Material lining vertical jefferies tubes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Donny, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Does anyone know what kind of shiny metallic material lined the vertical Jefferies tubes? I'm trying to recreate the specific pattern used onto a bitmap texture for my Star Trek mod. Anyone know? I think it was also used on the diamond shaped serving tray in Journey to Babel and also some of the cargo boxes on the Enterprise.

I can't seem to get an image of the material up close on any episodes, but if anyone knows what the specific pattern is, please let me know!

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

This one?

[​IMG]

Another opportunity to say how much I love your mod. I'm looking forward to the new images. :bolian:

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Nah....the crew responsible for Trials and Tribbleations did a horrible job at recreating some of the Enterprise interiors. I've found many errors in their reconstruction and I don't even work for Paramount. Therefore, I'm not going to count anything in Trials as good reference.

Thanks for digging that up though. After looking at more screencaps, I decided that there probably is no clear picture of the pattern anywhere in TOS....unless in some rare production stills. Everything I've looked at was either too far away or too out of focus. So, after reviewing all the available caps and photos, I created a pattern that probably is something similar, if not the actual thing:
    [​IMG]

Unless anyone can dig up some photos to prove me wrong, I guess I'll use this one.

4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I'm just winging it on this one, but I think Jim Dwyer gave an interview in which he mentioned getting hold of this stuff for TOS (probably ST THE MAG.) Either that or Jim Rugg, the practical fx guy, who was supposedly writing a book or having his son write a book a few years back.

In any case, it is a diffraction grating, but I think the difference between the originals and what you see on DS9 is that diffractiion grating stuff is done with a holographic imprint now ... don't think that was the case back in the 60s. I remember using diffraction grating material (that was self adhesive, in tiny scotchtape like strips) back in the 70s on my little movies. I used it as control panel borders at first, but it looked too xmassy, and later on I used it behind control panel cutouts, so you'd see neat-looking activity (especially when the camera moved relative to it), so long as you had a flasher or some kind of interactive light activity playing off of it behind the console.

Yeah, I spent way too much time on this shit ... I also taped together about 900 of those little microfilm microfiche thingines they had in bookstores pre-computer and made one HELL of a cool blue computer wall out of it. If I'd had more time, I'd've done a whole corridor in the stuff.