Mental Wellness Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Twilight Phoenix, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a little bit miffed right now. I use an on-line learning platform at work that features webinars on a variety of topics. One of the instructors has a lecture on Cognitive Styles, in which she wrote, "OCD stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - someone who is very detailed and perfectionist - at the very extreme may be someone who needs to do certain things repeatedly."

I just responded to her and said, "As a person who has chronic anxiety, I object to your definition of OCD. A person with OCD suffers from unwanted, intrusive, and disturbing thoughts and tries to counter them with repetitive behaviors." I resent the use of OCD to refer to someone who is a "clean freak" or very organized. It's like saying a person with autism is very stupid and antisocial. :rolleyes:

Sibyl and rhubarbodendron like this.
  2. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Getting cross at myself as leaving the house has suddenly become an issue. WTF.

rhubarbodendron and KimMH like this.
  3. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

And yet you'll do it and that will be at least one thing you've accomplished. Besides keeping a house full of kids from spiraling downward into chaos which is a mightily underrated task; none the less and all the more heroic for having to do it EVERY DAY. Go you!

4. think

think About it! Premium Member

looking for reasons to allow myself to feel something other then Good/great... again. not that I am not good I am mmmmm great but also I tell people that it is weird... I guess that I am great and everyone else is just good.. or ok or mmmmm into themselves ... too me tooo... but it is great Once a decision to be great is made then it manifests and I get greater in my decision to be great.. but --- where does it stop (it does not) I just allow me to get better then better still.. and more so ever mostly ... I am not going to stop this ... because it is great I am great...

What would you do? when I feel great all the time well not all the time those moments of (i have to stop sleeping and or laying here in bed ... i am going to die again and again,.. but change is so painful) ahhhh back to sleep but I slept forever again. waking is not a temporal thing that needs justification Just wake up and think more... about how great things are I guess /// confusion..

KimMH likes this.
  5. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

I'm glad you are feeling great. I hope you will not have to feel otherwise very often.

think likes this.
  6. think

you know if everyone would just wake up and feel the greatness I would be ... less confused but 40 years of therapy did some good ... I guess.. to detach and separate with love and respect etc.,

rhubarbodendron, Avro Arrow and KimMH like this.
  7. think

would I make a Positive affirmation thread... I am good at affirmations

KimMH likes this.
  8. Gryffindorian

I just realized there is such a personality type called Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, which is not to be confused with OCD. I guess the instructor was referring to the former, not the latter.

Sibyl and think like this.
  9. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

these abbreviations can be tricky. Particularly for people not directly involved with the problems they stand for.

I'm atm experiencing a sudden and a bit frightening decline of memory: I can't find a standard command in an excel table that I have used only a few moments before (like "save as", for example), I forget the names of colleagues that I have worked with for decades, I don't remember a word that I need but can think only of similar words or the exact opposite of the one I'm looking for - stuff like that.
    These blackouts last only a few minutes.
    Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms? Am I just getting old (I'm in the first months of menopause), or is it neural damage caused by diabetes? Could it be a lack of certain vitamins (B12, D) or plain Altzheimer's?
    I had 2 cases of brain cancer in my family but their symptoms were different and persistent so that I would exclude that possibility as a merely theoretical one.

KimMH likes this.
  10. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Please get it checked out. It may just be "getting older" but if it's not then the earlier it gets treated the better. My dad had a lot of problems before he died (including diabetes) but his mental decline was one of the worst and was partly responsible for his death.

11. Gryffindorian

I hope it's nothing serious. We all have "senior moments" regardless of age. I was going to get breakfast at a local café, and one of the owners was this nice Asian lady. For the life of me, I couldn't remember her name! It ends with -ene or -ine, like Francine or Darlene. But I didn't want to say her name wrong at the risk of embarrassing myself. So I decided to go to a different venue. :lol:

My mom has mild to moderate dementia and has been on the decline for the past few years. :( It's hard on my dad and the rest of us. Mom doesn't know the date or day of the week; I constantly tell her to look at the atomic calendar/clock on the wall. She's very repetitive ... wait, she's always been very repetitive even before the dementia. :lol: But seriously, she does repeat herself to the point that she doesn't realize it. She forgets people's names. She turned 80 last year, and while she's diabetic, she's physically strong enough but not as active as before.

rhubarbodendron likes this.
  12. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    I just turned 55 and I've noticed these types of problems also. Personally, I'm not worried about myself because it seems normal and is usually temporary as you described. None of the things you described are inconsistent with minor forgetfulness that we all experience and which tends to get worse as we age. At the same time, they can also be consistent with more serious problems. It's always good to see your doctor if you are concerned. If nothing else, then you can at least relax about it and just develop your own methods to deal with memory slips. Personally, I write notes, use my phone features for reminders and use google for things that I used to not need it for.

