Mark Millar Reportedly Signs Deal With Fox.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

And are we sure he hasn't made it up? ;)

3. Admiral_Young

Normally I'd question that but this is being run now by all the usual suspects so it would appear this is the real deal, and just in case...I did make sure I put in "reportedly". :)

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Millar signs with Fox is almost the sci-fi geek equivalent of a "... walked in a bar" joke setup.

5. Admiral_Young

6. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

It's not enough to sign a comic bookmovie "brand name".. you actually have to listen to him when he tells you that your multimillion dollar movie will suck for various reasons.

This is why i give Mavel such cread.. they hired cult favorite Joss Whedon who didn't have experience helming a blockbuster movie and apparently gave him free reign to make their most important movie.. it paid off.

Somehow i doubt Fox will go that far.. their superhero movies are more dictated by their marketing departments (i can't explain Fantastic Four any other way) and i'm doubtful Millar can exert enough control to prevent such a thing happening though i'd like to eat my words if it means we'll get good superhero movies out of Fox.

7. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Well I hope they signed Millar because they plan on listening to his advice. It would suck if they brought him on just to give him the Roddenberry treatment.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Fox should've done something like this over a year ago. I'm guessing this has something to do with Rothman leaving FOX. The old regime wouldn't have had the thought to try and use their licensed Marvel franchises into one coheseive universe.

X-Men
    Fantastic Four
    Daredevil
    Wolverine(we can count it as separate now probably)

Now they lose Daredevil, which leaves them with essentially team properties.
    Still, be interesting to follow the development.

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

You actually made me thing with the cohesive universe line. They could actually make a "Fantastic Four vs. X-Men" movie.

As for Millar, I don't like all his stuff, but he's written one of the best superhero comics of the last decade (the first two volumes of "The Ultimates"). And he does know his Marvel characters, having written both the Ultimate versions of the X-Men and the FF. So, if Fox will actually listen to him, this might be one hell of a ride.

Then again, WB hired Geoff Johns as a consultant on "Green Lantern", and that didn't work out that well.

10. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Millar gave us his Frightful Four (which kicked off the whole Marvel Zombie craze), so I imagine that will come up at some point. That would be an excuse to have X-men in the movie without big worries on getting the same actors back.

I like a lot of Millar's stuff (even his Superman Adventures stories based on the Timm animated series), but he's never really hit it out of the park with X-men or Fantastic Four. Ultimates was a home run.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not a fan.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Didn't Millar have Freddie Prinze Jr and Hulk eating people? Yeah..

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I haven't read a lot of Millar's work (Wolverine: Enemy of the State 1 & 2, Civil War, Kick-Ass 1 & 2, Hit-Girl), but what I have read I've enjoyed.

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

me either.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read any of his stuff myself yet, but most of the reactions I've seen to his stuff seem to be positive. So I'm thinking this will be a good thing, if they actually listen to him.
    Whenever I read that someone was hired with a vague title like "Consultant", I always wonder what they'll actually be doing.

16. Admiral_Young

Most likely just giving his opinion on various projects. I doubt that he will actually have as much influence on their projects as Joss will have with Marvels. It's different in the sense that Millar is not actually creatively attached to anything right now.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

First arc of Ultimate X-Men did.

18. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first two arcs of ULTIMATE X-MEN was the last time I liked anything by Millar.

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

To sum up: a small part of the Marvel movie scene is more dynamic and interesting than all of the DC movie scene. :p