Lt. Mary Sue on Lower Decks series

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by urbandk, Apr 24, 2019.

?

You know it's a good idea!

1. Make it so!

18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. The line must be drawn here!

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Her time has finally come.

Anna Yolei likes this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, Michael Burnham should stick to Discovery ;)

RedAlert, Nenya, Go-Captain and 17 others like this.
  3. Kzinti

Kzinti Captain Captain

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. Disco!Disco!

Disco!Disco! Commander Red Shirt

Boooooooooooo!

Markonian, Jinn, 1001001 and 8 others like this.
  5. urbandk

Womp womp :-)

6. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great bait, mate.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I regret nothing.:p:p
    I presume THIS is who the OP is talking about? It'd work as a gag for one episode.

8. Disco!Disco!

Didn't Kelvin!Kirk acknowledge his Stu-ness in that comic?

urbandk likes this.
  9. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

The Mary Sue is an invective that needs to be retired, since about 85 percent of the time I see it used, it seems to refer to the writer not liking the fact that a woman is the lead character.

burningoil, Blamo, KimMH and 32 others like this.
  10. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

It's basically a badly written character - male or female - that's too perfect, inexplicably good at everything, has no flaws, makes no mistakes, is never seen to struggle, is the focus of all plots and is loved by everyone. While this is a real literary trope, I agree calling it a "Mary Sue" has sexist connotations and seems to target women, allowing trolls to attack any female protagonist with that label.

11. Disco!Disco!

I think after the recent GoT brouhaha, more see the epithet for the sexist bullshit it is.

12. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not? If the show is about, and I quote,

Like TOS and TNG never ushered in young viewers yet told messages better? Oops, I digressed, but the article lumping it into the same paragraph as the remainder below sorta makes it easy to do...

That'll be interesting, the moment there's a hiccup in Engineering but they have no experience (or maturity, which is rather implied)... but that's cynicism to be expected and a do-all magical Mary/Marty trope would fit in perfectly. Just like Wesley in season one TNG? :shrug:

Or maybe this will be the first Trek show in how many decades to genuinely inspire instead telling stories that were answering questions that were never being asked and/or barrel-scraping pandering?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/star-trek-animated-series-featuring-153029736.html

And go figure, they're using a cel from the wrong animated show as... clickbate?

13. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ correction: TOS, TNG, et al, didn't need to be loaded with kids to appeal to kids. Kids always liked it because of the pew pew battles and robots and things. Then again, the inverse reason is also why adults don't care to watch Barney the Oddly Shaped Dinosaur.

14. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the yet-to-be-subtitled Nickelodeon CGI show for kids, notthe adult-oriented traditional cartoon Lower Decks for All-Access. Lower Decks will be more humor-focused, while I feel the Nickelodeon show (from what little we know) will be more serious and focus on the trials and tribulations of the renegade crew.

An intentional "Mary Sue" would fit best in a show like Lower Decks that doesn't seem to intend to take itself seriously at all. Heck, they could promote someone as a Mary Sue only to see her fail miserably at every task or kick the bucket in Episode 1 due to mishaps from the Lower Deck cast (a la The Rock's cameo in the Reno 911 movie).

urbandk likes this.
  15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lest we forget the origins of the "Mary Sue" business back in 1970s Trek fandom: https://fanlore.org/wiki/A_Trekkie's_Tale

But perhaps it is time to put it to rest. The term has come to be way overused in recent years, and used completely incorrectly at that! :thumbdown:

Kor

Scout101, dupersuper, ToddCam and 6 others like this.
  16. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Commander Red Shirt

The only somewhat positive of that term being used now is it easily identifies the person using it for what and who they really are. It's a huge red flag being waved when someone ones uses it to attack a female character or try to use it as a descriptor (which is always wrong). It makes it easier to determine who to ignore and who to look at more closely to see what other suspect and vile things they might be trying to say and push and what other coded words they might be trying to use.

17. urbandk

I am a Mary Sue stan and have nothing but admiration and respect for the youngest lieutenant in Starfleet.

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

How can he be a Stu when Diane Carey wasn't writing him.

ToddCam likes this.
  19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mary Sue can go and take Karen insults with it.

Jason

Tim Thomason and fireproof78 like this.
  20. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

The only eye-rolling thing that I felt was 'Mary Sue-ish' is that Michael is Sarek's ward and 'sister' to Spock, and the whole Vulcan thing, but this is the verse who threw Sybok on us. We can't say there isn't precedent. It's not like Sarek and Spock tell us their family tree. But eh I don't like DIS overall so who cares at this point. It's even less 'Mary Sue' and more like 'hamfisted'. Spock won't mention her in SNW and she won't talk about him in S3 unless he comes upon a statue of him or w/e but I won't see either so not my problem.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.