Losing the Peace: Destroyed 1701-E?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by camefromhell, Jan 29, 2009.

1. camefromhell

camefromhell Ensign Newbie

I've just searched through the upcoming books set after Destiny and found the cover of "Losing the Peace".

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/startrek/images/8/83/Book_losingpeace.jpg

When you look at the strange debris in the background you recognize the Warp Nacelles of a Sovereign class ship and almost invisible at the end the name "NCC-1701 E USS Enterprise" is visible.

Does that mean the E-E will be destroyed in this novel?

Yes, I know, there are still many letters in the alphabet but I like that ship!!!

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Why is Captain Picard wearing a pair of jeans and a badly photoshopped jumper? and where's his com-badge?

and why is there a rave party to the left of worf - complete with some guy in a hat grooving along (although his girlfriend to the far left looks like she's leaving to get some party snacks.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And why are the rank pips and the wording on the nacell reversed?

4. camefromhell

camefromhell Ensign Newbie

Mirror Universe? :lol:

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You know, somebody should really coin a saying about judging a book by its cover...

6. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Sometimes, people are just judging the cover by the cover. Seems to be the case here.

Didn't we hear that the artist is redoing certain elements of the cover?

7. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Oh my, seeing the cover in that high a resolution, you really REALLY do see all the problems with it quite clearly.

My concern however is that Worf and Picard seem to have been transformed into giants, given their relative size next to the nacelle. Even if you consider the wreckage being behind them they are still WAY too big. Then of course there is the row of people who are supposed to be behind the wreckage and they are half the size of the nacelles! :eek:

8. wew

wew Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, the adoption of Ancient art; the Kings and major political figures are portrayed as giants compared to the smaller figures of their minions.

9. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

...Was your response to the cover of Before Dishonor to wonder how Giant Translucent Seven of Nine was able to breathe without an EVA suit while standing next to that Borg cube?

10. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the cover is being redone cause its not shown in the back flap of ASD.

11. Brendan Moody

Bill Leisner mentioned on his blog that Margaret Clark told him "that Picard and Worf will be given combadges and new pants." So at least some aspects of the cover are being reworked, yes. But it's worth remembering that the cover is abstract, not an actual scene from the book, so it doesn't necessarily need to be treated as photo-realism. Which also answers the thread starter's question- the wrecked ship is more likely to be a metaphor than a literal scene.

12. LightningStorm

That cover was very clearly abstract images. This one however, is made to look like a scene where Picard, Worf, the wreckage, and the people are all standing together in the same place on the same planet.

And perhaps you took my wording of "my concern" too literally. It wasn't really a concern at all, it was more of the same that was already occurring in this thread of poking fun at the various strangeness's of the cover. So had there been one about Before Dishonor, yeah that would have been brought up there too -- in jest -- just like in this thread.

13. Brendan Moody

Maybe to you- to my eyes the LtP cover is clearly abstract as well. But more to the point...
    Perhaps you took my wording too literally as well- you're not the only one who can write a post "in jest."

14. LightningStorm

No biggie. Communication issues on the internet? Won't be the last time that happens. :)

15. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Oh, I don't know. I've always had trouble with that sort of thing, myself.

16. Brendan Moody

^I don't know, I seem to recall plenty of posts from you that were clearly in jest.

Posts that were funny, on the other hand...

17. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, but you rarely find anything funny, so I'm not really worried. :)

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure but that doesn't detract from the fact that the cover as presented is a really really poor hack job - nobody has even touched on the merits of the book, it's irrelevant to the discussion as it's developed - which is about the poor juxaposition of Picard in jeans against raving dude and people waiting to get into disneyworld in the rain.

19. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

And I do appreciate that everyone is waiting patiently before pointing out that the book is also a really really poor hack job. :)

Personally, I like the cover. It still needs to be tweaked a bit from this version, but I think it captures and conveys the post-disaster feel of Destiny's aftermath brilliantly. (I really should know who the artist is, so I could credit him/her.)

And seriously... why is everyone who looks at this image so quickly drawn to Patrick Stewart's crotch??

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I like the design and ideas on display, but it's just the way it actually looks (right now at least) that bothers me. I really think once it's cleaned up it'll be awsome.