Mental Wellness Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Twilight Phoenix, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

You could get one of those kiddies trailers for behind your bike as long as you are just riding on the streets, no extreme riding with the dog in a trailer :biggrin:
    Maybe you could rent or buy a different type of boat that can hold the dog? But you'd have to get her a life jacket in case of capsize. :beer:

Plus rowing or riding with the added weight of the dog would be beneficial!:hugegrin:

Butters, KimMH and Steven P Bastien like this.
  2. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    Hmmm, good idea on the bike trailer. That could actually work well. Maybe not long bike rides, but I can ride her down to the park area and then she can sit for a while. She would love that.

Unfortunately, although she used to love the water, she does not like to be near it any more because she knows she would not be able to swim. I do have a canoe also, but I tried last summer and she panicked (and now we have an end run back to the subject of the thread :) ).

Butters and Nakita Akita like this.
  3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Would she fit in a life jacket for children? In that case she could go for a swim with you. It might actually do her good - strengthens the muscles without stressing the joints.
    But at the risk of sounding cruel: if she can't walk at all, is this really a life she can enjoy?
    I've been in this situation rather often, during the 55 years I've been keeping dogs. We want to have them around as long as possible and we don't want to imagine a life without them. But sooner or later we all must ask ourselves: is my decision based on what is best for me or on what is best for my dog? And sometimes it's best for them to let them go, as devastating as it is for us.

Steven P Bastien and Butters like this.
  4. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    I can try the water again this year. She panicked in the boat and when I held her in the water. But maybe the jacket makes a difference.

I hear you on the "letting go" part. Basically she is not in pain and she still seems to enjoy life. She loves to sit outside . Hence I feel it is not time yet. The only problem is when I work and leave her alone in the house. She hates that and leaves me a mess to show it. But even a young and healthy dog can have that issue.

It is very difficult for me however. I get hardly enough sleep, no vacations, and worry about her constantly. I can't buy anything nice and many of the nice things I had are ruined. So if I were to put her down now, it would be for my sake and not hers, and that is never going to be a choice I can make. I'll do it for her sake but not mine.

rhubarbodendron and Nakita Akita like this.
  5. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I agree. If the dog still seems happy, I think they should get to stay alive.
    I have no carpeting in my house:p
    I have vinyl floors and linoleum.
    My 5 year old rescue (puppy mill momma doggy) left me a puddle package last night.
    To her credit she does wake me up to tell me.
    1. It might be before or after the deposit.
    2. Who wants to get up at 1:12 am and let the dogs out and then they to get them back inside?

In 2016 I had a big dog that had bone cancer. He was on pain pills and he was happy right up until about the last 2 days. I had to call the vet out to put him down.
    The dig will let you know when he/she is wanting to go.

Steven P Bastien likes this.
  6. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

I have Asperger's syndrome, or Autism Spectrum Disorder, and I'm wondering if there are any free dating sites for people with such a mental illness. If not, which free mainstream dating service is most accepting of people with this illness? Thanks in advance for any information or assistance!

7. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Admiral Archer likes this.
  8. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you visited the Wrong Planet forums? It's a BBS for people with Asperger's. They have a board specifically for dating and relationship advice. That may be a good place to look for information on specific dating sites. Here's the link to the forums: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/

9. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

By the looks of it we have a lot here on the ASD spectrum. I haven't got it bad but enough to be pain in life.

Anyone here got dysprahixa? That really is a frustration in my life. To this day I have not found away around most of the problems this causes.

As for dating with ASD.

I have a number of friends with ASD including me. All have got married, many with wonderful spouses. ASD shouldn't hold you back from dating. Make it more difficult? Sure as hell, but not make it even near impossible.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  10. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

I'm wondering what my excuse is. I'm thirty years old, never had a single date until I was 27, and I dated her for two months. That's it. No one else has given me the time of day, and of the several people I've been madly in love with, NONE of them have felt remotely the same way. I broke up with my only girlfriend because I just didn't love her. I'm beginning to wonder if, statistically speaking, it IS nearly impossible for me to find the one for me. :(

11. Crazyewok

I didn't get my first girlfriend until 21. Only got engaged recently at 31 and she was only my 3rd girlfriend.

Dont sweat it to much. Best thing to do is try as many things as possible. Activities, dating sites, travelling.

Traveling was how I picked up my soul mate.

People like us might not be drowning in female attention like others, but it's there.

12. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

I guess after recent events I need to mention something again...

First, I may seem a little intense to most people. I do believe my heart is in the right place, but I do tend to overreact in unfamiliar situations.

That said, I try to be open and honest about my issues, not because I think I'm some wise person with all of the answers. Far from it. I believe I have next to no answers. I just post what I think and feel in the hopes that someone, somewhere, who is feeling lost and alone, much as I have throughout my life that might have similar issues, may see what I have to post and know they're not alone.

I don't have solutions. Hell, almost nothing I've tried for myself has worked for me. But I keep trying. I guess that's all we can do.

Depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues can be and often are hell to live with. For us and for those around us. I sympathize with everyone that needs to deal with me and others with severe MH issues. We can be frustrating and sometimes downright infuriating. I don't believe any of us mean to be that way. I know I'm just trying my best to make it through life and I'm sure most others that suffer from MH are, as well.

People throughout most of my life have been extremely closed-off, emotionally, and haven't talked about their issues. All I can try to do is be the opposite.

13. Crazyewok

You intense and overreact?
    You seem to be one of the nicest, intelligent and level headed people I know on here.

Obviously I haven't know you long so maybe I haven't seen a bad day? But I generally have a lot of respect for you.

14. Sibyl

Well, I'm kind of having a mental breakdown right now worrying about someone I've never been in the same room with.

I'm running myself ragged in the hopes that they're okay.

I'm almost out of caffeine.

KimMH likes this.
  15. Crazyewok

Sorry to hear that :confused:

I wont insult you by telling you some magic trick on how to get rid of the anxiety as I know what works for me likely wont work for you and you have likely heard it all before: Mindfulness, mediation ect

I will say one thing!
    Stay off the caffeine! That's not going to help anxiety! :wtf:

Armus and Sibyl like this.
  16. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I've been with my guy for over a year now. When we're together, like we were today, it's incredible. I'd honestly begun to give up hope and then March 2018 happened. We're both Aspies and we get each other.

17. Sibyl

I'm really happy for you! ♥

KimMH and Butters like this.
  18. Crazyewok

It's great when you find someone who understands our little habbits and even appreciates them.

I am very literal and black and white in thinking. Can be annoying even to me. My fiancee not ASD though loves the honesty though behind it and is also good at softing me in social situations. She also got at helping me with my dexterity problems due to my dyspraxia.

We both have anxiety however, with difrent triggers. We are both excellent at sending problems for each ahead of time. Situations which set me off, she good at coping with and vice versa.

Butters likes this.
  19. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Non functional day for me. Needs turning off and on again, if only there were such a switch.

KimMH likes this.
  20. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

^I have such a switch but it works only in dire emergencies. When I'm in mortal danger, I can completely switch off all emotions, think absolutely clear and logically, consider my situation and the possible solutions and pick the most promising one.
    Half an hout after the danger is over, the switch resets and I get a nervous breakdown LOL.

I've been scraping along an anxiety fit all day. Forgot my diabetes meds last evening and this morning and my sugar-clogged brain protests. I wish it'd find a different way to alert me. Why can't it simply make me hallucinate turquoise rats or an elephant in a tutu? Or just a huge metformin-pill?

KimMH likes this.