You can also look into doing tasks, hobbies and activities that tend to help the mind. I like to solve puzzles, I play a musical instrument, read and I'm lucky that my job as an engineer keeps my mind working constantly. In many ways my mind continues to get better because of these activities, but the memory is definitely not as sharp as when I was young, and learning new things takes longer than it used to.

13. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, I spent some time away from my job earlier this year and things are starting to click. I know even what questions to ask which is different considering the previous six months where I just felt lost.

Anyway, suffering from PTSD, Binge eating disorder, Borderline, and Schizoaffective, I have irritability and nervousness. This comes out as anger, especially when I feel neglected or looked down on, and this past week has made me realize that I fear the judgment of others. It's led to some damn stupid behavior, but underlying all this is fear of rejection.

It's a work in progress.

Sibyl, think and rhubarbodendron like this.
  14. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

^ that's a tricky one as people might reject you for being aggressive. How are you fighting it? With sports?
    When I get really furious, I make firewood. By now I think there's no elderly farmer in the vicinity who doesn't have a 2 year supply :D

LOL you must be my long lost twin :lol: I love sudoku, crossword puzzles and jigsaw puzzles and I play several instruments and you'll never find me without a book =). Also, I'm (still) fairly fluent in a foreign language (this one) that I use daily. I even dream in English (and what's really infuriating is that there I recall vocabulary from 35 years back at school that I can't remember when awake).

Thanks for the thumbs up, everyone! My GP thinks it is very likely just menopause (I'm 55, too) plus a lack of vitamins. He claims that it should get better in a year and almost rolled on the floor when I replied that if it persisted I'd call on him next year- if I remembered. Still, given my family's history he wants me to get a CT of the brain, just in case. I have an appointment with the big tube at the end of the month. I had one in November when I had an infection of the nerve that controls the sense of equilibrium so that we'll have a fairly fresh scan to compare with the new one. What counts against a brain tumor is the fact that the memory lapses happen in different brain regions, hence I consider a tumor or cancer the least likely source of the problem. My bet is on the vitamins.

15. Obsidian7

Obsidian7 Commander Red Shirt

Having a bit of an off day with the chronic anxiety/muscle tension/lower back pain. (Couldn't sleep last night either. My head was uncomfortable on the pillow. I had some kefir which helped.) My left index finger was twitchy earlier. :wtf: I've been knocking back kefir like it's going out of fashion. I think the last cup has thankfully kicked in now.

think and Gary Mitchell like this.
  16. Butters

I’m also having a down day. I had a few beers late last night while I was writing because I was sick of sleepless nights. I managed to fall asleep ok but don’t feel rested. I’ve started to sleep during the day because I’m exhausted, which then means I have trouble sleeping at night and I’m exhausted the next day. Need to break this cycle

Obsidian7 likes this.
  17. Butters

Thank god for the hour long tirade of physical and verbal abuse from my autistic child keeping my stress levels up, I was almost starting to feel positive. Phew.

Obsidian7 and think like this.
  18. Obsidian7

Obsidian7 Commander Red Shirt

That's definitely not a good cycle to be in. Can you wind down an hour before bed? No lights on, no internet, no tv/iphone screens etc? Or maybe start a little routine of some kind? Watch a comedy or talk show? Something lightweight?

I can relate to dealing with autistic family members. My niece is on the spectrum. When she kicks off it's pretty intense and can be a lot of work to calm her down.

Sibyl and Butters like this.
  19. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Is it a good thing to tell your cousin that he's okay as he is? I went to see a movie with my cousin who, I'm very sure, is also on the spectrum. I told him he is who he is because of it and he has gifts from it.

20. Butters

Ever have those days when you feel like a useless waste of space because you just can’t do anything?

Pile of laundry, needs folding and putting away. Won’t take long.

Lego on the living room floor. Could pick it up and put in the kids bedroom where it belongs. Only five minutes work, and I could vacuum.

Could water the veg, it’s nice outside.

Could write, that is a passion after all.

Watch TV, I’ve got access to pretty much everything.

Read a book. Prepare dinner, Anything! But just can’t.

This is depression, my way.