession some have even committed suicide, due to the emotional ups and downs of the job. Ie. Doing a new puppy wellness exam then 15 minutes later putting down a sick or old animal, then giving a diagnosis to the owner of an animal that it has a terminal disease then an hour later delivering a litter of puppies.

That was my point, I was responding to the person that said therapists must be very sad hearing about what people have gone through in their lives each day. The person it seemed was saying that the therapists almost might need therapy.

It seems though that more veterinarians than therapists have issues that seem to almost cause them to need therapy more than therapists.

18. rhubarbodendron

I think the core of the problem is that vets can hardly communicate with their patients. Their patients can't tell them where it hurts or what their emotional problem is. At best they whine or use body language. But take hamsters or rats for example: they verbally communicate in infra- and ultrasound, have no specific pain sounds and hardly any body language when they are ill.
    Vets have to find out everything about their patients' illesses all by themselves. At the same time, their patients have absolute trust in them. This way vets always have the double pressure of having to be omniscient and perfect. They constantly have to ask themselves if what they do is really correct and if they might have overlooked something. It's a huge responsibility.
    Also, there's always the conflict betweenwanting to rescue lives and having to end them. I imagine that must be very traumatic.

Nakita Akita and think like this.
  19. Nakita Akita

To me the traumatic part for a veterinarian is that, unlike a person, who can be told that they may only have 6 months to live, your dog, cat, llama etc. won't understand that.
    You could ask a person, " do you want to get X treatment or not?"
    You can't ask your cat.
    In therapy, you can explain to the patient how the therapy will help, how they may feel, you can ask how they feel, if they want to continue, etc.

I think being a veterinarian is a very tough job. ( for some)

20. think

94691985_116629410031556_701412595168444416_n.jpg
    except this stone.. ===