Lunch with 3 people, living or dead...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Riker'sMailbox, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Riker'sMailbox

Riker'sMailbox Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Three separate lunch dates, each with one person living or dead.

Who do you choose and why?

Random_Spock likes this.
  2. Riker'sMailbox

1) Obama because I admire him so.
    2) Princess Diana because she used her powers for good.
    3) Dorothy Parker, we would have had a liquid lunch. She was just so bad ass for her time.

Honorable mention to Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Kilana2 likes this.
  3. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. Tough one, so many.

Probably Churchill, in a posh forties restaurant in London, if for no reason other than a selfie with cigars.

Joe Michael Straczynski in the mid late nineties, and chat about his plans for Babylon 5, and maybe get a selfie.

Gene Roddenberry, 1965, to talk about his plans for Star Trek. What he thought his core vision was and how he hoped it would be remembered in twenty-fifty years. And maybe get a selfie.

Riker'sMailbox likes this.
  4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just lunch, or could it be followed by additional social interactions?

Kor

5. Riker'sMailbox

Lunch could be followed by something. Mostly, because I am curious what'cha got.

6. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

Joss Whedon and Gene Roddenberry for sure to pick their brains and the third would be my grandmother because i miss her so much.

Riker'sMailbox and Brefugee like this.
  7. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

1) Gloria Steinem, she's one of the most significant people of the 20th century, it'd be so amazing to talk to her
    2) Michelle Obama, because of your same reasons for choosing Barack, lol
    3) Malala Yousafzai, I believe she'll be one of the most influential people in our world over the next 50 years, it'd be so incredible to get to know her now

8. Butters

I’m going with a long lunch followed by drinks and no track of time.

9. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

1. My great-grandmother (my maternal grandmother’s mother), because I have a bunch of questions about my family history, and she’s the only person who might be able to answer all of them.

2. Jesus, even though I am no longer a Christian, because he was a major influence on the world and on my life.

3. Too many options for someone living. Maybe Barack or Michelle Obama, or Cory Booker. Or Maggie Smith, or Patrick Stewart, or Michael Dorn. Or a cousin whom I’ve never met in person.

10. Riker'sMailbox

I toyed with Patrick Stewart, but then decided I would spend the whole lunch thinking untoward thoughts.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Interesting question, have to give it some thought but Churchill would be on the list.

12. Butters

If I was going for actors.

It would be Andreas Katsulas, and definitely get a cigar selfie.

Michael Ironside, so many movies to grill him about. What a life.

Brian Blessed, with a packet of beefy seabrook in The Clog and Hatchet. I’d spend the whole session trying to coax a natural ‘Chiswick, fresh horses! from him, and sharing memories of Goldthorpe.

Three Ain’t enough.

13. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I'd love to toy with Patrick Stewart hehe

Tora Ziyal and Riker'sMailbox like this.
  14. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Dead people:

Henry VIII
    Carl Sagan
    Pierre Trudeau

#2 and #3 should be obvious; they were both highly intelligent men who had a profound infuence on the societies in which they lived.

Why Henry VIII? I'd give him an education on human reproduction and genetics to point out that his first two wives were absolutely not at fault for producing daughters instead of sons, and rub his nose in the fact that the daughter of the wife he falsely accused of incest and witchcraft and subsequently murdered (Anne Boleyn), turned out to be Queen Elizabeth I... one of the greatest monarchs ever. I would tell him that history generally remembers him with contempt. Oh, and his lunch would consist of a lettuce sandwich and water. I'd have stuff to say to him, but treating him to the kind of excess he was used to? Nope.

Living people:

Justin Trudeau, to tell him that he's being a damn idiot for not undoing the UnFair Elections Act, reneging on his FPTP promise, and not going far enough on the assisted dying legislation.

C.J. Cherryh, who is one of my favorite science fiction authors. I've met her twice at conventions, but there are many things I'd like to ask her about, pertaining to her various books and short stories.

I'd have to think about the third choice. As with the deceased candidates, there are so many that it would be impossible to really choose only three.

Skellington likes this.
  15. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

A biological relative that’s no longer living. I’m interested in where his talent for music come from and about any other relatives that I will never know talents for the arts. I’m curious to why he led a double life.

And both grandmothers. For my paternal one, I miss her chicken &dumplins and pigeon peas and rice.

And then My mom’s mom, she passed ten years exactly before on the day I was born.

Tora Ziyal likes this.
  16. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Mark Twain, to be able to just talk to him about how things haven't changed over the years.

Abraham Lincoln, always found him rather fascinating.

Leonard Nimoy, just to chat. I respected him very much as a person and as an actor.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. Taylor Swift, favourite singer.
    2. Lucy Lawless, Xena is my favourite show.
    3. My grandpa, he died over a decade ago and I don’t remember our last conversation. It would be nice to catch up.

19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dead

1 Andy Kaufman: Just would love to try and figure him out.
    2 Abraham Lincoln: I would love to hear his insight on the modern world.
    3 George Carlin: Another person who I would love to meet and get thier insights on things.

Living

1 Bernie Sanders: I want to see if he is the real deal, Since he is one of only a handful of politicians I almost feel like I can say I trust them.
    2 Kevin Smith:Super nice guy in interviews and podcast.
    3 TIna Fey:Another comedy legend. Only this one is still alive and making stuff.

Jason

Random_Spock likes this.
  20. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Hmmmmmmmm. Tricky question. If I had that power, I'd say Dad, and he could bring Mum along, and then Mum, and she could bring Dad along. I miss them terribly.

But putting aside the sadness...

Living:
    Clive James, because he's really smart and really funny and quite deep.
    Jeri Ryan, because she's smart and I have a lot of respect for her.
    Howard Waldrop, because he's a funny, inventive fantasy writer who doesn't get anywhere near enough respect. Just to chat about some of his stories.

Dead
    Terry Pratchett, because, well, Terry Pratchett
    Gough Whitlam, Australian PM, amazing man. I'd also tell him what he didn't quite get right. :)
    Robert E Howard, and fill him in on what a difference he made to the fantasy genre. And maybe how he shouldn't end his life so soon, but then we get into the whole spoilers thing.

There are others who might get a look in. Gal Gadot, Marilyn Monroe (and tell her really, she's good), Einstein, Shakespeare, Connie Willis, George MacDonald Fraser, Arthur Philip (Australia's first Governor - I have a recurring fantasy that we have lunch on a boat in Sydney Harbour, and he could see this magnificent city that he is responsible for), Jon Lord (keyboards Deep Purple), Christy Moore.