Making History - season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Janeway’s Girl, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been almost a year since the trailer came out and now it finally premieres tonight!

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really looking forward to this. I love Last Man on Earth and The LEGO Movie, and all of the trailers have been hilarious. I work tonight though, so I'll have to wait and watch it online.

3. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really enjoyed the first episode. I already like Deborah and Chris. Lots of fun pop culture references too. I wish it was longer.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not sure how they are showing alterations tot he timeline.

It seemed like Dan was just imagining that Tea from Starbucks being evidence of British rule, all though that Statue seemed to indicate that this was a completely different timeline, which should suggest doppelgängers... Or that their arrival smothers their indigenous counterparts like it does in Timeless.

:) ;)

5. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Why does Chris(? the history teacher) know what Paul Revere did (was supposed to do) if Dan already had changed history preventing Paul Revere's ride and the American Revolution?
    I believe this show is using one timeline that can be altered by events changed in the past, not any multi-verse or Timeless theories, if they use any rules at all. Hey - it's a sitcom.

6. Guy Gardener

I'd say that the present changes in patches slowly, like a rash or hives.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the Paul Revere thing bugged me to, but other than that I enjoyed it.
    All three of the main characters were pretty likeable, and it had some pretty good jokes.
    I think at this point I'm more interested in seeing how Deborah reacts to the present than I am in more time travel shenanigans.

8. Guy Gardener

The British BURNT Danbury!

Hmmm.

Maybe Danbury didn't exist until after Dan traveled back in time and founded it, to burn it down a hundred years later at the first sight of the British? It could have been a specifically designed town to catch alight really easily.

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

After this most recent episode, I don't think anyone knows what kind of show they want to make. They had an idea that worked for the pilot, and now the whole show feels like it's on a downward spiral.

10. Guy Gardener

It's not great but ending on a cliff hanger each week, might suggest that they have a cohesive plan for the next 10 episodes.

11. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The second episode about guns was the best so far. The way the episode used historical analogies to do political satire on the modern issue of gun control was very clever. The best example of this is when the British officer says that he heard the colonists need their guns for hunting and then exclaims "Bow and arrows are for hunting! A musket can fire a bullet every minute. It is a mass killing machine!"

JasonJ and EnderAKH like this.
  12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's hard to imagine. I couldn't even get through the pilot. I didn't even mildly chuckle once. The characters were unlikeable, the premise was sloppy, and the jokes were either tasteless or pointless (that whole "Show me the money" thing was stupid). I gave up after the second act, and I wish I'd given up sooner. It's odd, because I saw the original presentation film last year, and it was basically a truncated version of the pilot, and at the time, I thought it had potential. But somehow, seeing the same material again in its fuller context just left me cold.

There's been a spate of time travel shows in the past couple of years, and I haven't been too happy with most of them. 12 Monkeys was pretty good in season 1, but the second season under new showrunners was rather less coherent and more fanciful with its time-travel rules, and I'm not optimistic about where it goes next. Timeless is somewhat entertaining with a good cast, but it's a total mess conceptually and too dependent on the Vast All-Powerful Conspiracy cliche. Frequency lost my interest after two weeks; I didn't like the leads, and the temporal logic seemed incoherent. And Time After Time so far is somewhat bland, not taking advantage of its potential, and also riding too hard on the conspiracy trope.

At least there's Legends of Tomorrow, which is totally dumb but still a lot of fun. Oh, and Netflix's Travelers is pretty interesting, a decent attempt to fill the niche left by Continuum (i.e. thoughtful, serious, very Vancouvery show about averting a dystopian future). Plus we've got Doctor Who coming back fairly soon.

13. Photoman15

Liked the 4th episode better than the first three. Hey, they established some time travel rules here at least, and they know what they do will change their history. Liked the adults watching thing when Dan realized what it was.

14. Guy Gardener

If Dan wanted to find out about time travel and make plans about how to use time travel, why didn't he go talk to his daddy?

15. Photoman15

He obviously has major "daddy issues". That talk may not ever happen.

16. Guy Gardener

Really? Because I see a love triangle where young Dan's dad runs off with Debby.

17. JasonJ

JasonJ Commander Red Shirt

I hope they don't do that; I think it devalues Deb and makes her a shallow character. It ruins her naive innocence.

I like this show a lot... it's fun and not serious with itself, which is refreshing when I have shows like Legends of Tomorrow and Doctor Who to shove the rules of time travel down my throat.

Plus, it was nice to see a parody/satire of the gun control debate that seemed to be more pro-gun leaning. It IS on Fox after all....

18. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ice cream shop scene seemed like an homage to back to the future II. You had a diner, an arcade and the protagonist confronting his childhood bully. Also, nice use of a time travel paradox where Dan actually caused his own bullying that he was trying to stop. The bathroom humor when Dan tried to eat all the ice cream was really stupid though. I really don't care for that kind of humor.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, the FOX television network is generally the more progressive of Rupert Murdoch's networks. Whatever his own leanings, he's happy to make money from viewers of all political stripes, so he caters to the right on Faux News and to the left on the FOX Network. Heck, FOX made its name by showing subversive, risque programs that gave social conservatives apoplectic fits, like Married... With Children and The Simpsons (back when it was considered shockingly bold rather than just part of the wallpaper). And most of its shows today are still pretty progressive, including minority-led shows like Empire and Rosewood, and Sleepy Hollow to a lesser degree. Heck, it carries Lucifer, a show with a bisexual male lead who is literally the Devil, and with a very revisionist and irreverent approach toward the whole God thing. (Heck, they gave God a wife who looks like Tricia Helfer. I'm amazed the religious right is so quiet about it, but there were only a few token objections to the general concept of the show itself last year.)

So if FOX is airing a show with a more conservative bent, that's actually atypical for it.

20. Guy Gardener

Is Vicki Lewis tiny?

She's about the same size as the rest of the news radio cast.

So, they're all tiny?