Mad Men season 3 starts August 16

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am working my way through the first 2 seasons on DVD in preparation.

Not much has been revealed yet about the new season. It will now be 1964 and the theme of this year will be CHANGES. Not just culturally but for the characters.

I wonder if Mathew Weiner will start the season with the characters watching the Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan. Or that may be too obvious. Its sure to be mentioned in some fashion. Hard for advertising to ignore such a huge cultural event in their own backyard.

2. Dick Whitman

Well I just read a review in the new issue of Rolling Stone today.
    Which completely contradicts what had previously been revealed! They say its early 1963. He specifically said he was jumping to 64 to avoid the JFK assassination. Saying it has been overdone in film and tv already. Maybe Weiner had been giving false info.

A few scene descriptions but not much detail yet. There is mention of culture clash with the new British owners of Sterling Cooper. A pre-British Invasion? ;)

3. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fans might want to look at the latest issue of Vanity Fair (Sept 2009), containing a good article about Mad Men. It includes lots of stylish photos of Jon Hamm and January Jones. They probably would have made the cover, but VF obviously thought that Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett would sell more copies.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Excellent. I can't wait.

5. Dick Whitman

This is the real me... well not exactly! Really looks like me too!

[​IMG]

Now here are the characters from another favorite show of mine -

Anyone guess which it is? Came out very well. Did not even have to look at their pictures, just from memory. Met this first guy in March!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

I'm really looking forward to the third season! I haven't see the first season yet (really need to watch that!) but I really enjoyed the second season and I'm excited for the third to begin. I also really enjoyed the discussions we had in here about the show, so looking forward to talking about the new season with all of you as well. :)

7. Winged Victory

Winged Victory Captain Captain

I've got my DVR set for the whole season. Can't wait till Sunday! Here's me btw...if only work would let us drink martinis on the job. Sigh!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

It got a little weird towards the end of the second season there, when Don was on the west coast.

I can barely wait for the show to get started again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was the kind of weird I like! The show was getting a tad claustophobic before that episode. I don't want to feel like I know everything that a show is going to do, and there will be no surprises.

10. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

I love Mad Men, such an odd show. Can't wait for the new season. Who else thinks Don's adventure in Ca. will come back to haunt him?

11. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Doesn't seem that likely to me; he boffed some random flighty chick, but he's done plenty of that, and his wife knows it at this point. It seemed to me that the point of the last season's final episodes was Don finally coming to terms with himself and getting where he really wanted to be; if anything, it's Betty that now has some personal discomfort.

'63 or '64 is now taking us into the real cultural 1960s (1960 and 1962 being the hangover of the 1950s), which will be interesting to see.

12. Dorian Thompson

I still want Betty to walk out on Don's sorry ass, but that's ever more unlikely now that she's pregnant with their third child. I'm still waiting to see Pete turn into a flower child or some other hippie Haight Ashbury type. :lol:

13. Dick Whitman

So nobody has noticed yet that those are Sam and Al from Quantum Leap....

14. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I hate Pete Campbell more that I did Connor from Angel.

15. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

is this series legally watchable online anywhere?

16. Dick Whitman

Campbell is a little fucking weasel!

The actor does a great job.

17. Dorian Thompson

He's no more of a bad person than Don is. Don's just wrapped up in a prettier package. What I find amazing about Kartheiser is that he somehow makes Pete a sympathetic weasel, while I just want to punch Don in the face. Don's too handsome, too smooth. It's as if he wastes his gifts.

18. Dick Whitman

I find nothing sympathetic about Pete Campbell. He is rich boy who thinks everything should be handed to him. Draper is not sympathetic but he is much more interesting.

19. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

I find them both pretty intriguing, and I really like both actors. I know a lot of people didn't like Kartheiser on Angel, but I really did. He played Connor well. And Hamm is great. He was hilarious on 30 Rock, too! He's just perfect for the part of Draper.

20. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I find myself somewhat sympathetic to Pete; his family upbringing was clearly emotionally-constipated (look at all his super-formal attempts to express emotion). He's a jerk, but I find him oddly likeable.