"Majel"--Google's answer to Siri

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by shivkala, Dec 13, 2011.

1. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's no secret that Google is looking to copy Siri for Android users and developer's are working on it under the codename "Majel," after Majel Barrett-Rodenberry:

Nice of them to throw in a homage, even if they don't release the final product under that name.

2. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

I really really would love it if they released it under that name.

3. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I really, really would love it if they released it with her voice as an option.

I mean, how fucking COOL would it be for real life to imitate art like that again? I'm sure it would be possible, there is such a massive catalogue of her voice acting available that they could probably derive her phonemes and create any word necessary.

4. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be brilliant, and I'm sure she's watching from her starship with a smile on her face.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it can't actually use Majel's voice, I say leave it be. :shrug:

I mean, sure, Majel herself wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't see the point of it if it doesn't actually sound like her...

6. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For years I've been wondering if there's a set of algorithms that could be developed that would allow a computer to simulate any person's voice just as there are algorithms that allow a computer to simulate the path of light to illuminate a 3D model in CGI.

A sort of voice equivalent to raytracing.

This would be tremendously useful for the entertainment industry, espionage, extortion, politics, and my answering machine.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have little interest in smartphones, but I have to admit this is pretty effing epic.

8. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

If for whatever reason her voice can't be used, maybe they could ask Jodi Durand, who did the voice for DS9's Cardassian computer.

9. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I would use it if it used Majel's voice.

10. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Yeah, I would buy it if it used Majel's voice.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The Android already has Iris.

12. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I can't help but think after seeing Siri on the iPhone4s last year and videogames using voice command like Mass Effect 3 and others using XBOX360's Microsoft's Kinect (and rumors of the next Playstation 4 including one) for physical motion movements that we are getting closer to a Star Trek Computer-like interface.

Google's voice command software and Apple's Siri in 3 more generations or in 10 years will be a lot closer to the Star Trek computer in TNG, DS9, VOY.