Magus Hansen

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Cate, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Cate

Cate Ensign Newbie

I've just watched Dark Frontier and wondered why no attempt was made to liberate Magnus Hansen, who was present when 7 and Janeway were rescued.

He is the father of 7. Would she have left the parent of any other crew member behind? 7 was obviously affected by seeing him and although Janeway wasn't present for the reunion, I'm sure that she was made aware of him being with the Borg Queen, once back on the delta flyer.

Considering the lengths she went to to help others, it seems bizarre that he was left behind. After all, if you can help one drone leave the collective, you can help a second.

2. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

Did Janeway really know that he was there? Are you sure Seven told her?

If they went back for him, why not go back for all of them? Where do you draw the line?

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  3. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

They didn't rescue Seven's dad for the same reason they didn't "Thomas Riker" Tuvix. They just didn't care enough to bother.

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Seven was still pissed at him.... I guess

Karma is a bitch :shrug:

5. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Can you, though? Seven already had tendencies towards independence even before Janeway freed her; not even considering Unimatrix Zero, Janeway freeing her was already her second time being disconnected from the collective and finding her independence, it's just that the first time ("Survival Instinct") didn't take. And we know that the Borg Queen specifically chose Seven as representative to Janeway for a reason and supposedly planned that she'd get separated. Assuming that's true, there has to be a reason why she chose Seven. It's possible that she was just naturally better able to adapt to separation from the hive mind than an arbitrary drone, whether that be biologically or psychologically or whatever.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Although as "Survival Instinct" showed, if a drone is separated from the collective (and not a special case like Seven was) it will assert its individuality soon enough anyway.

As for Hugh, though? Perhaps Hugh was a "native born" Borg, meaning he wasn't assimilated from some other life form - he was grown from within the collective (like the baby Borg we saw in "Q Who"). So he would have no innate individuality to regain. He had to develop it on his own.

Idran likes this.
  7. Sophie74656

The Borg do not just create drones. The baby we saw in Q Who was a baby that was assimlated as a baby and placed into a maturation chamber. We probably saw it just after that happened

8. Idran

That wasn't really stated anywhere, though; in fact, assimilation wasn't actually developed as a concept until "Best of Both Worlds". At the time of "Q Who", the idea of the writers actually was supposed to be that they were grown, from what I remember. Back during that episode, the writers' intention was that Borg were meant to not care about people or biology at all, just technology.

But anyway, behind the scenes stuff aside, I'm not sure there's ever been anything in the show to rule out the idea that drones are both assimilated and grown as needed. In fact, wouldn't the Alice Kruge Borg Queen coming back suggest that they'd have to have a way to grow a drone? Unless they just happened to be twins that were both used as queens for some reason. (Plus it'd just make sense to have a fallback if a ship starts running low on drones for some reason and there's no one within range to assimilate.)

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I always thought that the Thompson & Krige queens were meant to be the same one, just recast.

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I always preferred the notion that the "queen" is intended to be a spokesperson best-suited to whomever she's supposed to speak to.

Which is to say, I would have enjoyed seeing a Borg king addressing Janeway and Seven of Nine.

11. Idran

I never considered that, but that's possible. If confusing to me? So in that case the Queen played by Alice Kruge in "Endgame" is supposed to be the same as (and so look the same as) the one played by Susanna Thompson, and therefore in-universe isn't identical to the one Kruge played in "First Contact"?

Since the Thompson one wasn't killed off, that makes sense, yeah. I hadn't considered it before and I'm not sure I think of it that way myself, but it makes sense.

12. Sophie74656

It was mentioned that they do not "reproduce", seven said something like the Borg do not have time for single cell reproduction, they assimilate everything.

13. Idran

Ah yeah, I found the quote, from "Drone":

I think that still gives room enough, though; "in this fashion" could mean a lot of things.

14. Sophie74656

Also from Revulsion
    Seven : As Borg, we had no need for seduction, no time for single-cell fertilization. We saw a species we wanted, and we assimilated it.

Idran likes this.
  15. Travis James

Travis James Cadet Newbie

Seven's assimilated mother was oddly never seen......

16. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Our heroes should be liberating as many people as logistically possible really. Unless, the PD applies to the borg or something.

17. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Why? It would have been pushing it. Also, it's entirely possible she was destroyed/killed already. For all we know, she was on one of the two borg cubes that made it to Earth....

18. Sophie74656

I think it would have been odd to see her. There are billions upon billions of drones. It's odd enough that her father happened to be there.

19. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've wondered if the Queen didn't have him brought there on purpose to mess with Seven's head.

20. Sophie74656

That is possible.